New Phantom Loss of Thrust

Reaction score
Hey guys, I REALLY need some help! I have the oddest problem. Here's the facts:

I just bought a brand new DJI Phantom 1. Totally stock. No GoPro or anything else attached. I put it together, upgraded the firmware, reloaded the Phantom calibration defaults, calibrated the transmitter and IMU, calibrated the compass and charged the battery. Everything looks good.

When I fly, I can take off but it seems underpowered from what I expected. I flew up to maybe 30 feet in height, but within 1 minute, it's coming down and I keep increasing the throttle. By 2 minutes it takes full throttle just to hover and by 3 minutes, I can only hover inches from the ground. Something major is wrong but I have no idea what.

LED flashes green as if everything is normal. No low battery warning. I've even bought a new battery and the same thing happens with the new battery. I've run the NAZA software and the transmitter seems to be calibrated correctly, meaning on-screen all the sticks move to the limits normally. Props are installed correctly. I'm totally stumped.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks...

Do you have a Phantom 1 or Phantom 2?

I'm not sure if this is possible (as I have a Phantom 2), but is it possible that you have the props on upside down ?

RogerClark said:
Do you have a Phantom 1 or Phantom 2?

I'm not sure if this is possible (as I have a Phantom 2), but is it possible that you have the props on upside down ?

Hi, it's the original Phantom. Phantom 1. And no, the props were the right way up and with the arrows matching the direction marked on the arms.

Thanks...

You haven't happened to remove & reinstall the lid by any chance have you? Couple of things to check

a) that stripes (indentations) are facing front of aircraft
b) in assistant software the mixer type is correct - Basic -> aircraft -> box #2 should be highlighted
c) recal your sticks
d) make sure it's in PPM mode if it is actually a Phantom 1 w/1 antenna or Dbus mode if it has 2 antennas

You said it is brand new, but doesn't have the self tightening props?

Is that even possible?

ericdes said:
You said it is brand new, but doesn't have the self tightening props?

Is that even possible?

It is if you buy it off Amazon. I bought mine Feb 6 and they sent me a 3-versions-old 1.1.

I returned it and bought a 1.1.1 from B&H.

As for the thrust problem, check for binding of the motors. Do they spin freely without scraping the case? It only takes one motor lagging for the above to happen because if one motor is binding, weak, has a motor screw obstructing it, etc. it will have no choice but to slow down the other motors to keep equilibrium. The motors are only as good as the weakest one.

Mike

Hey guys, so, gbshovel, the props have the smooth side down. Directional Arrows and DJI markings up. I assume this is correct.

EMCSQUAR - I haven't removed the lid. Stripes are to the front, mixer does have box 2 selected. I have recalibrated the sticks in the assist software. I have 1 antenna and I have it set to PPM mode.

ericdes - I don't think I mentioned anything about self tightening props. But no, it does NOT have the self-tightening props. Just the silver nuts.

mikeydaddio - The motors do seem to spin freely. I can't feel any binding.

I take it this is not a common issue. Maybe I just have a defective Phantom. :-(

LeoS said:
Sounds like NAZA was in failsafe mode (land) due to low power?

I don't believe so. The light was still flashing green and it never did actually land. I could still fly around for another minute or two but only inches off the ground. I think the "ground effect" from the props was giving me a bit more lift close to the ground and I could fly back and forth a few inches off the ground at full throttle to maintain the hover.

Perhaps your charger is faulty. Have you checked your battery voltage before flying? Do you have the charger set for LiPo?

syotr - I thought it was the battery too, so I bought a brand new one....same issue. Tried a friends charger...same issue.

So with everyone's help I came to the conclusion that I don't think I have anything setup wrong.

I finally got through to DJI tech support.....talked to a service technician and they came to the conclusion that I have a faulty Phantom. Probably a bad altimeter.

Thanks for everyone's help. You proved to me that I didn't just have something setup stupidly.

Make sure your replacement is the 1.1.1 version. It will have the self tightening props and some other assorted upgrades.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik