New to phantom and have questions.

Reaction score
Hello all since I am new to this forum and also new to the Phantom I have some questions but first some background, I am not new to quads, I have owned a Blade 350QX and a Blade 200QX for sometime and am quite well versed with the flight of the quadcopter. I did not get the phantom because of the extensive list with the led color combination and what they mean and also the computer software needed to set it up. Well I am now a proud owner of a Phantom V1.1.1 but have yet to fly it because it has rained here three days straight, but less concerned with all that I was bothered with at first. I have learned how to handle the quad and know how to stay out of trouble, I also have had helicopters so I do know a little about how to fly a RC.

One thing I am wondering about when I set up my Phantom with the computer it told me to update the firmware, well I was wondering if there are any problems with it, I have not seen any here posted but still it never hurts to ask. Also how hard would it be to put a different type receiver in the phantom so I could use my regular RC Radio and not this flimsy thing that came with the Phantom? I would rather use my Spektrum DX6 since I already use it with my other two quads. I cannot hardly wait to fly my phantom and most likely fly it in Attitude mode and not GPS since that is how I fly my 350QX, the GPS mode is just to slow for me, plus there is much less of a chance with something going wrong in Attitude mode. Also I have read that some are having problems with landing or something with the props and landing, is this something to be concerned with or is it just trying to land to fast?

Well all thank you for you time reading this and the responses I hope to get, I have learned a lot just reading the post but sometimes need to ask some questions.I am sure I will grow to like my new Phantom as much as I do my two Blades.

Welcome to the Phantom! I almost bought the 350QX, but I did the phantom route instead. Similar to you, my signature lists all the Blade products I have. I have not yet made the effort to get rid of the barbie doll controller and get a receiver for the Spektrum DX6i I have.

As far as updating the firmware, the manual lists exactly what you need to do to update the firmware. I have a 1.1.1 and we are lucky because our current firmware (4.0.2 i think??) does not have the included no fly zones that the P2+'s have. So, feel free to go ahead and update your firmware. While you are in the settings, you will want to make your S1 lower position (the right side stick) the failsafe RTH feature instead of having it stay disabled. When you need the RTH you don't want to have to turn off your TX to make it come back (you can't take control of it when you turn the TX back on).

To put a different receiver in, unfortunately most of this group uses TX other than Spektrum like Futabas. A google search should yield you decent results (https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=ph ... stallation).

Be sure to make one of your first upgrades the 9443 vision props for more flight time (new props are coming out to help out with the descending issue viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17468).

Thank you for the reply, I had a DX6i but when the new DX6 came out I sold the 6i and jumped on the 6 and I have to say a world of difference. I saw somewhere on either e-bay or amazon that they were selling a new 1.1.1 with a DX receiver and how to install it but at that time I was not in the market for the Phantom, I just hope the Phantom fly's as good as my 350QX because that quad has held it's own in 25 mile an hour wind and was really fun. Also I did put the failsafe on the S1 lower, I am not in the habit of turning off any TX ever. Thank you for the help hope to speak with you again.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik