New to Drone flying.

Reaction score
Hey guys, bought my first drone a DJI P3P on cyber Monday. It gets here on thurs. I love the forum so far, lot's and lot's of info on here.

question. do many of you put on those dampers? or maybe what im asking.. what aftermarket accessories should i purchase? TIA

Back when the P3P was $1500, I put on the extra's but you don't really need them until you crash and even then it depends on how bad of a crash. I have crashed twice and with the added protection was able to be back in the air in just a few minutes both times, but I wanted the added protection because I paid double or more then what they sell for today. Basically you bought a disposable at a good price, so is it worth it to you? If you had bought a P4P, I would say buy them all but now you're not having to protect a $1200+ investment, so it's a toss up to me. But they are listed in my signature and many times do pay for themselves the first time you crash, as long as it's not from 200' in the air onto the freeway.

First drone....do not take anything for granted. Do searches and check the manual rather then be lazy and post a 1,000 threads that have already been asked.

Send me a PM/Conversation anytime you need help!

Be prepared to have a lot of fun....

Hey guys, bought my first drone a DJI P3P on cyber Monday. It gets here on thurs. I love the forum so far, lot's and lot's of info on here.

question. do many of you put on those dampers? or maybe what im asking.. what aftermarket accessories should i purchase? TIA

Not sure what "dampers" are other then the white rubber shock absorbers on the gimbal to the camera connection. Are "dampers" prop guards? If so, it's personal preference. If you ever hit something just right they may save you from a crash. Otherwise they may cause more wind resistance. Again, personal preference. I bought some for my P2 but never used them. When I started I just made sure I was not close to anything when flying. But obviously not one plans on running into anything.

Extras to get? Batteries, batteries and then some more batteries. I recommend looking at after market gimbal locks as they are much easier to install and remove each time you fly. You may also want to consider extra batteries. If you go with extra batteries at some point you may want to look at a "blue charger". It charges 3 batteries at once. You may also want to consider extra batteries.

Reactions: Oso

Welcome to the forum. Its good to hear that you've been reading through the forum already. You should have a great head start.

If you haven't heard yet, extra batteries! ;-)

If you are interested, the link below leads to some tips that I like to share with new P3A and P3P owners. It may not all make sense to you immediately, so maybe read it a couple of times now and then again after you've flown a bit. Good luck!

Soon to be new owner phantom 3 advanced

Not sure what "dampers" are other then the white rubber shock absorbers on the gimbal to the camera connection. Are "dampers" prop guards? If so, it's personal preference. If you ever hit something just right they may save you from a crash. Otherwise they may cause more wind resistance. Again, personal preference. I bought some for my P2 but never used them. When I started I just made sure I was not close to anything when flying. But obviously not one plans on running into anything.

Extras to get? Batteries, batteries and then some more batteries. I recommend looking at after market gimbal locks as they are much easier to install and remove each time you fly. You may also want to consider extra batteries. If you go with extra batteries at some point you may want to look at a "blue charger". It charges 3 batteries at once. You may also want to consider extra batteries.
Are you saying we should have extra batteries?

Reactions: Oso
Are you saying we should have extra batteries?
If all you are doing is flying in your back yard once every day or so, no you don't really need extra batteries. But why would you want to go to some really special location or event, driving sometimes hours and limit yourself to maybe 20 minutes of flying? That would be sort of like those people who used to take one roll of film (does anyone still remember roll film? LOL) when they went on vacation. I would bet that, on average Phantom pilots all have 3-4 batteries. And as been discussed many times on these forums, do yourself a favor and stick to original DJI bstteries. You may pay a little more , but are much less likely to have any problems than with some generic ones.

If all you are doing is flying in your back yard once every day or so, no you don't really need extra batteries. But why would you want to go to some really special location or event, driving sometimes hours and limit yourself to maybe 20 minutes of flying? That would be sort of like those people who used to take one roll of film (does anyone still remember roll film? LOL) when they went on vacation. I would bet that, on average Phantom pilots all have 3-4 batteries. And as been discussed many times on these forums, do yourself a favor and stick to original DJI bstteries. You may pay a little more , but are much less likely to have any problems than with some generic ones.
I was being sarcastically humorous of course we need extra batteries I have 7 of them all screaming to fly

The most important "extra" you can have is free - take the advice of those in the know here. Before you even unbox it, let alone switch it on, connect it to the GO app and try and fly..... before you do ANYTHING... watch the unboxing DJI Tutorial video here (Phantom 3 Professional - Specs, FAQ, Tutorials, Downloads and DJI GO - DJI) then read the manual.... then watch the rest of the Tutorials, then read the manuals and then watch the tutorials again, then read the manuals again (you see a pattern here, right?!).
When you feel confident enough to go try it in the air.... please don't! Make sure you use the GO simulator first.... and read the manual again!
This isn't to frighten or worry you - it's to prep you properly so you, unlike many others, don't have a crash and wreck your very expensive UAV early in your piloting experience. I didn't even take it out of the box for three weeks after I bought it! I read and listened to those who knew better and I've not had an issue (so far!) that I've been unable to correct and I really do believe this was because I took it slowly, carefully and didn't try anything stupid. Just my view....

do yourself a favor and stick to original DJI bstteries. You may pay a little more , but are much less likely to have any problems than with some generic ones.

Amen to that! I can't stand reading a post about a crash and then seeing "well I was using an aftermarket battery...". Why would you trust an aftermarket battery with a Phantom?? Yea, they cost extra, but I'd rather fly with a "real" battery than a "fake" one... and also, doesn't the DJI warranty cover malfunction if related to a "real" battery? I also do the same with my photography equipment... I NEVER trust aftermarket batteries...

At some point, the number of batteries you need will be 'one more than I have'

The most important "extra" you can have is free - take the advice of those in the know here. Before you even unbox it, let alone switch it on, connect it to the GO app and try and fly..... before you do ANYTHING... watch the unboxing DJI Tutorial video here (Phantom 3 Professional - Specs, FAQ, Tutorials, Downloads and DJI GO - DJI) then read the manual.... then watch the rest of the Tutorials, then read the manuals and then watch the tutorials again, then read the manuals again (you see a pattern here, right?!).
When you feel confident enough to go try it in the air.... please don't! Make sure you use the GO simulator first.... and read the manual again!
This isn't to frighten or worry you - it's to prep you properly so you, unlike many others, don't have a crash and wreck your very expensive UAV early in your piloting experience. I didn't even take it out of the box for three weeks after I bought it! I read and listened to those who knew better and I've not had an issue (so far!) that I've been unable to correct and I really do believe this was because I took it slowly, carefully and didn't try anything stupid. Just my view....

I've watched a bunch of videos, read.. I still havent flown it.. but i'm reading some more.. I do like to have a bunch of info before i try it out... plus i'll fly it on beginner mode to get a feel for it..thanks again

The package i bought has 3 batteries, a back pack, and extra Props.....

question... should i purchase the DJI extra care warranty?

I've watched a bunch of videos, read.. I still havent flown it.. but i'm reading some more.. I do like to have a bunch of info before i try it out... plus i'll fly it on beginner mode to get a feel for it..thanks again
Good man! I know how difficult it is. And don't forget the simulator in the GO app too. It does help.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues