New to drones - concerned about CSC

It is well documented on the forum that descending with full left stick will NOT turn off the motors. It will NOT do that until it senses it has stopped descending (landed) and you then continue holding the left stick down for 3 seconds.
Thanks so much. This actually relieves me a lot.

Suppose I accidentally use CSC during flight and shut down the motors. Does the interface tell you that the motors have been shutdown? And can I simply quickly issue the CSC start motor command to restart the motors? Is there any audible warning for CSC motor shutdown?
It will just drop like a brick, no warning. For you to restart the motors you would probably need about 300m altitude to recover safely.
I have seen a video of someone intentionally do a CSC from a fairly high altitude and restart and recover. Not something i would even try. However i might try a recover if it ever did happen.
Someone tried this last week because they watched a similar video and then came on here giving out that he smashed his p3 up. Unless you can afford to buy a lot of p3's don't try this, you won't get any sympathy and you could hurt someone or damage someone else's property down to stupidity.
As I said above you would need considerable altitude to pull out of a csc. It's for emergency use only.

It will just drop like a brick, no warning. For you to restart the motors you would probably need about 300m altitude to recover safely.

Someone tried this last week because they watched a similar video and then came on here giving out that he smashed his p3 up. Unless you can afford to buy a lot of p3's don't try this, you won't get any sympathy and you could hurt someone or damage someone else's property down to stupidity.
As I said above you would need considerable altitude to pull out of a csc. It's for emergency use only.

ok.

The context was certainly not from the aspect of trying it for the fun of it but rather recovery from an accidental CSC shutdown.

I was sincerely hoping that recovery from an accidental shutdown could be performed if you were aware of it quick enough with a lot less vertical space required. This is not was I was hoping to hear.
But if that's the way it is then it has to be dealt with accordingly.

300 meters seems like an awful lot of distance.

Hopefully P4 will have a use selectable option for this or DJI will incorporate it into a FW update.
(I won't hold my breath in any event)

Honestly man once you are aware of the csc positions and you don't throw it around in the air like a crazy chimp is flying it (haha thanks Meta that quote still cracks me up) you will be fine and won't do it accidentally. You'll be grand, keep it in the back of your head for the next few weeks and it will become instinct after that and you won't even need to think about it again. Now get out there and fly and post up some cool pics and vids man!

Reactions: JKDSensei
ok.

The context was certainly not from the aspect of trying it for the fun of it but rather recovery from an accidental CSC shutdown.

I was sincerely hoping that recovery from an accidental shutdown could be performed if you were aware of it quick enough with a lot less vertical space required. This is not was I was hoping to hear.
But if that's the way it is then it has to be dealt with accordingly.

300 meters seems like an awful lot of distance.

Hopefully P4 will have a use selectable option for this or DJI will incorporate it into a FW update.
(I won't hold my breath in any event)

I feel very confident in saying that DJI will not give the user the option to disable it. It is there for a reason.

Honestly man once you are aware of the csc positions and you don't throw it around in the air like a crazy chimp is flying it (haha thanks Meta that quote still cracks me up) you will be fine and won't do it accidentally. You'll be grand, keep it in the back of your head for the next few weeks and it will become instinct after that and you won't even need to think about it again. Now get out there and fly and post up some cool pics and vids man!

lol
You know, back when I built my very first radio controlled airplane when I was 15, (a Sig Kadet), I drove that thing around on the ground for a good two weeks. I finally let an experienced pilot fly it. Then he would let me take over and helped me learn to fly. Dave Link was his name. He probably never realized it but his kindness and patience left a lifetime impression on me.

I'm sure this will go fine.
Thanks

lol
You know, back when I built my very first radio controlled airplane when I was 15, (a Sig Kadet), I drove that thing around on the ground for a good two weeks. I finally let an experienced pilot fly it. Then he would let me take over and helped me learn to fly. Dave Link was his name. He probably never realized it but his kindness and patience left a lifetime impression on me.

Thanks
You're very welcome,
I bet it will go more than fine. Now go fly the feckin thing and next year help other guys out and be a Dave Link and leave an impression on someone else :D

Reactions: Oso and Marlin009
lol

Thanks

When I built my first RC plane I took it to the field and one of the guys checked it over. Took it off, flew it, and landed it. Then made some adjustments and took it off and let me fly then landed it for me. I worked my way up to doing it myself or it would have been a pile of rubble. Dave Link's are everywhere. :cool:

Reactions: Mal_PV2_Ireland
I had a P3P and lost it. Although I always flew safely, one day I was trying to get a better angle to see an image. I was too high, therefore I began descending. As we learn how to fly, we feel comfortable about combining commands so I was moving it backwards/left at same time. Then, I just tried to move the image to the right and that was it...
Sorry, I a deeply disagree with those that says the CSC position is not a possible flight position for the sticks.
Also, I believe most of the pilots turn off the engines by putting down the left stick for a few seconds when landed. I mean, the CSC maneuver is out of our " radar" because we do not use it ever.
Yes, I learnt the lesson by the worst way.
I think the controller has so many buttons that DJI could have set a emergency procedure away from the flight controllers.
The current way is nonsense not to say worse.

I was trying to get a better angle to see an image. I was too high, therefore I began descending. ... I was moving it backwards/left at same time.
Then, I just tried to move the image to the right and that was it...
To CSC in flight you have to be descending in a max-speed corkscrew at the same time as flying backwards-sideways at max speed.
That's a pretty violent move and not the kind of thing most people would use to adjust their framing.
Are you sure that you accidentally initiated CSC?
You can confirm by looking at the stick input in the replay of your flight record like this:
i-7hzmp6L-L.png

To CSC in flight you have to be descending in a max-speed corkscrew at the same time as flying backwards-sideways at max speed.
That's a pretty violent move and not the kind of thing most people would use to adjust their framing.
Are you sure that you accidentally initiated CSC?
i-7hzmp6L-L.png
Meta one of these days they might actually believe we know what we're talking about. I'm now renaming it the Crazy Super Chimp maneuver
200w (2).gif

Meta one of these days they might actually believe we know what we're talking about.
I really dig your wild GIFs and demonstrations of how it's improbable. On the other hand though, I really cannot ignore the fact that it's not too far-fetched to happen. Are the pilots doing this really flying like crazy chimps? Perhaps some of them will speak up and explain how they did it.

I really dig your wild GIFs and demonstrations of how it's improbable. On the other hand though, I really cannot ignore the fact that it's not too far-fetched to happen. Are the pilots doing this really flying like crazy chimps? Perhaps some of them will speak up and explain how they did it.
They do it because they dont read the manual fully, not from trying to pull off a mental corkscrew maneuver. Even if you could disable the CSC can you imagine what that video would look like? What jumps to my mind is a skydiver with a gopro, who's chute didnt open properly, spinning out of control.

Even if you could disable the CSC can you imagine what that video would look like?
Sure -- intentionally flying with the sticks in that position for a long period of time would not make much sense. However, those who do it will never see their chimp like behavior come to fruition since their Phantom will shut down in less than one second.

While flying the P3P in the canyons near Tucson I've worried about CSC while descending the steeper canyons. These are the only times I've had the left stick all the way down (such a slow descent!), so I'm always thinking of the inputs I give to the right stick in these situations: Never anything crazy while letting the bird descend as fast as the transmitter will allow...

At 1:11 I was full left stick down on this descent with no problems since I was doing nothing crazy with ailerons/elevator (right stick):

Its all about awarness. If someone is aware of a CSC they should be aware not to do it. I know thats a blunt statement but I remember reading this before I even started up my very first phantom and it stuck out like a fire engine siren so much that I was super aware of it. The age old saying, a phantom is ready to fly right out of the box but it doesnt mean the owner is.

Reactions: gringorio
Before my very first flight, and as I was reading the manual on the P3P, I decided I would only use method 2 below to stop the motors. I would use the left stick to land, and then after actually on the ground, I would then hold the left stick all the way straight down until the motors stopped. Thus never using CSC to stop the motors after landing. Thus I only use CSC to start the motors at the beginning of the flight. This thought process has helped me to avoid the fear of a CSC in the air. It might help you.
Joe
KC7GHT

i-ZhRNmjb-L.jpg

Reactions: Mal_PV2_Ireland
While flying the P3P in the canyons near Tucson I've worried about CSC while descending the steeper canyons. These are the only times I've had the left stick all the way down
Left stick down isn't CSC and it won't shut down your motors in flight.
Left stick down is a normal descent move and is completely safe.

Reactions: gringorio
Left stick down isn't CSC and it won't shut down your motors in flight.
Left stick down is a normal descent move and is completely safe.

I know... What I was suggesting is that with full left stick down a CSC could occur if you did something funky simultaneously with the right stick...

I don't understand how one could accidentally perform a CSC unless just wantonly issuing commands. The sticks are there to control the aircraft in orderly flight. What flight maneuver would one be attempting in the CSC positions?

I suppose I see it as, "You could be driving down the highway, cut the wheel hard left, throw the gearshift in reverse, & turn off the key. But why?"

Hello,
I am considering the purchase of a new Phantom 3.

However, I have read accounts of people (mainly newbies to drones, as I am) inadvertently entering commands with the joysticks to shut down the motors. I also understand it is not common. However, it would be nice to avoid this altogether.

This is probably no issue for experienced pilots, but for new pilots who would be rather nervous during first flights, I can easily see how the CSC command might be accidentally issued by a panicked or unskilled pilot.

I have been on several forums including the DJI forum researching this topic and just found this forum tonight.

I do realize that one should thoroughly read the manual, however, there is no substitute for practise. Getting from zero to proficient pilot on one Phantom would be desirable.

So my question is how do you become proficient without accidentally sending CSC command?

Thank you

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20