New to drones

Reaction score
Hello I am new to drones and im looking to make the experience great

I see that batteries are rather expensive at 118 or so dollars. Are there any cheaper alternatives or should I stick to OEM ??

I purchased the P3 advanced is there anything there I should 100% buy?? Prop guides Props batteries gimbal protectors camera lens caps etc???

what is needed and what is not??
Thanks for the help

Yes, a second or third battery is convenient, but not a "needed" item. I use OEM only. Ditto lens cap, prop guards - later. I guess you have a tablet or phone you are pleased with. Before you buy anything else, read the manual, watch the training videos from DJI, spend some time on this site, run the simulator. I would put this all in the "needed" category. Then make some beginner-limited flights and get your sticks going. After that, you can look for gimbal guards, lens covers, filter, storage/transport case, apps, etc.

For me, great flying and photography come mostly from learning, not from purchases. Great flying to you!

OK great thanks... Any good sorces for batteries? I have an Ipad 4 and a samsung s7 for phones and a iphone 4 so i have some good things to use not sure which is best.. I do have some experience with Helis and rc planes so controls are not foreign to me ... (never got 100% with the helis so I hope these arent to much like a heli lol)

I don't know about the Samsung s7, but the iphone 4 and ipad4 won't work with DJI GO app. At least that's what I've read, the the processor chips are to under powered. I'm real new to the P3P having just opened the box tonight, but i'm planning on using my iphone 6s plus for now. I've used the ipad 4 and iphone 4s with my FC40 and the 6s plus is an improvement. Again, I don't have proof, but I've heard the latest version of the DGI GO app won't let you use aftermarket batteries. Maybe other forum members will jump in here with more concise infomation, but like Jumping said, take it slow at first and read all you can about the P3 and watch the DJI videos.
Fly safe.

Reactions: Txtwostep
I purchased the P3 advanced is there anything there I should 100% buy?? Prop guides Props batteries gimbal protectors camera lens caps etc???
what is needed and what is not??
Welcome to the forum ... the P3A is a great machine and it gives lots of bang per buck.
You'll have a blast.
I'd suggest holding back on the accessories for a bit and see what you really need before spending.
Most of what's out there isn't really necessary. The only extra items I'm using these days are extra batteries and SD cards.
I'd particularly advise that if you want to use prop guards, understand that they will act like sails, catching the wind and slowing your P3.
You're much better off just keeping the Phantom well away from trees, buildings etc.

Everybody' s different but they say that most crashes ocurr within the first 2 weeks. That being said I did crash around 6 months later. I had put what's listed here below on before I ever flew and they paid for themselves with the first crash. I think that the biggest saver was the carbon fiber camera guard because without that my camera would have been trashed because it not only protects things from hitting it, but it also holds it more or less in place during a crash and gives it a lot of protection. The Gimbal saver kept my ribbon cables intact and the strong arms saved my motors from being pulled out. So after 2 crashes everything still works fine because I use these. >

Amazon.com: Carbon Fiber Camera Guard for Phantom 3: Camera & Photo

Amazon.com : SKYREAT DJI Phantom 3 Gimbal Saver -Protector Phantom 3 Ribbon Cable & Motors : Camera & Photo

Amazon.com: Strong Arm Reinforcement & Motor cap: Toys & Games

The old saying for RC is that if it flies, it will crash. How it survives is up too you.

Everybody' s different but they say that most crashes ocurr within the first 2 weeks. That being said I did crash around 6 months later. I had put what's listed here below on before I ever flew and they paid for themselves with the first crash. I think that the biggest saver was the carbon fiber camera guard because without that my camera would have been trashed because it not only protects things from hitting it, but it also holds it more or less in place during a crash and gives it a lot of protection. The Gimbal saver kept my ribbon cables intact and the strong arms saved my motors from being pulled out. So after 2 crashes everything still works fine because I use these. >

Amazon.com: Carbon Fiber Camera Guard for Phantom 3: Camera & Photo

Amazon.com : SKYREAT DJI Phantom 3 Gimbal Saver -Protector Phantom 3 Ribbon Cable & Motors : Camera & Photo

Amazon.com: Strong Arm Reinforcement & Motor cap: Toys & Games

The old saying for RC is that if it flies, it will crash. How it survives is up too you.

lol Oh I know that.. Had a few Planes take a digger and the heli... lol Fixed that more than i thought poss lol

Reactions: Reed L
Yea, I put more money into the heli's then I paid for them, time and time again :)

Reactions: isopro
First successful flight ;) trying to see how to get the video off stick when i dont have an adapter? is there a way to do it from the camera itself?

Reactions: Reed L
You can attach the included USB cable from the gimbal to your computer.

[QUOTE="Jamie Chick, post: 744789, member: 57707"/QUOTE]

Hey - now you're getting somewhere :)

Watch out for those electrical(phone?)wires ! - a wrong move at the sticks and it's a crash

Just curious :) whats in all the sacks ?

Warning : It's highly addictive - I've had mine for almost two month now, and are getting better and better at flying - last night, when the sun was setting, I said to my wife - "I simply have to drive to beach to do some flying" :) and it was great - I followed two swans and the sea, and flew further away than I ever dared before (only 6-800 meters - taking the small steps :) )

[QUOTE="Jamie Chick, post: 744789, member: 57707"/QUOTE]

Hey - now you're getting somewhere :)

Watch out for those electrical(phone?)wires ! - a wrong move at the sticks and it's a crash

Just curious :) whats in all the sacks ?

Warning : It's highly addictive - I've had mine for almost two month now, and are getting better and better at flying - last night, when the sun was setting, I said to my wife - "I simply have to drive to beach to do some flying" :) and it was great - I followed two swans and the sea, and flew further away than I ever dared before (only 6-800 meters - taking the small steps :) )
Hey thanks yea I saw the wires :)
We racked leaves left from last fall lol that's what's in all the sacs
I got nervous going down the street I guess it's my rc airplane days where I needed to physically watch the craft lol gotta get used to trusting camera

One thing that you will find very handy is a case/backpack. You can keep everything together and when you arrive at a flight spot, you won't be missing anything. Like an SD card. Ask me how I know.

EBay has loads of very cheap cases - some as low as £20 or your currency equivalent. They work well - I've had a cheap one for about two and a half years now and it's still going strong.

My only advise is when thing get Harry and u are unsure as to what to do. Let go of the sticks and it will hover in place. Take a breath and continue. More than once when mine was new it saved me from doing the wrong thing. Helps u stay calm

Reactions: Slimwest1
Phantomhelp.com + credit card = lots of Good stuff
Welcome to the DJI money pit, were your quad become 1/3 the

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Becomes a third of your purchased value in less than a year. GL

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hi Jamie
at 3.10 it looks like you were doing the compass calibration, if so I thought that you had to point the nose towards the ground for the second part of the dance, it looked like you had the nose pointed at the sky, or have I got it wrong?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj