New to the Phantom - Can't Figure This Out

Reaction score
[youtube]http://youtu.be/Nxp-Aess_uc[/youtube]

Not my video, but I'm having the same problem.

Unboxed my Phantom and realized it needed a firmware upgrade. So, per the DJI website, I installed the DJI drivers and the Naza-M Assistant Software (v. 2.12). Following this, I upgraded the Phantom to firmware version 3.12. I then unplugged the Phantom from the PC, detached the battery (the Phantom was beeping after the firmware update, with the Naza-M software said had been successful), re-attached the battery, and then plugged the Phantom back into the computer.

I then calibrated the IMU using the Basic and Advanced calibration, and, after unplugging it, calibrated the compass. Again, I detached and reattached the battery.

However, upon the restart, the Phantom - following it's initialization process - then proceeded to emit a series of red flashes per the video above.

It should not be a battery issue - I've tried three different batteries from three different companies: the default battery, an E-Flite battery, and a Tenergy battery.

Any help would be much appreciated - I've thrown quite a bit of money into this aircraft. Beginning to think I should have bought an F450...

How many red flashes?

Was it telling you that you had no satellite connection?
Were you outside?

Not sure what that could be - I'm a Noobie too, so hopefully somone will have some advice.

GoodnNuff said:
How many red flashes?

Were you outside?

Not sure what that could be - I'm a Noobie too, so hopefully somone will have some advice.

It was flashing 6 times per cycle of light flashes I believe, with a gap between each cycle.

Indoors and outdoors :/

Ordinarily I know that the red LED relates to being in GPS mode, but the light flashes continued regardless of mode (GPS/Atti)

First I'd try resetting the Phantom to default

Double check that the batteries are charging properly... are you plugging both connectors into the charger showing a solid red light, then when fully charged goes to green?

1 - double check the batteries to make sure they are charged

2 - plug phantom back into computer, start NAZA software, then plug in battery to phantom - double check / re-run IMU advance calibration.

3 - make sure you are not around metallic or magnetic objects and re-calibrate compass -- the compass is very sensitive to both magnetic and metallic objects. so if you have any add on components that is metal, move it away from the compass. you also should not place the phantom on a metallic surface or reinforced concrete surface since they have re-bars in them. try placing the phantom on top of a cardboard box and see if it helps.

TacoGrease said:
GoodnNuff said:
How many red flashes?

Were you outside?

It was flashing 6 times per cycle of light flashes I believe, with a gap between each cycle.

Indoors and outdoors :/

Ordinarily I know that the red LED relates to being in GPS mode, but the light flashes continued regardless of mode (GPS/Atti)

OK, I'll take a stab. There's no repeating 6-red LED blink with a space after the six blinks shown in the Quick Start Guide, which only shows continuous red LED blinking for both compass calibration and Phantom low battery alert. If you've checked your battery on a voltmeter and confirmed it's OK, that only leaves compass calibration.

The simple rotating the Phantom around vertical and horizontal calibration that's required with any new Phantom should be enough, and if it's successfully completed, will exit on its own with no action from the user. However, if the compass has ever been exposed to a magnetic field, the simple calibration won't resolve it, and there's a published method out there to do the de-magnetizing procedure. I have no way to know if yours need it.

On the IMU re-calibration thing, I don't know why you did that. The documentation doesn't link a red-blinking LED with an IMU calibration issue, a red/yellow alternately LED indicates that (pg 12). One thing you could do is connect the Phantom to the NAZA Assistant software, go to the applicable tab, and let the software check your IMU calibration and see its status. It will tell you if it's OK now, as it is. If it's not, it will prompt you to start the calibration process.

even though it's not in the guides for Phantom, the naza does show rapid red flashing is either low battery or calibration failure/ improper. Check the voltage settings and make sure low battery warning isn't set too high.

BruceTS said:
even though it's not in the guides for Phantom, the naza does show rapid red flashing is either low battery or calibration failure/ improper.

Blinking red LED points to COMPASS calibration failure (or low battery as I also said), not IMU calibration. That's the distinction I was trying to make.

From the guide -

smimucalibrled_zps1c187f59.jpg

Racklefratz said:
BruceTS said:
even though it's not in the guides for Phantom, the naza does show rapid red flashing is either low battery or calibration failure/ improper.

Blinking red LED points to COMPASS calibration failure (or low battery as I also said), not IMU calibration. That's the distinction I was trying to make.

From the guide -

smimucalibrled_zps1c187f59.jpg

compass calibration failure is 3 red the 3 yellow then repeated not just red.

edit* can't remember when I used a magnet to fix my compass if it was 3 quick flashes or just a long solid color alternating...

Here is the expanded image of the error code you posted. Basically any failure of the Naza will kick out the code. Usually reinstalling the default settings should correct the issue. Something happened when he uploaded the new firmware and messed up his settings.

Racklefratz said:
BruceTS said:
compass calibration failure is 3 red the 3 yellow then repeated not just red.

smcompasscalibrLED_zps35684746.jpg

When they wrote the Phantom manual, there are some errors. that image is an example. When you do compass calibration, you start horizontal after a solid yellow light appears, then it turns green (not red as in your image from Phantom manual) then you do vertical calibration.

Go the the Naza-M manual and it will show more detailed description

here's how one person fixed his red blinking problem
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1774532

BruceTS said:
When they wrote the Phantom manual, there are some errors. that image is an example.

OK. You're the expert. All I have to go by is the manual, full of errors though it may be.

I'll refrain from wasting my and others' time in the future on topics that ask for information published in the manual.

Yes, there it is in the Naza-M manual (regarding a series of red LED flashes):

"Low voltage alert or other abnormal alert*
(e.g. Configuration error, TX data error, Enable
low voltage protection without PMU, SN error
or Compass abnormal work.)

Recalibrated the Phantom; apparently the red flashes were resultant from an error with the Tx sticks (which I fixed)

However, now the Phantom flashes a series of 3 green flashes per cycle, with a gap between cycles. again, I do not know what this means.

TacoGrease said:
However, now the Phantom flashes a series of 3 green flashes per cycle, with a gap between cycles. again, I do not know what this means.

I'm disengaging from the forum; too many others here who have vastly more knowledge about everything "Phantom" than I. You're in good hands.

This place looks so friendly :)

I updated my phantom recently, got thru all calibrations etc, loaded default settings etc etc. went to fly, and crashed on take off lol . . . .

Oh, yes I have flown it before. Only a few times, but the two issues that caught me out that particular time was:

1. The new take off settings (that I'm not a fan of, I prefer the gradual build up as I increase throttle)

2. I found after the naza is updated, YOU NEED TO CALIBRATE THE CONTROLLER! I don't think this was mentioned in the update instructions, but it is in one of the manuals near the beginning. Went thru that procedure (incorrectly at first) and still had problems, then saw my error, re-calibrated to controller and now she flys fine.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/fGZ51lf1_pM[/youtube]

Now I am experiencing wobbles similar to this.

Multiple theories, no solutions :/

I also downgraded the firmware from 3.12 to 3.0 (could not access 3.10)

EDIT: Fixed and flying :D Thanks everyone!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub