- first phantom but have been flying a Hubsan x4 for about a month

What I did to prepare:
- software updated (both)
- battery charged to full
- propellers tightened
- compas calibrated

What happened:
- turned on rc, phantom
- got flashing green lights, kept it down for a few minutes to warm up and get home lock
- went up slowly to about 10 feet
- kept position well
- all controls checked out
- landed
- noted that the front left prop was spinning considerably faster than the rest (even told my brother who was with me)
- (did not pay attention to what the lights were doing)
- immediatelly started leanning back/right upon starting take-off
- slightly more throttlle exaggerated the "lean"
- was not responding to holding throttle down and kept "leaning" / almost falling
- I ended up holding it down with my foot while turning it off at the battery

Cut my hand a bit and ground down two props....

Any ideas?

Your details are a bit difficult to follow. Were you being gentle with the left stick trying to take off?
For take off, you need to make it jump by putting the left stick hard forward rather than being gentle.
Can you explain better the faster prop thing? It's hard to tell if this was an issue or not.

It won't have made any difference to your problem, but what do you mean by propellers tightened?
The props are self tightening and only need a small flick to spin them on.

I'm not sure about the upgrades.
As an ex IT guy, I always run a thing as is, out of the box first, to get a baseline. I don't jump onboard an upgrade immediately, unless it's essential. And then, when I do an upgrade, I make sure I have time on my hands to do it right and deal with any issues, if they crop up.

Not sure if any of these questions are relevant, but where were your S1 and S2 switches? Had you made any changes in the settings panel? Had you made any changes under the Vision Assistant? What do you mean by "upgraded remote?" Is it a brand New Phantom? Was your landing point a distance from your home point?

Dirk, I believe I tried CNC but that failed to shut it down as well. And I was aware of the hazard of sticking my hands in there... Just a quick decision to get control.

Meta, yes I was gentle on the stick because I realize it was leaning hard. The thought of not enough throttle did cross my mind and I did give it more but as I said it just exaggerated the lean. I am almost certain that the prop spinning faster was the cause. When I landed after the short first flight, the front left propeller was obviously spinning at more than idle speed. It slowed down some after about 30 seconds of sitting on the ground. When I applied throttle again, it was again spinning faster and was trying to lift with the front left more than the others, hence the rear/right lean.
When I said I tightened the props, I meant I used the wrench to hold down the shaft while lightly tightening.

Narrator, I upgraded the software because I thought that was the thing to do to avoid flyaways.... By "upgraded" remote, I mean the new one with the built in battery (my deal included this as an extra).

Thank you all for your input!

Just a thought, you may want to try having someone hold it up by its legs and then running the throttle right up. It may be a calibration thing, and once it goes full throttle it might reset itself.

Andrey320 said:
Hello all,
Background:
- phantom 2
- new upgraded remote
- no accessories attached
- first fliight
- first phantom but have been flying a Hubsan x4 for about a month

It appears you did nothing wrong, everything is by the book... The machine has an issue out of the box. Not what you paid for.

In my opinion, you got a few options, none you'll like to hear...
1. Send it back to where it was bought and request a new replacement unit. Quick solution hopefully
2. Send it to DJI and wait for them to repair or replace it. Slow solution.
3. Dig in and fix it yourself. Never done it myself, but many will recommend an IMU calibration based on your specific issue.. search forum for details.

In hindsight, I'd vote for #1...Just saying. Good luck!

When you land hold the throttle down more than 3 secs to turn off motors. Don't land a let it idle it will spin up and tip. It is trying to hover at 0ft.

Andrey, Welcome to the forum. You do not need tighten props with a wrench if they are the dji. They are self tightening. Just put on & use your finger to tap the leading edge of the prop to spin it on. You have to spin it hard enough to turn the motor. That way you know it is on all the way. To take off, hold the motor from underneath & tap the trailing edge of prop & it will spin off.

RichWest, you've put my thoughts into words. I'll be contacting the distributor on Monday.

PhantomPhreak, I've never read anywhere in the manual (nor online) about having to shut down before taking off again. I landed and held the stick down until the propellers were "idling".

LarryL, thank you for the welcome and advice on tightening the peopeller. I tightened them lightly but will discontinue the use of the supplied wrench.

Narrator, both S1 and S2 were all these way up. Also, I did not mess with any settings in the software - I left everything as it was (novice settings).

Andrey320 said:
PhantomPhreak, I've never read anywhere in the manual (nor online) about having to shut down before taking off again. I landed and held the stick down until the propellers were "idling".

Here is another post. Both of my P2's have a higher "idle" speed after landing. It can be enough to tip it. There is a ton of info not in the manual. J hooking wasn't in the manual, fortunately a firmware upgrade fixed it. Maybe someday this too.
http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=26669

Also if the IMU calibration is off it may be trying to level itself. Be sure when you do the calibration it is on a level surface.

PhantomPhreak said:
Andrey320 said:

Here is another post. Both of my P2's have a higher "idle" speed after landing. It can be enough to tip it. There is a ton of info not in the manual. J hooking wasn't in the manual, fortunately a firmware upgrade fixed it. Maybe someday this too.

Also if the IMU calibration is off it may be trying to level itself. Be sure when you do the calibration it is on a level surface.

That's interesting, thank you for the input. What worries me more is the fact that it did not shut down. Can I start it up with no propellers?

You might also try calibrating your controller. And yes you can start it up without the propellers on, but I would not advise running very long or racing the motors. If you just want to start it, and try turning it off using the CNC stick position, that should be fine.
I would try all calibrations before sending it back.

Andrey320 said:
PhantomPhreak said:
Andrey320 said:

That's interesting, thank you for the input. What worries me more is the fact that it did not shut down. Can I start it up with no propellers?
If you held the left stick straight down for more than 3 secs after landing, it should have shut down. If its not shutting down something is wrong. You can test start up, idle and shutdown with props off. You will not see the difference in idle speed until you fly and land.

Narrator said:
Just a thought, you may want to try having someone hold it up by its legs and then running the throttle right up. It may be a calibration thing, and once it goes full throttle it might reset itself.

Good idea. I, too, would be hesitant to make a fast lift off, if I saw the leaning and one rotor running faster. Had you done so, it might have flipped over or flew out of control.

Its alive!

Did a shutown test with no props - worked.
Did an advanced IMU calibration and calibrated the remote in both the software programs.
New props, re-did compass calibration and had about 30 minutes of careful flying.

Impression so far, awesome! Its so much easier to fly than the x4! I can't wait to put the H3-3D and my GoPro on it!

And when I landed, I shut down the motors. I think this was spot on PhantomPhreak - thank you for the input. Perhaps this would be useful info to add to the FAQ or sticky it.... I will let DJI know about the incident.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers