New pilot - confused about Naza-M

Reaction score
I've had my PVII for a couple of weeks now, and am very happy with the purchase (well, apart from DJI announcing the PVII+ but I guess that's what happens with new tech). The only think I'd like to improve is to get a gimbal to reduce camera movement - but it looks like there are some new ones coming out.

I had a few questions:

1) One thing I'm confused about is the Naza-M flight features. In the manual it talks about being able to enable this in the Assistant software. But what does Naza-M give me? Should I be enabling it? Do I need any extra hardware to enable Naza-M? Can someone explain in a simple way!

2) Am I right in saying that pre-programmed way-points is a planned feature for future firmware updates?

3) What distances have you guys flown (stock)?

4) Is there any way to get the flight data to show on recorded videos (eg. height / speed etc)

Thanks

Adrian (UK)

The "NAZA Mode" in the software (not to be confused with DJI's lower-tier "NAZA-M" hardware) unlocks a range of advanced settings that theoretically wouldn't be needed by the average P2V owner...as long as yours is flying fine now, there's probably no need to mess with that. It doesn't take any extra hardware, just connecting your Phantom to the software and switching the mode there.

Really wish Adam would make a few more stickies. No offence to the OP but this question and the answers get posted nearly everyday :lol:

OI Photography said:
The "NAZA Mode" in the software (not to be confused with DJI's lower-tier "NAZA-M" hardware) unlocks a range of advanced settings that theoretically wouldn't be needed by the average P2V owner...as long as yours is flying fine now, there's probably no need to mess with that. It doesn't take any extra hardware, just connecting your Phantom to the software and switching the mode there.

Thanks - the Intelligent Orientation Control (IOC) was the function that attracted me to the Naza functionality. But not sure id I'm going to get myself in trouble by using using it.

xgeek said:
Really wish Adam would make a few more stickies. No offence to the OP but this question and the answers get posted nearly everyday :lol:

Soz, I did try a search for Naza but couldn't find the answers :?

Not your fault mate. A simple sticky would save you a headache. The search on this site is not the best so its hard to find the info you are looking for.

ubernoob said:
I've had my PVII for a couple of weeks now, and am very happy with the purchase (well, apart from DJI announcing the PVII+ but I guess that's what happens with new tech). The only think I'd like to improve is to get a gimbal to reduce camera movement - but it looks like there are some new ones coming out.

I had a few questions:

1) One thing I'm confused about is the Naza-M flight features. In the manual it talks about being able to enable this in the Assistant software. But what does Naza-M give me? Should I be enabling it? Do I need any extra hardware to enable Naza-M? Can someone explain in a simple way!

2) Am I right in saying that pre-programmed way-points is a planned feature for future firmware updates?

3) What distances have you guys flown (stock)?

4) Is there any way to get the flight data to show on recorded videos (eg. height / speed etc)

Thanks

Adrian (UK)

I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to switch to NAZA mode. IOC is really nice to have handy, especially if you lose track of which way you're heading (just drop it into home loc, pull back on the right stick, and she comes back. The only thing I made sure of was to disable manual mode and instead use that switch position for failsafe for the time being, (nice to have a switch for that rather than turning off the transmitter). Just be certain you know what each switch position does to your control, and make sure you have them in the right positions for what you're trying to accomplish (I got a little confused after not flying for a week or so and thought I had put the craft in ATTI mode when instead I put it in course lock, so my stick inputs didn't do what I thought they would and I hit a tree).

There has been talk of waypoints becoming available for the vision app. since Dec. Not sure when or if this will happen with the release of the vision +, but I did see somewhere 4-6 weeks so maybe May?

Distance really varies depending on the terrain and wifi interference. I used to get around 600-800 feet before wifi cut out, but I did do the repeater mod and the furthest I've been with that is 2400 feet, and then I would lose contact with the transmitter. Just be careful if you dive into the mod as I drilled to close the the circuit board on the repeater and modded it useless!

I don't believe there is any way to get flight info on screen with recorded video with the stock P2V setup.

One tip to keep in mind when recording video is to get used to flying in ATTI mode and use the wind to your advantage. You get more stable fly-bys by positioning the camera where you want it and letting the craft draft in the wind. Just be careful because it doesn't hold altitude in ATTI mode if you're doing a high speed pass.

Only other thing I can add is practice, practice, practice, in an open area free of trees.

Ive only been flying since Feb and I went onto NAZA almost straight away.

As said previously, you can get better photos in Att mode because the Vision isn't constantly trying to maintain its position. Also occasionally switching to Att mode when you are clear of obstacles and practicing maintaining your position manually helps practice flying skills for perhaps the day when you loose satellites. (THATS'S ATT MODE AND NOT MANUAL MODE)

Also you've got IOC in NAZA and Ive used Home lock a couple of times when I've lost sight of the Vision and not sure which way its pointed. But you must be FASTIDIOUS in making sure you have home lock before you take off. You might see flashing green LEDs shortly after power on but this doesn't always mean you have home lock. The only way to be really sure is to go to Find My Vision in the DJI app and check that your position (blue dot) and the Vision's position (red dot) are on top of each other. If they are not it usually means the Vision thinks home is where it last flew, which maybe miles away.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20