New to Apple world

Reaction score
I have a new P3P waiting for me at my parents in the UK which I will be collecting in 3 weeks, I will be buying an Ipad mini 4 before I go and want to get it ready programmed so I can hook it up and test the camera etc ( I wont be flying it as I need time to familiarise myself with all the functions) But my question is, never having owned a smart phone or Apple product, do I just go to the DJI website and download the Go App for my Ipad?
I won't know which version the drone has installed until I hook it up, is there a recommendation or should I stick with what's in it or go to the latest.
I just want to try the camera to make sure it doesn't have any blurring problems that I read about, I will save the programming and flying until I get it home. Its going to be a step up from my Syma X5 and helicopters.
Thanks for any advice from the experienced pilots.

When you get your iPad, click on the App Store icon (it's already pre-loaded) then search for DJI and install from there.

It really is up to you whether you update the firmware. Everyone has their own opinion on that.

Only a small number of people experienced problems with the camera - it will be unusual if yours has an issue.

Enjoy it!

One thing to consider when you buy your iPad is whether to get the wi-fi +cellular version or just the wi-fi model. If you are going to want to use "Follow me" and have the ability to reset the Home Point to your controller position if you move away from where you launched, you need the cellular version as it has GPS built in, which the wi-fi only version doesn't. (You don't need to buy a data plan for the cellular model in order to use it).

I tired a few different tablets and returned several, in the end I found the iPad 2 min with cellular the way to go. Of course a newer model 3 or 4 with cellular is good too. I have an Android tablet that was pretty cheap and it was under $100. Litchi on it is great and more featured than the ios version but I found the Go App on the iPad to be better than the Android version. In the end I picked the iPad with cellular. It's nice having the data and gpd on the iPad and iMovie rocks.

If you have a choice and $ is not an object, get the iPad mini 4 with cellular. You don't have to have a cellular contract/service for the built in GPS functionality. to work. This unit has the best display.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I have a new P3P waiting for me at my parents in the UK which I will be collecting in 3 weeks, I will be buying an Ipad mini 4 before I go and want to get it ready programmed so I can hook it up and test the camera etc ( I wont be flying it as I need time to familiarise myself with all the functions) But my question is, never having owned a smart phone or Apple product, do I just go to the DJI website and download the Go App for my Ipad?
I won't know which version the drone has installed until I hook it up, is there a recommendation or should I stick with what's in it or go to the latest.
I just want to try the camera to make sure it doesn't have any blurring problems that I read about, I will save the programming and flying until I get it home. Its going to be a step up from my Syma X5 and helicopters.
Thanks for any advice from the experienced pilots.
I use an iPad Air 2, which is excellent. Both the Air 2 and Mini 4 include a barometer which is used by some of the third party apps. Get the iPad with the best outdoors display for you.

Thank you all for the replies and advice, it will be a cellular model as 'follow me' and ability to change the Home Point are some of the functions that I particularly want to use as I hope to do some filming from my boat. I chose the Ipad 4 on the advice of a friend who works in the film industry and has several Phantoms and Inspires and does this for a living, and he having tried several different makes of tablet and all of the Ipad variants found the Ipad 4 + cell easiest to see outdoors in daylight.

Thank you all for the replies and advice, it will be a cellular model as 'follow me' and ability to change the Home Point are some of the functions that I particularly want to use as I hope to do some filming from my boat. I chose the Ipad 4 on the advice of a friend who works in the film industry and has several Phantoms and Inspires and does this for a living, and he having tried several different makes of tablet and all of the Ipad variants found the Ipad 4 + cell easiest to see outdoors in daylight.
Sounds like you are all set then. You will love the Phantom.

My feedback to this is that the features you said you wanted to use (follow me, etc) became available with aircraft FW version 1.4, so you should be at least on that to have those features. If however your Phantom comes with 1.5, I would say to move off of that version and go to 1.6 since 1.5 is known to be bad. You can read up about why it's bad in this terrific post from @John Locke .

Reactions: JoBe
I love my iPad mini 4. A word of advice. I certainly advise a good case for it, I prefer the Otter. But take it out of the case to mount it on the controller. The controller clamp does not function well with a case on the iPad. I had a cheap case first and, with it installed, the iPad fell off the clamp and cost me $300 for a cracked screen. The "bare" iPad fits nice and tight. If there is an aftermarket clamp that would accommodate a case I would like to hear about it.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl