New Phantom 3 Standard owner, got a few questions.

Reaction score
I picked up a Phantom 3 Standard at Target for 399$ with 15% off. So around 350$. This is my first quad and have been reading and learning everything about it before I take it for its first flight.

1. My Gimbal Makes a slight humming noise, I can tell one of the noises is the fan but the other seems to be the motor. Is this normal? Nothings rattling and the motor sound is very faint and quieter than the fan.

2. I fully charged the Battery and after the 5 min long firmware update and restarting everything, the app showed I only had 94%. I was messing around with the App for a bit and moving the camera and it dropped to 91%. Is this Battery drop common when just turned on and connected to the controller?

3. Its winter where I live but I still want to take it out and test it, (in gps mode) what temps can I fly it at? The batteries wouldn't be getting old as I would just be walking out of my house and having it take off and warm up for 60 seconds.

4. How to I properly drain the batteries? Can I leave the quad on in idle and drain them that way. Or do I remove the battery from the quad and leave it on to drain. and after it gets under 65% how long can I store it for? And can they be left in the quad?

Thanks

My Gimbal Makes a slight humming noise
This is normal. The gimbal will never be silent.

I fully charged the Battery and after the 5 min long firmware update and restarting everything, the app showed I only had 94%.
If the battery is mostly charged prior to charging, it won't start charging if you connect it to the battery charger. You'll need to turn it on before placing it on the battery charger. Most people refer to this as "topping off the battery".

Its winter where I live but I still want to take it out and test it, (in gps mode) what temps can I fly it at? The batteries wouldn't be getting old as I would just be walking out of my house and having it take off and warm up for 60 seconds.
The Phantom manual recommends not flying in temperatures below freezing. It's possible to do though. You can find some cold weather flying tips here, here, and here. Or, check out these search results.

How to I properly drain the batteries?
By default, the batteries will start auto discharging down to 65% after 10 days. You can decrease the number of days in the DJI GO app (see below). It can take 2-3 days to complete the auto discharge process for a fully charged battery. Pressing the button on the battery will reset this 10-day waiting period and/or stop the auto discharge process.

DJI-GO-Battery-Time-To-Discharge.jpg

how long can I store it for?
Store your batteries like this.

The Battery was low when I opened the box and I charged all the way until all lights shut off. I updated the firmware and the app showed 94%.

Also does the battery discharge when pulled out of the drone? Or do I have to leave it in for it to start a discharge after 10 days?

Thanks for the answers, I'm new to this and Li-Po batteries and want to do things correctly.

The Battery was low when I opened the box and I charged all the way until all lights shut off. I updated the firmware and the app showed 94%.
That makes sense then. I missed the part where you said you were using the battery for ~5 minutes.

Also does the battery discharge when pulled out of the drone?
Yes.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl