New To The Drone Wolrd

Reaction score
Hey guys I am new to the drone world and looking for some advice. I purchased a Hubsan X4 and want to get something I can fly outside. Would you recommend going for something big right away like the Phantom 2 or getting something cheap to start like the Syma X5C? Don't really know why I would need to take video but I have a GoPro Hero 4 so I figured why not. Also would you go Vision + or H4-3D gimbal?

The syma x5c is great. It's fun and durable. I don't fly it a whole lot outside but it's better then the hubsan. As for a phantom, make sure you know how to fly first, then decide if you really want it. The P3 is much better then either the vision of h4-3D, you should consider that. And you can get a phantom 3 for as much or less then a phantom 2.

Sent from my iPod touch using PhantomPilots mobile app

Thanks for the reply. I am in Wisconsin so I will order the Syma and keep my eyes out for a good deal on the P3. Would you suggest the camera that comes on the P3 or still go Zenmuse and GoPro?

The camera that comes with the p3 is great, but the biggest advantage to the GoPro plus p2 is that it is already set up for first person video(FPV). The p2 is something you can build off of to add different features, but the p3 comes with those features in one package. It's a completely ready to fly(RTF) product, as opposed to p2 plus GoPro, which will require additional accessories and add ons to do the same thing.

Sent from my iPod touch using PhantomPilots mobile app

Thanks for the reply. I am in Wisconsin so I will order the Syma and keep my eyes out for a good deal on the P3. Would you suggest the camera that comes on the P3 or still go Zenmuse and GoPro?
While the Syma X5C is a decent quad, the transmitter has range issues. The LaTrax Alias is an awesome quad, that has serious flight abilities and will be easy to fly for any beginner but will allow you challenge your skills as you get better through expert modes. Costs about $100 but is extremely durable and easy to fix should you break something. It also has the benefit of being sold mostly through hobby stores where you could get help or might eventually buy your Phantom.

Also good to consider are the Lishitoys L6036 and L6052 have great range but for really beginners only due the transmitters being "game" style, also these are too tame for advanced users. Just about any MJX quad or hex are awesome to start out on and I highly recommend the X600 (hex), the X400 (quad) or X101 (quad) from them. There are a bunch of others multi-rotors out there, too many to list here. Check them out on YouTube to see what you like. Good sources to buy these are from Amazon or if you are patient due to slower shipping from various China retailers such as Banggood or Gearbest you can save a lot of money, but be careful and only use PayPal to make your purchase. Regardless of what you buy you will be able to use those skills on your Phantom and you will be way ahead of anyone that doesn't know how to fly manually. This alone could save your investment on your Phantom or any multi-rotor.

As far as the camera goes, unless you have specific photography requirements, then the P3Pro or P3Advanced are good starting points and selecting either one will depend on how important the photography aspect is to your goals. Right now going to the Zenmuse or GoPro will send you on a different path, than simply purchasing a Phantom 3.

Just my opinions here...and Welcome to our World of Multi-rotor flight.

I highly recommend you search on YouTube the following reviewers: Quadcopter 101, Flyin' Ryan RC, Frequent Flyer RC or Seby Docky. Look at their recommendations but keep in mind they are experience pilots and generally like sport flying quads, not necessarily what a beginner needs to learn on.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj