New record for Stock RC !!! 33,231 ft/10,144m out AND back!

it seems to me that when i go far out, let's say 13,000 feet and i'll get a good signal the whole way and then turn around to come home and that's when i seem to start getting poor signal and even total loss of signal!

i wonder if i came back home facing away would i get a better signal?

i will try it on my next long distance flight.

i love my Phantom! :cool:

Haha I like your thinking !!!

Wow. FAA and Transport Canada restrict UAVs to 400 AGL as in the VFR world of aviation aircraft can descend to 500 ft AGL. This gives a 100 ft buffer. Also art raft flying above FL180 require a flight plan and a transponder.

You better inform the millions of birds that weigh far more and are made of bone and not plastic that the FAA is coming after them.

Wow. FAA and Transport Canada restrict UAVs to 400 AGL as in the VFR world of aviation aircraft can descend to 500 ft AGL. This gives a 100 ft buffer. Also art raft flying above FL180 require a flight plan and a transponder.

Looks like max AGL was 479'.

I'm not impressed that the law was broken and this action will entice others to do the same.
He is flying in the country of Greece, are you familiar with the laws on drones there? Maybe he is breaking no laws whatsoever. The US and or the FAA does not decide the rules for the rest of the world although we like to think that.

Dudley Do Right (mall cop probably) must have already crashed and figures he'll just go on here and piss on everyones party! Great job on flight record, kind of like a leap of faith flying by GPS and camera alone. Got a handful of said flights in, pretty amazing and fun.

The flight was off the coast of Greece. Which Greek laws were broken?

Apart from the law of 'common sense' (which is important in our recreational activity) I very much suspect that UAV's must be flown within line of sight - most Aviation Authorities define this to be within 500m horizontally.

As long as people continue with irresponsible flying, the more likely the regulators will hit us hard with tighter restrictions.

This kind of behaviour should not be encouraged on these forums, IMO.

Appreciate and understand your comments. However, it would be wise if you commented only when knowing full well the details of flight, location, law and regulation in that area, whether permission has been asked and granted, etc.

You broke a record...till the next one right? :)

PS.Αν δε το πνίξεις το πουλί δεν ησυχάζεις έτσι?:D

Just because you live in god forsaken New Brunswick and probably hate yourself and the world around you, doesn't mean that you can flame others for their accomplishments. Very rude to say the least.
Just because you live in god forsaken New Brunswick and probably hate yourself and the world around you, doesn't mean that you can flame others for their accomplishments. Very rude to say the least.

I don't think he's flaming anybody, he's making a valid point.

I've noticed that these forums quite often offer praise to 'achievements' accomplished by irresponsible or illegal flying.

This puzzles me. We should be encouraging sensible flying.

So it's important to remind everybody that (9 times out of 10) these kind of flights should not have been flown.

I would like to remind everyone that we are all here for a common reason, a love for the aerial platform we know as the Phantom. While everyone has their own style of flying I would like to think everyone here uses common sense and plans for safety when flying. Anytime you are BLOS you are taking a bigger risk than LOS. Until collision avoidance is a standard item on these birds the risk can be large. This particular video is flown over open water, the most likely thing he will hurt if something goes wrong is his ego and wallet. While we all like to think these birds are fairly reliable, and they are, but this is newer consumer technology and there is a long way to go before they are really trustworthy.

Secondly, everyone needs to be sure they have read the forum guidelines. You can find them here - Community Rules
Part of that says we should be friendly to one another. I would like to see that demonstrated, starting with this thread. You may not always agree with other posters but there is no need to attack them personally whether it is a comment about where they live or where you think they should shove something, it is not welcome here. Treat someone as if you were face to face having a conversation with them. So be happy, fly safely. ;)

I would like to remind everyone that we are all here for a common reason, a love for the aerial platform we know as the Phantom. While everyone has their own style of flying I would like to think everyone here uses common sense and plans for safety when flying. Anytime you are BLOS you are taking a bigger risk than LOS. Until collision avoidance is a standard item on these birds the risk can be large. This particular video is flown over open water, the most likely thing he will hurt if something goes wrong is his ego and wallet. While we all like to think these birds are fairly reliable, and they are, but this is newer consumer technology and there is a long way to go before they are really trustworthy.

Secondly, everyone needs to be sure they have read the forum guidelines. You can find them here - Community Rules
Part of that says we should be friendly to one another. I would like to see that demonstrated, starting with this thread. You may not always agree with other posters but there is no need to attack them personally whether it is a comment about where they live or where you think they should shove something, it is not welcome here. Treat someone as if you were face to face having a conversation with them. So be happy, fly safely. ;)

Very well said! Liked :)

Does anyone know if there is a step-by-step instruction on how to do a battery mod that was discussed in the original post?

To me that flight is amazing. I'm a new flyer and also live in the U.S. so flights that long are kinda illegal plus my phantom has never topped 35mph(and I'd be afraid to do that anyway). I also think you are both right based on where you guys live. And while I do believe flights this long should strictly be left to experienced pilots, us not so experienced need to exercise common sense and "do not attempt this at home". And wherever John is looks pretty awesome too, venues like that is one of the main reasons I have a phantom now.

That flight is amazing.... don't worry about that John Macnelly guy.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl