New Phantom V1 board with H3-2D tilt (X1) channel.

Reaction score
Hi.

I have just updated my Phantom v1 with a new PC330CB board as well as adding the H3-2D.

After the upgrade I have upgraded the software to the last version and everything seems to work well - except for using the new lever on the remote control - for moving the H3-2D.

Using the PC program I can see all the movements I do on the other controls on the RC. However not the X1 axis. Even if I open the RC and turn the pot with a screwdriver no movement gets detetcted.

The receiver in the Phantom is the two aerial D-bus type. It has two plugs that I have connected to the X2 and X1 plugs inside the Phantom. Removing the one connected to X1 makes no difference but switching them makes nothing work.

Really dont understand so any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

I´m facing the exact same problem. Hope to solve it!

I didn´t tried yet, but I´ve found this here on the forum:
I had the same issue! While the pitch on the gimbal worked out of the box, it stopped working after a firmware update. I thought I broke the x1 switch as well. It had lots of play too. I even considered buying both a new gimbal as well as a new controller, despite the almost $450 impact to the wallet. I started troubleshooting connecting to the assistance software, all controls but x1 were registering. I then tried to connect rc assistance software where the x1 was registering. Perplexed, I disconnected the rc from the computer and plugged the p2 back in to see if the x1 switch was registering there, no joy! In the p2 assistance app I found an x1 calibration button in one of the tabs and clicked on it, moved the switch from one to extreme to other and voila, the pitch control via the x1 switch worked. I would post a screen shot where the tab is, but I am away from desk. Everything has been working fine since. Poke around and look for the x1 calibration button, maybe basic tab, not sure though.

Thanks Leo.

That is interesting, but a couple of differences there. It would be interesting to hear who is seeing this problem. I have the Phantom 1 (P1) (actually 1.1.1).
This is my remote it is branded DJI DJ6:
dji-phantom-v111-transmitter01.jpg

When I look at the versions there is another thing that baffles me a bit too. As far as I can see from DJI the last version 1.8 is the last for the H3-2D. That might be only for the Phantom 2 (P2). But at least if should suggest an upgrade to 1.6 - while it only upgraded me to 1.4.

This is a screendump from my versions:
dji-phantom-versions-2.PNG

However - having said that, I suspect that the version that might be breaking this might be earlier in the "link"??

is there any solution to this problem? I'm having the same issue. Bought Phantom 1 from B&H Photo Video. Upgrade board and gimbal. Followed the tutotials, til I got crazy trying to figure it out what to do with the GMU that comes with the Gimbal.
Updated the firmwares and now the Gimbal will only face forward or downward (totally by chance) Opened the transmitter and tried rotating the pin with a screwdriver, no success. Can anyone please, please help me?

Hi again.

Good news. After a lot of investigation I finally got it to work. Not well, but there is at least sign of life.

First of all. I am running the Phantom 1.1.1 and new remote (the new card) - see the NEW version picture in my post above.

On the webpage or upgrade for Phantom 1 (P1) there is not any mention of upgrading the Remote Controller. Nor is there a download for the DJI Phantom RC Assistant 1.0. It is, however, mentioned on the Phantom 2 (P2) download pages and can be downloaded from here: http://download.dji-innovations.com/dow ... taller.exe

I installed the app and connected a micro USB cable to the circuit board inside the RC (again see the picture of the new card higher up in this thread). The micro USB connection is on the top of the circuit board.
Moving the X1 potentiometer with a screwdriver did not register inside the app. Moving the other controls seemed all ok.

Under (i) the app gave me the option to upgrade my remote to version 1.0.1.11. (Had to do it twice with a couple of resets in between, but it finally made it).
dji-phantom-rc-after-upg.PNG

Now moving the potmeter there was sign of life, but only when moving the potmeter inside the remote with a screwdriver on the whole run of the potmeter (not the little section that the lever operates in).
In the installation instruction for the modification of the RC (installing the lever) it stated that the potmeter should be turned so that the mid should be pointing straight up. That means that the travel on the pot is mid plus what the lever will let it travel. Around 30-40 degrees (roughly estimated). Now, when turning it with the screwdriver in that area very, very little happened. Turning it towards left - the start of its travel (the origional position before moving it before installing the lever) it was responding. It was jumping around a little and seemed very uncontrolled but at least it did a calibaration. Definately better than nothing so I left it like that.
I closed up the RC and turned on the Phantom and begun moving the lever to control the H3-2D and it worked, but totally. Surely it did up and down on the camera but didnt really stop or slow down when I wanted it to do so.

I am not sure, but to me it appears as if the potmeter is the thing playing up. At least I am going to call my supplier tomorrow and get a new remote from them and hoping that that will solve the problem.
Still not entirely sure. Being so uncontrollable now leaves me a bit suspictious to the software too. Is there such a defect in the 1.4 gimbal sofware that will cause it to operate sluggishly and hence a bit uncontrollable?

Just purchased the Phantom 2 bundle with the Zenmuse Gimble. Certainly not plug and play out of the box as advertised. Same issues as everyone seems to be having with the X1 channel calibration. All firmware has been updated and gimble turned on ok but it will not register for calibration. When the P2 is powered up the gimble will engage and face the camera forward. No matter what I do, there seems to be no connection through the X1 channel to the gimbal. The lever also feels that there is very little connection to it, but the tiny pots don't require much to turn them. I then placed some weight behind the lever on the under side of the controller pushing it closer to the circuit board. Only then could I get some movement on the calibration screen. It seems that there is a connection problem from the outer lever to the potentiometer on the circuit board. Having just purchased the machine I'm hesitant to open the controller and void my warranty. Having said that I don't know what level of support is available from my eBay supplier or directly from DJI for that matter. Having already spent 2 days on it, perhaps its cheaper to bite the bullet and pull the controller apart and fix what could be a very simple problem.

To remove the back cover on the controller seems to be simply removing the 4 screws. Are there any issues in doing this that could damage other components on the board. Really frustrating issue but getting to learn a great deal about the Phantom.

For the many who are experiencing with tilt adjustment of the Zenmuse H3-2D Gimbal, I have found the cause of the problem and how to correct it. This workaround is for the Phantom 2 bundled with the H3-2D gimbal "The Spirit of Flight" model.
After spending hours ensuring I had all the correct up-to-date drivers and firmware and still not being able to make any connection to the gimbal I began looking for mechanical of physical issues.

During manufacture of the transmitter control unit, the interface or connection between the tilt adjuster X1 on the back of the transmitter and the small potentiometer (POT) on the circuit board is problematic. When the tilt lever is turned there is insufficient pressure to turn the POT. The cross head at the tip of the lever arm simply jumps out of the POT socket.

A simple fix is to remove the back panel of the transmitter controller, loosen all four retaining screws holding the circuit board, then slot a piece of cardboard (business card thickness) between the circuit board and the 2 plastic support posts near the location of the POT's. You could do all 4 screws but just the 2 near the POT's should fix the problem. This will raise the circuit board just enough for the tilt lever actuator to engage into the slots on the potentiometer. Tighten all four screws, replace the back cover then go through the standard calibration using the RC Assistant software and the Phantom 2 Assistant software. Go to the DJI page to download the latest drivers etc.

http://www.dji.com/download/phantom-2-downloads/

This may not always be the problem but for those that are at their whits end with software fixes, this may solve the problem. It did for me.

If this works for any others out there, pass the word around as I see many frustrated people ready to pull their hair out over this. Good luck.

Attachments

• repairs to X1.jpg
    repairs to X1.jpg
    431.3 KB · Views: 4,334
  • repairs to X1_2.jpg
    repairs to X1_2.jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 3,729
The Lower Pot is for the transmit power. To the right is for US

When I look at the versions there is another thing that baffles me a bit too. As far as I can see from DJI the last version 1.8 is the last for the H3-2D. That might be only for the Phantom 2 (P2). But at least if should suggest an upgrade to 1.6 - while it only upgraded me to 1.4.

I believe if you use the GCU that came with the Zenmuse, it will update to 1.8. But with the update board, it will downgrade to 1.4 if you had previously used it with the GCU and PMU.

Apparently new installs will only go to 1.4 when used with the update board.

Thanks for the info. I understood that, that was so for the Phantom 2V but was unsure about the Phantom 2.
I will turn it clockwise to increase the transmission range.

Hey All,

I'm having a similar problem after having my gimbal replaced for the slipping/leaning left issue. Now, with the new one, despite how many times I calibrate it (have just tried placing a business card under the board near the screws), I only get anything from the X1 axis when it's at its farthest 2 cm to the right. Even then, it goes straight up and down with no stopping in between. In addition, after a few times of this, the gimbal no longer raises all the way level..it stays angled down a bit.

Any thoughts? By the way I actually have the H3-D3 gimbal.

thank you!

fr0g said:
Hey All,

I'm having a similar problem after having my gimbal replaced for the slipping/leaning left issue. Now, with the new one, despite how many times I calibrate it (have just tried placing a business card under the board near the screws), I only get anything from the X1 axis when it's at its farthest 2 cm to the right. Even then, it goes straight up and down with no stopping in between. In addition, after a few times of this, the gimbal no longer raises all the way level..it stays angled down a bit.

Any thoughts? By the way I actually have the H3-D3 gimbal.

thank you!

I have sometimes experienced problems with calibrating the gimbal, especially after a firmware update. If the X1 tilt lever is making good contact with the potentiometer on the transmitter circuit board (you should feel some resistance when turning the lever through its full arc) then its likely to be the calibration. Don't forget to calibrate the Transmitter using the RC System Assistant Software 1.1 and then the Phantom using the DJI Phantom 2 Assistant 3.0. Problems will arise if just doing the Phantom and not the transmitter as well. You may already be doing it correctly in which case there could be problems with the gimbal. I had to return one H3 3D gimbal that had vibration issues so these things are not perfect. On my system I have now connected an external potentiometer for the X1 tilt but this requires removing the one from the circuit board and some intricate soldering to re-wire the new one. This gives more accurate and slower movement for tilting the GoPro so this is worth considering once you have corrected your initial problem. There are tutorials on You Tube for this. Not sure what else to suggest except contact DJI, they do have a help desk now on their website, but allow a couple of days for them to respond they get deluged with questions. Best of luck. http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-2/download

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj