New to Phantom: any Advice?

Reaction score
Hey guys!

So I've been building and flying 250 sized quads for a while, but really wanted a stable, High quality platform for aerial photography and just the general fun.

I did my research, comparing this to the 3DR solo and a few other contenders but in the end DJI won out.

Just ordered a Phantom 3 Professional with hard case and extra battery, two sets of props, and a set of prop guards.

What do you think? Any advice for a 250 sized pilot transitioning to a DJI Phantom? Tips for setup?

(And yes, I am also a private pilot ;) )

The right choice.. The right time..

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks! Really looking forward to this. I've been browsing here for a week or so, reading up on common mistakes.

All the calibration stuff is pretty overwhelming.... On my 250 it's just power on and fly!

Cancel the prop guards. If you have any RC experience you won't need those, only encumbering the flights.

I was going to get some, in the beginning of my wonderful DJI Experience, but soon realized I have no need or use for them. These new Phantom 3 Pro's when operating correctly, are so very stable and proficient in the air.
I suppose, if you really feel the need, get the clip on style, and save yourself some headaches down the road. Is the hard case you ordered big enough for rotor props attached and prop guards?

Suggest buying a couple spare batteries, you will eventually want them.

RedHotPoker

Cancel the prop guards. If you have any RC experience you won't need those, only encumbering the flights.

I was going to get some, in the beginning of my wonderful DJI Experience, but soon realized I have no need or use for them.
I suppose, if you really feel the need, get the clip on style, and save yourself some headaches down the road. Is the hard case you ordered big enough for rotor props attached and prop guards?
These new Phantom 3 Pro's when operating correctly, are so very stable and proficient in the air.

RedHotPoker

I bought the DJI Professsional package, so it comes with an extra battery and a hard case.

Given I'm used to 3x 9 minute flights, I think two batteries (at ~30 each) will be a lot to start!!!

Good point about the prop guards; I don't think they'll fit in the stock DJI hard case. I never had any, why start now?

I was going to get some, in the beginning of my wonderful DJI Experience, but soon realized I have no need or use for them. These new Phantom 3 Pro's when operating correctly, are so very stable and proficient in the air.

RedHotPoker
Hey guys!

So I've been building and flying 250 sized quads for a while, but really wanted a stable, High quality platform for aerial photography and just the general fun.

I did my research, comparing this to the 3DR solo and a few other contenders but in the end DJI won out.

Just ordered a Phantom 3 Professional with hard case and extra battery, two sets of props, and a set of prop guards.

What do you think? Any advice for a 250 sized pilot transitioning to a DJI Phantom? Tips for setup?

(And yes, I am also a private pilot ;) )
If you don't get the prop guards, get the UAV Strong arm plates to reinforce the motor mounts-- Might save some cracking issues that have been plagued some of the lads posting on the forum
Strong Arm reinforcement plates

Order another battery (or 3). You probably wont see 30min flight times but 15-20 very possible.

You'll love this aircraft because it's so solid and dependable. It goes where you point it.

If you aren't comfortable flying w/o GPS get that way ASAP so that you CAN take full manual control should the GPS assisted flight go wrong. This way you CAN fly it like you own it without GPS holding your hand LOL!

SEL here.

Enjoy and fly safe.

Reactions: PilotHarry
If you don't get the prop guards, get the UAV Strong arm plates to reinforce the motor mounts-- Might save some cracking issues that have been plagued some of the lads posting on the forum
Strong Arm reinforcement plates

WOW thanks for the heads up! I didn't know that some people had this issue.

Current PayPal balance is $3.86 so that will have to wait a few days, but it's definitely my first uograde.

That WONT void my warranty, right?

Order another battery (or 3). You probably wont see 30min flight times but 15-20 very possible.

You'll love this aircraft because it's so solid and dependable. It goes where you point it.

If you aren't comfortable flying w/o GPS get that way ASAP so that you CAN take full manual control should the GPS assisted flight go wrong. This way you CAN fly it like you own it without GPS holding your hand LOL!

SEL here.

Enjoy and fly safe.

I've been flying using a CC3d- so no GPS, no altitude, barely attitude.

Having GPS and orientation will be the weird part! Haha

Batteries are EXPENSIVE AS HELL! Very surprising to me; but I guess that's a "smart" battery for ya!

Nice to meet you :)

Yes Smart batteries = $$$ batteries but so far I am really liking the SMART batteries. I have about 35 other batteries (planks, heli, other MR etc) and I like the smart ones by far. I hope they ALL migrate to SMART batteries.

This aircraft is so rock solid I love showing people how it just holds position on and on and on until I tell it to do something else.

Reactions: PilotHarry
Yes Smart batteries = $$$ batteries but so far I am really liking the SMART batteries. I have about 35 other batteries (planks, heli, other MR etc) and I like the smart ones by far. I hope they ALL migrate to SMART batteries.

This aircraft is so rock solid I love showing people how it just holds position on and on and on until I tell it to do something else.

Ive never had a smart battery, just regular LIPOs with a voltage alarm on the balance port.

Sometimes no voltage alarm if I'm flying FPV haha

WOW thanks for the heads up! I didn't know that some people had this issue.

Current PayPal balance is $3.86 so that will have to wait a few days, but it's definitely my first uograde.

That WONT void my warranty, right?
no I wouldn't think so-- since you are not opening the shell. to put them on.

I have read that the cracks on the motor mounts were on earlier models so you should be ok. I have had my Phantom for 3 months now, problem free and a hell of a lot of fun!

you can easily switch from GPS to ATTI mode so the gps won't hold and it flies more naturally. I'm a bad RC heli pilot and still am! the P3 pretty much do everything for you, as long as you set it up correctly.

If you have questions with firmware upgrades, pm me and inwill give you my email. It can get tricky the first few times you do it. Love mt Phantom3 pro and my inspire

you can easily switch from GPS to ATTI mode so the gps won't hold and it flies more naturally. I'm a bad RC heli pilot and still am! the P3 pretty much do everything for you, as long as you set it up correctly.

@viper,
Well come on in, to the forum... Nice to meet you.
Enjoy your time wisely spent on the forum.

Awesome flying, happy landing...

RedHotPoker

I bought the hard case for my P3P also, and I like it for local flights. However, I've grown fond of my $50 Chinese backpack off ebay. You might too. I bought it so I could carry-on when flying places on commercial aircraft. I didn't think I was going to use it much, but at 11lbs fully loaded, it's a breeze to carry around on your back almost anywhere, hiking, bicycle, motorcycle, etc. I'm using it all the time now. The hard case weighs 15lbs empty, 23lbs loaded. A recent addition to my bike collection of an electric powered mountain bike, now I can go places I couldn't before with the backpack, way up in the hills. It's a great adventure taking electric mountain bikes places where you can't take a motorcycle, legally. Flying the Phantom way away from houses and people is peaceful, and pretty scenic at times. Backpacks are helpful.

Last edited:
Sounds like you and I think alike. & Are having equal fun. Nearly so.
The back pack style is way easier to maneuver and go with locally.
Loving the DJI branded hard shell back pack here. Great to travel with.
Imagine the fun I have. I rYde a '13 Can Am SpYder RS-S Roadster.

RedHotPoker

I have a good advice for you. Do not call yourself a pilot until you save your quad from a disaster. You are just a newbie lammer now, even if you have a real pilot license. Get used to it.

and yeah .... Get 5 batteries, 2 chargers, fly with assistant only (So he/she can tell all that freaking people to move away from you) and the main thing DO NOT FLY FOR FREE. 200 USD is a minimum for a half of a day (1 hour filming time - up to 3 hours on location). 500 USD is a good price for a full day.

If you have questions with firmware upgrades, pm me and inwill give you my email. It can get tricky the first few times you do it. Love mt Phantom3 pro and my inspire

I might take you up on this in 1-3 business days!

The instructions cover everything?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl