New to the forum

Reaction score
Hi, my name is Gary and I'm new to this forum and a first time Phantom owner. I have 20 plus years in the r/c hobby mainly helicopters and wanted something different. Bought the DJI Phantom 3 Professional along with a extra battery and spare skids. Hopeing to take it out this weekend after work since it has stopped raining finally.
Just wanted to introduce myself and say hello to all. Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Reactions: bobmyers
Hello Gary, Welcome to the forum. You will love it. I too am waiting for rain to stop in central Texas to go out & fly.

Reactions: sensei87
Welcome! I was a TREX 600 flyer previously and the p3 can actually be a bit boring to fly. Thank god for the FPV

Last edited:
Thanks Larry, I've seen on the news that Texas has just been hammered with rain. Hope it lets up soon for you there.
Yep Gary, today was supposed to be sunny & warm. It rained all day. We are still getting the remainder of the tropical storm. At least Lake Travis that has been severely low for the last 7 years, is finally full again.

I have pulled the phantom out of the box for the first time today, it's telling me it needs a software update. With all the problems people have been having should I update it or wait. Does anyone know if the kinks have been worked out as of yet. Thanks

I wouldn't risk updating it. Benefits aren't worth the risks at this point. Next firmware should be out soon I would imagine and will hopefully be more stable and fix that intermittent craft sloppy low altitude hover VPS issue.

All anyone wants to talk about is problems and wanting solutions. You never hear about the tens of thousands of happy people NOT having issues. The decision to move forward with the new firmware is totally yours obviously. I upgraded the day it was released and I have had no troubles at all. 15 flights I think.. all in every environment you could imagine. Im not really too confident that the issues others have are firmware related any more than hardware related. But we all have our opinions.

BTW... Welcome to the forum. Ive been a fixed wing guy forever. Stepped into Heli's a few years ago and my P3P is my first quad.

I wouldn't risk updating it. Benefits aren't worth the risks at this point. Next firmware should be out soon I would imagine and will hopefully be more stable and fix that intermittent craft sloppy low altitude hover VPS issue.
Thanks, I tried to read as much as I could on the update but there are so many negative things on it I thought I should ask.
I learned my lesson on updating right away with Castles 160HV speed control about 5 years ago. My Trex 700 burst into flames all the way down. Was Castles update.

Why risk it though Steve? There haven't been many solid improvements since the first release. Risk vs. benefit Gary. If it works out of the box, fly it.

Reactions: Steve Moore
Im lovin it!! I have orientation issues with heli's for some reason. Never had issues with planes or cars though. The Phantom eliminated all that issue. Stable, predictable, and a hell of a video platform!

Raining here too. I was in your same situation. My bird got dropped off by UPS and the rain started 5 mins after and it rained for 3 days straight. I must have read the manual 30x however it made me much more
Prepared

All anyone wants to talk about is problems and wanting solutions. You never hear about the tens of thousands of happy people NOT having issues. The decision to move forward with the new firmware is totally yours obviously. I upgraded the day it was released and I have had no troubles at all. 15 flights I think.. all in every environment you could imagine. Im not really too confident that the issues others have are firmware related any more than hardware related. But we all have our opinions.
I've been really cautious on updates since I had a complete loss with a Castle Creation update on the 160HV. Don't live to trust new updates right off the bat.

Im lovin it!! I have orientation issues with heli's for some reason. Never had issues with planes or cars though. The Phantom eliminated all that issue. Stable, predictable, and a hell of a video platform!
Why risk it though Steve? There haven't been many solid improvements since the first release. Risk vs. benefit Gary. If it works out of the box, fly it.
Thats absolutely fair!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.