Hi there people as the title suggests compete noob needing advice
I had the hubsan x4 micro drone for about six months and flys
no problem still have it :) I want to get into this as a hobby
and watched the you tube vids was gonna go for the ar drone 2.0 power edition
until I saw the dji phantom fc40 very nice :) I do live in scotland so not the
best place to fly with gale force winds lol not looking to mod this much
but any help and advice from the panel of experts would be much appreciated
thanks folks :)

Go to the DJI website, download, print out and read the manual. Yes, it reads like stereo instructions. Besure to read the fourms for the quadcopter you are thinking about getting. There are lots of videos on YouTube. Watch and enjoy them. Once you have this, you will have a good basis to ask intelligent questions. The big thing is to relax and enjoy your toy and the sport. Welcome.

Thanks jerrymac12000 I will do that m8 av been watching u tube vids
everynight so I dont screw this up lol and hi phantomi the weather here
not great 80% of the time. a 15mph is like a normal day mostly it
is a blustery country only a few days with no wind so I dont expect
to get out much and with turning to autumn its gonna get a lot rougher
lol

If it's going to be windy, keep your quad as light as possible. An FC40 might well work out well for you, as it flies well in blustery conditions. Fit it with P2 props for more thrust and all will be good.

Heavier machines like the Vision+ and P2 with gimbal and GoPro will be more of a handful, as they will get knocked around by the wind more.

See my video of flying a heavy P2 against an FC40 on a windy day here: [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8XeBA48zec[/youtube]

Nice video there noiseboy72 :) Im gonna need to be well out in the open before I try
anything like flying closer to obstacles :s whats the max range for the fc40?
and I am going to order extra props m8 but dident know what kind
Cheers for that :)

Hi noiseboy72 is it props from a phantom 2 am looking
for? I typed in google dji pantom p2 props but as google
does it throwen up props for every model :s lol

P2 props fit, and that's what Chris flies with. The original props work fine, so why not try those first and then fit the higher thrust ones once you get confident?

VRS (Rapid uncontrolled descent) is ore of an issue with the P2 props than the original ones, but the difference is minor on the FC40.

Thanks again noiseboy72 I did read about the wee nuts coming off
and blades flying away and nose dives right after :s so always check
the nuts before take off am well impressed about the range 300-600
meters thats good for a basic model :)

noiseboy72 said:
If it's going to be windy, keep your quad as light as possible. An FC40 might well work out well for you, as it flies well in blustery conditions. Fit it with P2 props for more thrust and all will be good.

Heavier machines like the Vision+ and P2 with gimbal and GoPro will be more of a handful, as they will get knocked around by the wind more.

I must respectfully disagree: the heavier the machine is, the more stable it will be in windy conditions.

Before buying my P2 I had (and still have, in fact) a Parrot AR2. It's so light that it just gets blown away in the lightest breeze. Although it is of course GPS mode which holds the Phantom in place on a windy day, a lighter machine like the FC40 will rock around more than a heavier one such as a P2 with gimbal and camera.

Hi sorry iv been quiet the now am still waiting on my phantom
Being delivered I have watched a load of vids on u tube now
and I downloaded the manual from the dji website but jesus :s
I need to be data from startrek to get my head round this manual
lol

Yeah... the manual is not great!

Once you are sure you have the thing up and running - compass calibrated and a good GPS lock, the best advice is to get flying! Just choose a fairly calm day and give yourself loads of space. Get the 'bird up above head height and fly some gentle out and back flights. Gently build up your confidence, increasing range and height. Start flying a few geometric shapes and practice your landings, so the bird does not tip or just drop out of the sky due to descending too quickly and losing lift in your own wake.

They really are very easy to learn how to fly. Most crashes are caused by over confidence and trying to walk before you can run. Just take your time.

My comment about the FC40 being better in wind is that the thrust to weight ratio is better, so it recovers much more quickly from unexpected gusts - usually without any user effort. The extra weight of a fully loaded P2 means that lift is more marginal at the best of times, so factor in the wind and they can be a real handful. I fly FP and CP helicopters as well and would agree that with a "manual" aircraft, weight equals less skittish flying.

When you first get your new quad, and congratulations are in order, get ready for FUN! You want to do all the software stuff as you are shown in the videos. Do not try to fly with anything other then the stock props that come with your quad, get used to it like that. Fly low and close at first, practice flying in your area, the manual even tells you different things to learn so that you can become a good pilot. Always Check that both switches on the Radio Controller are in the up position. I am not telling you specifics since you really need to read and watch to learn.

Couple tricks I do. Check that both switches on the Radio Controller are in the up position. If you got the FC40, turn on the camera and when you have the app working on your phone or tablet start the recording before you take off. Also when you are landing, the first thing you do after stopping the props is turn off the recording, on the FC40 you can unplug the battery first if you want, on the other versions, first stop that recording before turning off the battery. Oh, and if you got the fC 40 you want to charge the camera from an AC adapter, not a usb connection.
When you go to take off, don't be afraid to give lots of throttle, maybe even peg the stick to get off the ground, then let it hover maybe 8' to 10' off the ground, (naturally you do the "compass dance" prior)

Have fun and let us know what you think. Oh, get up early before the wind. Remember if you try and fly in an enclosed area you might not get enough satellites to allow GPS to work.

and dont forget to Check that both switches on the Radio Controller are in the up position.!

When you go to take off, don't be afraid to give lots of throttle, maybe even peg the stick to get off the ground, then let it hover maybe 8' to 10' off the ground, (naturally you do the "compass dance" prior)

Good advise. This is where I messed up, I babied the throttle and my Phantom wanted to tip over before it would rise off the ground. It took a couple times before I just pegged the throttle and it would zip up pretty fast and then you just back off and hover it. After a few times you get the hang of lifting off. To me it's the most dangerous part of being new if you dont throttle up right, them props get chewed up fast when they hit the ground.

It took me one set to learn. :mrgreen:

very good advice guys thanks for that :) am always up early due to my work even
on days off I dont sleep late so I will be out before the wind picks up :)
theres no shortage of fields up here so I plan to use one for a practice
coz all the parks have to many trees dono how the gps will be coz
phone signals aint to great I was planing to use it up north
in fort william and thurso but phone signals up there are pants :s

also I bought an 2900mah overlander battery
as I heard the battery supplyed dont last long
please tell me I bought the right battery lol
it says it fits I to an fc40 and phantom 1

toorboy said:
also I bought an 2900mah overlander battery
as I heard the battery supplyed dont last long
please tell me I bought the right battery lol
it says it fits I to an fc40 and phantom 1

According to the published specs it will, but it'll be a tight fit.

thanks oi photography iv wasent sure lol
I watched a vid on utube of a guy doing surgery
in the battery door to make sure it went in
ok

toorboy said:
very good advice guys thanks for that :) am always up early due to my work even
on days off I dont sleep late so I will be out before the wind picks up :)
theres no shortage of fields up here so I plan to use one for a practice
coz all the parks have to many trees dono how the gps will be coz
phone signals aint to great I was planing to use it up north
in fort william and thurso but phone signals up there are pants :s

Remember that your phone works off of cell towers but the gps works on real in space satellites so trees might not block the sats signals. Just don't forget that the first time you go to fly to do the "compass Dance" and when you are flying make sure both switches are in the up position. Good luck and let us know how it goes. Have fun

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers