New Piilot

Reaction score
Gentleman/ladies, I'm new to this site and likewise a new pilot and would really like your feedback. I'm currently practicing with an inexpensive drone in order to get my proficiency to a point where I'm comfortable enough to make a larger investment. I plan on buying a phantom 4 pro + however, I've read about numerous issues about software upgrades, uncontrollable flying situations, etc , etc. I know that the 4pro has improved optics over the 3 and 4, and that's what I'm looking for. I don't want to be plagued with other frustrating issues which keep me from achieving the ultimate which of course is a good photo and I don't really want to buy two of these just to have a backup. Any advice, recommendations, personal experiences would be greatly appreciated.

You should be happy if you buy P4P. You don't need to practice with cheap drones available in the market as this one is very stable and very easy to fly.

I am using a cheap trainer, to learn to fly without help, like Atti mode, in case of a problem. Better to bang up a $90 drone, until you feel comfortable.
I have many hours flying time, RC aircraft, Hang gliders, Ultralights and single engine aircraft. When I learned to fly aircraft, I flew a trainer. RC too, I flew a trainer and the same for all craft I flew. Don't plan on changing that now.:)
BQ

I'm currently practicing with an inexpensive drone in order to get my proficiency to a point where I'm comfortable enough to make a larger investment. I plan on buying a phantom 4 pro + however, I've read about numerous issues about software upgrades, uncontrollable flying situations, etc , etc.
The Phantom will be much easier to fly than any cheap "trainer" drone and your time might be better used learning about how the Phantom works.
The most important thing is to remember to do your early flying out in the open, well away from trees, buildings and other obstacles.
If there's nothing to hit, it's very hard to get into trouble.
What you're not getting from your reading is an idea of how many people fly their Phantoms with no real problems at all.
That's the majority but people don't post about having another safe and successful flight, just like the previous 200.

Any drone with GPS is going to be a cakewalk to fly compared to a toy. I have both a cheapie Holy Stone and a P4P, the P4P practically flies itself. Just the fact that it stops and stays put if you take your thumbs off the sticks makes it night and day vs the cheapies. I also noticed it's easier to tell which way the P4 is facing, even if I'm not looking at the screen. I think the camera makes it slightly less symmetrical. Plus the avoidance system is good. I haven't even come close to crashing. Crashed my Holy Stone numerous times. Just don't be foolish with the P4. I've also not had serious software or hardware issues in the 3 months I've have it.

im a newbie too, i bought a $100 drone, lost it, bought another one and got more comfortable with it before i bought the plus.
Unless you are very verry good on computers, buy your plus from a dealer that has good customer support for upgrades , updates and stuff like that.
its not even a question that any phantom will be much easier to fly than the $100. drones, the hard part about phantoms to me is the computer type stuff!!

There are also many good videos out there that will walk you through every controller menu, camera setting, etc. Plus you can play around with all this stuff without actually taking off.

Last edited:
Keep in mind, you're not just buying a camera, you're buying a "hobby".
I've had the P4P Plus since December, I love it. No issues.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl