New Phantom 3 Camera DOA out of the box, repair time?

Reaction score
My phantom 3 showed up on Saturday, I was super excited but the weather wasn't perfect so I had to wait until Monday to use it, firmware updates took longer than expected so I didn't get any flying in yesterday. Today at lunch I was all preped for a nice flight, until I find out the camera doesn't respond. I get the "no signal" screen. Called DJI, walked through the common issues with no luck so back to DJI it goes. Anyone else had this happen? What kind of response time as I look at for repair?

Thanks all,

Hopefully flying in the next 2 weeks.

I also have a new p3p concerned about firmware upgrade..will wait...what version firmware did you install that gave you these problems?

Opened the box, turned it on. Black screen not connected, updated the firmware, still same black screen. I think it was delivered defective vs a firmware issue.

Opened the box, turned it on. Black screen not connected, updated the firmware, still same black screen. I think it was delivered defective vs a firmware issue.

Defective out of the box, I'd return it for a new one. IMO, warranty is for after it's working, not a brand new unit (but maybe that's me). Still I'd return it for a new unit, expectation is still that it should work when newly opened.

I imagine its one of the ribbon cables running to the camera. I will see what they say once they receive it. I am just disappointed - I waited for it to be delivered and now I have to send it back out the door. I WANT TO FLY IT!!!! :D - I'm just a little excited.

It could be a simple issue but out of the box unit should definitely work.

I imagine its one of the ribbon cables running to the camera. I will see what they say once they receive it. I am just disappointed - I waited for it to be delivered and now I have to send it back out the door. I WANT TO FLY IT!!!! :D - I'm just a little excited.
If it was a ribbon cable the firmware update would not have succeeded, interested to know if it really did succeed or not. I had the same issue, firmware took forever so after the gimbal light changed to indicate the firmware failed I started looking around and saw one of the cables was disconnected. I powered it on again and connected in the Go app and the screen was black but I could move the gimbal and telemetry data was there. I powered off and pushed the connector in with a butterknife and voila it all worked. My best guess is the gimbal damper balls stretched too much due to rough handling which caused the cable to be pulled out.

If it was a ribbon cable the firmware update would not have succeeded, interested to know if it really did succeed or not. I had the same issue, firmware took forever so after the gimbal light changed to indicate the firmware failed I started looking around and saw one of the cables was disconnected. I powered it on again and connected in the Go app and the screen was black but I could move the gimbal and telemetry data was there. I powered off and pushed the connector in with a butterknife and voila it all worked. My best guess is the gimbal damper balls stretched too much due to rough handling which caused the cable to be pulled out.
Which cable? Can you send me a pick of which one to push on? I would be super excited for it to work for the weekend vs sending it in! The go app is showing that most current software is on the device, but I am not sure if that is 100% the case, I was under the impression it failed every time I tried last night.

Which cable? Can you send me a pick of which one to push on? I would be super excited for it to work for the weekend vs sending it in! The go app is showing that most current software is on the device, but I am not sure if that is 100% the case, I was under the impression it failed every time I tried last night.

Attachments

• IMG_5925.JPG
    IMG_5925.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 421
When powered on my phone via the RC is telling me that software on the phantom is 1.7.60. Although, it told me yesterday that it never completed the firmware update. I just tried re-doing the firmware update and I got this in the text file after about a min:
Result: Failed.
Reboot the aircraft and try to upgrade the firmware again.

========== 2014.01.01 00:00:12 remo-con disconnect======
Packet: P3X_FW_V01.07.0060.bin

Packet: P3X_FW_V01.07.0060.bin

Packet: P3X_FW_V01.07

Did you make sure the two grey multi wire cables are plugged into the top of the square 4 hole gimbal flange underneath the drone belly?
All other plugs around the gimbal and camera are plugged in snug?

Yep, just did that before I attempted the firmware update. Pushed down on them all to ensure proper seating and then tried to video - sadly nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Does the camera wobble and do its dance/play the tune and align itself forward and level?

Yes, on power up. I can even move it with the RC

Did you update the RC and did it first? I just put a new gimbal /camera on mine and did the download to ipad(while hooked to RC)updated RC then then bird. Verified sd card "success 1.7 bird 1.57 or 8 RC"

I had a second or two with a blank screen until it did right.
Seems there is an OSD card in the USB area of the RC so maybe it isn't all talking due to an update not done or done in correct sequence.

Maybe the downlink won't allow seeing of each other,( Bird/RC) due to not being linked initially at the factory or need a relinking or a properly done upgrade?

Hard to help without being there and seeing what Firmwareis on each (RC and Bird) etc.

According to the app, when I checked firmwares the bird is showing: 1.7.6, the rc is showing: 1.5.8. The video problem was happening before that though, initial turn on there was no video.

According to the app, when I checked firmwares the bird is showing: 1.7.6, the rc is showing: 1.5.8. The video problem was happening before that though, initial turn on there was no video.
That appears correct. DJI go app 2.71?
Seems the uplink is good as the controller moves everything on gimbal just seems the video down link is off for whatever reason.

Yes on the app as well, sadly it appears my bird is off to DJI was really hoping to avoid that. I'm really excited to get into this. Oh well, hope my their repair times is decent. Anyone sent something in recently?

Too bad. I was hoping we could find something less drastic than a return.

Me too! Wanted to show it off to the family this weekend!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers