New Phantom 2 with Zenmuse H3-2d Arriving Tomorrow

Reaction score
I know most of your experts in the field of flying phantoms but I am a newbie and definitely need your help. My new Phantom 2 with Zenmuse H3-2d is arriving tomorrow and having read a lot of the posts on this website I am thoroughly confused as to exactly what I need to do in order to make certain I have the correct firmware and do all of the set up properly.

Do any of you have a complete list for a newbie like me on what specifically needs to be completed prior to first flight?

I would certainly appreciate it. I found this list but I want to make certain that it is complete.
Also I will have my GoPro 3 on Wednesday and will install it.
Important
1. For the users of PHANTOM 2 with H3-2D, must adhere to following steps to upgrade the Remote Controller firmware.
1) Use the PHANTOM RC Assistant software to upgrade the Remote Controller firmware to V1.0.1.11.
2) Calibrate the sticks and X1 channel of the Remote Controller using PHANTOM RC Assistant software.
3) Use the PHANTOM 2 Assistant software to upgrade the Gimbal IMU firmware to V1.8 on the Upgrade page.
4) After upgrade completed, calibrate the X1 channel of Main controller using PHANTOM 2 Assistant software,
then the PHANTOM 2 will work well with H3-2D.

Thanks for all of your help.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could assist me. This seems to be the place to go with questions and information. I see 46 people have viewed my post but no one is assisting.

Thanks!

Geoff

Do all you have listed plus, most importantly, download and thoroughly read all the manuals and fully understand all the flight modes and how to operate your Phantom...then just go fly and have fun!

by bernardb » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:50 am

Do all you have listed plus, most importantly, download and thoroughly read all the manuals and fully understand all the flight modes and how to operate your Phantom...then just go fly and have fun!

THANK YOU!

Oh, another thing to become familiar with is the dreaded VRS (vortex ring state) that can happen if you descend too quickly while coming straight down...it can cause a crash. Search for it on this forum, there is a lot of discussion about it already :D

Phantom2inVA said:
I would greatly appreciate it if someone could assist me. This seems to be the place to go with questions and information. I see 46 people have viewed my post but no one is assisting.

Thanks!

Geoff
I did not install my gimbal and camera for the first few weeks I had the phantom. Decided to learn to fly first and minimize my losses in the event of a crash or fly-away. You might also consider a simulator to learn to fly with. I use Heli-X and find it useful. Other than that, take it slow, check the FAQs here, and ask questions when you get stuck.

Here's my advice (based on owning a P2 for 3 weeks and making a few mistakes)

Make sure you have the correct software to upgrade firmware (currently v3)
DON'T install gimbal and gopro until you are comfortable flying. (this should only take about 10 flights)
Make sure you understand flashing lights and do advanced calibration.
Fly in the biggest emptiest space you can find.
Do compass dance properly - make sure 2nd rotation is with unit facing down (ie battery at top)
First flight - ensure ONLY green lights are flashing.
Push HARD 100% up on the left stick to elevate - doing a slow timid accelerate can cause thing to tip forward and props to hit grass.

Boost it confidently up to 15 feet and let go of stick to hover - then immediately but slowly lower to HEAD HEIGHT and let hover and watch for any drifting (or toilet bowl effect). DON'T TRY MOVEMENT ON FIRST FLIGHT (right stick). If it starts drifting, have a friend standing by to grab the landing gear and pull down and hold the left stick until it powers off. DON'T panic and try and land the thing if it starts drifting - it will land while moving and topple, damaging the props.

I never land the thing on the ground anymore. I always hover at head height and grab the landing gear with right hand, powering down with my left hand. So much quicker and easier.

2nd flight - repeat but go a little higher (50m). Land.

3rd flight - go up 20m. Play with the right stick - forward a little, left, right, back, land.

DON'T yaw (left stick, left/right) until at least your 5-6th flight - it can be confusing. Take it slow.

You'll have issues with some things and not with others. Once you have an issue, come back to forums and search, research, test, ask questions.

It's fun, it's frustrating - just take it slow. :mrgreen:

BigBadFun said:
Fly in the biggest emptiest space you can find.

Push HARD 100% up on the left stick to elevate - doing a slow timid accelerate can cause thing to tip forward and props to hit grass.

I never land the thing on the ground anymore. I always hover at head height and grab the landing gear with right hand, powering down with my left hand. So much quicker and easier.

:

Some friendly disagreement with your advice.

Fly in the biggest, emptiest space - 100% agree. My living room did not work out for the first flights very well. I'll leave the gory details to the imagination

Push Hard 100% on the left stick to elevate - Kind of agree. I've seen videos about gradually increasing throttle until the Phantom gets light, don't think thats a good idea. Slamming the stick up? Maybe not so much.

Hand Catches - Disagree. When you're new to these things you must respect them. Those props will cut you up. If you're not used to flying and as you walk towards the Phantom you could accidentally hit one of the sticks and drop it on your hand. Or even worse, accidentally hit forward direction and send it sailing into your face.

I do hand catches all the time now because I launch from my back yard a lot and the grass is high and uneven. But if you're a newbie, I'd suggest its better to have to buy a new set of props than head to the ER for stitches.

jondrew said:
BigBadFun said:
I do hand catches all the time now because I launch from my back yard a lot and the grass is high and uneven. But if you're a newbie, I'd suggest its better to have to buy a new set of props than head to the ER for stitches.

Yeah - agree. It all comes down to confidence and co-ordination I guess. I would have been nervous as hell trying to catch on my first flight, but after 5-6 flights it's a piece of cake. OK, land on ground but just make sure to choose a really flat surface without long grass, and bring it down really slow and steady to avoid drift and/or bouncing.

Much prefer catching though - all my crashes and prop damage have been by landing on ground badly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues