New shimano action cam

1/3 lighter than gopro, potentially better sensor, waterproof w/o a case. We'll have to wait for comparison tests of course.

I said POTENTIALLY better sensor.

Backlit CMOS (I believe gopro is CMOS but not backlit) allows more pixels on the same size sensor w/o increased digital noise, but again we will have to see how it actually performs.

For the record I'm not gopro bashing. I have a hero 3 black and have no plans to ditch it in favor of the shimano unit. IF it performs on par with gopro I might consider one in the future for applications (like flying) where the lighter weight would be an advantage.

Anything that gopro sees as "real" competition is good for everyone because it should add some urgency to their pace of innovation.

One way to find out if it is better than a Go-Pro is to put them against each other and see what is different i.e. size, mounts, ease of use, how good the software is,and what can be done in camera, plus any other factor's you can think of, then sift the result's.

Mosleyh said:
1/3 lighter than gopro, potentially better sensor, waterproof w/o a case. We'll have to wait for comparison tests of course.

It should be noted that the Shimano is only lighter than the GoPro WITH the waterproof case. Anyone running a gimbal is mounting a naked GoPro, which is 75g (a bit less than the Shimano). If you're looking for weatherproof, the Shimano is a good option (I'm waiting for someone to mount an action cam on a boom and do a single air-to-underwater shot without faceplanting the quad into the water), but unless you're frequently flying in inclement weather or over water, I'd take the weight savings over the waterproofing for aerial.

ElGuano said:
Mosleyh said:

It should be noted that the Shimano is only lighter than the GoPro WITH the waterproof case. Anyone running a gimbal is mounting a naked GoPro, which is 75g (a bit less than the Shimano). If you're looking for weatherproof, the Shimano is a good option (I'm waiting for someone to mount an action cam on a boom and do a single air-to-underwater shot without faceplanting the quad into the water), but unless you're frequently flying in inclement weather or over water, I'd take the weight savings over the waterproofing for aerial.

Saw a video of that somewhere on YouTube... was pretty **** cool. Don't think it was a Phantom though, either a large hex or octo. Will try to find it again.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1