New requirement?

So, what's new?

—The pilots of a regional airliner flying at about 10,000 feet reported seeing at least one drone pass less than 500 feet above the plane moving slowly to the south toward Allegheny County Airport near Pittsburgh. The drone was described as black and gray with a thin body, about 5 feet to 6 feet long.

over 10,000 feet in the air?
5 to 6 feet long?

:shock:

kitari said:
—The pilots of a regional airliner flying at about 10,000 feet reported seeing at least one drone pass less than 500 feet above the plane moving slowly to the south toward Allegheny County Airport near Pittsburgh. The drone was described as black and gray with a thin body, about 5 feet to 6 feet long.

5 to 6 feet long?

Were the markings on the aircraft in English? Were they in ANY earth language??? :eek: :shock: :shock:

**** kids.... them and their toys.

kitari said:

5 to 6 feet long?

In the '70s, they were called UFO's. At one point as many as one per day in the USA. Most were determined to be birds, often a weather balloon (the NWS launched a lot of them in the 70's and 80's before we got weather satellites up), and sometimes "floaters" in the pilots' eyes. Is it just a coincidence that the number of UFO sightings dropped after the GOES (geostationary meteorological spacecraft) satellites went operational in the 70's?

So now, the fear-mongering news network is telling everyone what a huge risk that millions of uncontrolled drones present to their equally poorly informed viewing public. When an observer doesn't know what is being observed, the tiny brain is programmed to see a drone.

Steve, I'm glad you're here. We need more people like you with actual aviation experience to help debunk some of these crazy stories, the FAA and the perceived vs. actual risks.

ianwood said:
Steve, I'm glad you're here. We need more people like you with actual aviation experience to help debunk some of these crazy stories, the FAA and the perceived vs. actual risks.
Thanks, but I am certainly not infallible, just ask Deathcode from this thread: http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=29407 where he correctly takes me to task for conflagellating the airspace classifications. He is correct that I should know better.

Awww don't feel bad.

I don't know why people get into these debates when all the info is on the WWW anyways. ;)

Anyone can be a expert at the speed of thier connection. :lol:

No debate - I was wrong and DeathCode corrected me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic