New to phantoms

Reaction score
Hey All!!!

I'm new to this hobby & have a question as to which option would be the best for me. I currently have a phantom 1 & the most basic gopro. I'm looking to try and be able to stream the footage from my camera to my phone or some other device. I know I cant do this with the current gopro so my question to you guys is. Should I be looking into another camera?(if so which ones?) Is there a device that will allow a gopro to not interfere with the signal from my controller? Or should I be looking into the phantom 2 vision? Thanks All!!!

honestly Phantom 2's are a better point to enter the hobby (although not necessarily the Vision series) from the perspective of, it's a bit easier to add good, long range FPV to a P2 than a P1. (imo)

this gopro/phantom interference you refer to, I'll explain it: your RC control happens in the 2.4ghz frequency range which it just so happens wifi runs on similar frequencies, so if you turn the gopro's wifi on, it can interfere with your RC control signal.

The solution to this is to add FPV that broadcasts in the 5.8ghz range... so basically you take a video-out feed from the gopro and pipe it into a 5.8ghz FPV transmitter like the ImmersionRC 600mW, or Boscam TS353.
Since you're on a Phantom 1, there is not a plug and play cable that I'm aware of, so you'll have to make them yourself I think.
video signal is easy, just get a usb-out for the gopro and then patch the wires to the video-in (and video-ground) input into the transmitter.

What I don't know anything about is where on a Phantom 1 you'll pick up POWER for the video transmitter, someone else will have to tell you or I'm sure there are youtube videos

Phantom 2 VISION series flip everything around, run the RC control on 5.8Ghz so it can use a 2.4ghz wifi signal for the app, at the cost of range. it doesn't go very far unless you drop several hundred more dollars on antenna upgrade kits.

Awesome. Thanks for the response. I'll do some more research on what you gave me and go from there.

Hi im new to this aswell and just had a phantom vision plus v2 and my fpv runs 2.4ghz i presume and want fpv goggles but the all seem to run on 5.4ghz!!
I would just up grade the antenna on wifi extender but confused on what antenna to buy.
Any help plz

I agree with the above. You can cobble together an FPV system for the Phantom 1 but it really wouldn't be that great and range would be pretty poor.

Unfortunately, the jump up to the Phantom 2 + Zenmuse + FPV is a big jump in price so you still might like to try and FPV your Phantom 1 but just don't expect too much from it.

If your Phantom operates on 5.8ghz then you can safely use the GoPro Wifi to stream the live feed to the GoPro App on your smartphone/tablet. Equally there are cheaper cameras like the SJCAM which also have wifi.

The only problem with the P1 is flight time will be around 5-6 min loaded .
If you want a out of the box just add cell phone then the P2V is the way to go .
You can set up your P1 just takes some work if you want to go that way just let us know :D
as far as not that great of distance I disagree

Tim wood said:
Hi im new to this aswell and just had a phantom vision plus v2 and my fpv runs 2.4ghz i presume and want fpv goggles but the all seem to run on 5.4ghz!!
I would just up grade the antenna on wifi extender but confused on what antenna to buy.
Any help plz
Fat shark do 2.4ghz receiver modules for fpv. One of my tablets has an hdmi out, you could use this method as an alternative.

landmannnn said:
Tim wood said:
Any help plz
Fat shark do 2.4ghz receiver modules for fpv. One of my tablets has an hdmi out, you could use this method as an alternative.

No you can't... 2.4Ghz doesn't mean "wi-fi"... just a video feed on 2.4Ghz.
This would only work on the P2Vsion series...as they use the 5.8Ghz for control and there is no interference.

TeamYankee said:
landmannnn said:
Tim wood said:
Any help plz

No you can't... 2.4Ghz doesn't mean "wi-fi"... just a video feed on 2.4Ghz.
This would only work on the P2Vsion series...as they use the 5.8Ghz for control and there is no interference.

It may not mean WiFi, but 2.4Ghz and 5.8Ghz are commonly used for WiFi routers. If someone wishes to refer to those frequencies as WiFi, I can deal with it. :)

the best way to use goggles with a Vision series P2 is (imo) to just get goggles for your phone/tablet. There's an entire range from
$700 Cinemizer , or you can just get an A/V out cable for your phone/tablet and go into any cheap, knock-off $100 set of goggles with a video-in like the VG260 ($100)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers