New Phantom 2 - Motor Treads Opposite of Instruction Manual

Reaction score
Hello,
I just purchase a new Phantom 2 with Zenmuse gimble. I open the box and began to assemble the quad copter. I quickly ran into a snag, and the motor's tread direction didn't match the instruction. Instructions read "gray - clockwise" and black "anti-clockwise." Additionally, the icons on the copter reinforce the instructions. When attempting to screw the propeller one, the do not tighten, and must be screwed the opposite way.

Has anybody had experience with this? Did I just get a bum unit. My concern is testing the quad-copter, and having the propellors fly off.

Any advice or thoughts?

Re: New Phantom 2 - Motor Treads Opposite of Instruction Ma

There are two indentations on two arms. The indentations are where you are to place the red stripe decals to indicate the front of the craft. The indentations are on the top and the bottom halves of the body. Make sure the indentations all match. Look at any pictures of the Phantom to see those stripes. That is where the indentations are located.

Perhaps at the factory they were busy celebrating the New Year and assembled the top and bottom halves incorrectly.

If true, either contact your vendor for a replacement or attempt the repair yourself. Many examples available on YouTube showing how to remove upper shell and replacing correctly.

For what you paid, speak with vendor first before proceeding. He/She can help you look for the indentations.

Maybe I should have asked this, did you split the Phantom open and rotate the top half and install it wrong?

I think you may be confusing motor rotation direction with thread direction. Motors that rotate CW will have CCW threads. As long as you were able to screw the props on fully, they should be fine. Looking forward from the center of the Phantom, the silver nut prop should be on the right arm, the black nut prop on the left.

OI Photography said:
I think you may be confusing motor rotation direction with thread direction. Motors that rotate CW will have CCW threads. As long as you were able to screw the props on fully, they should be fine. Looking forward from the center of the Phantom, the silver nut prop should be on the right arm, the black nut prop on the left.

Thanks for the reply. When looking at the front of the copter when it sits on the ground, the first two propellors are black on my right, and gray on my left.

Another way to look at it, the copters front right is gray and front left is black. Is this correct?

Follow up question, the icons on the copter arms are showing me rotation direction, not tread direction (or direction I turn the props to put them on? Correct?

8bitmindset said:
OI Photography said:

Thanks for the reply. When looking at the front of the copter when it sits on the ground, the first two propellors are black on my right, and gray on my left.

Another way to look at it, the copters front right is gray and front left is black. Is this correct?

Follow up question, the icons on the copter arms are showing me rotation direction, not tread direction (or direction I turn the props to put them on? Correct?

Best learn to get nautical...

Starboard aft: black (clockwise)
Port aft: gray (counter-clockwise)
Starboard fore: gray (counter-clockwise)
Port fore: black (clockwise)

The grays are reversed threads. The black threads are normal. Righty tighty, lefty loosey!

8bitmindset said:

Correct, and if that's what you see it sounds like you have them right.

The circular moldings on the arm next to the motor show motor rotation direction, the moldings on the props themselves tell you what direction to screw them on (lock) or off (unlock)

ianwood said:
Best learn to get nautical...

Starboard aft: black (clockwise)
Port aft: gray (counter-clockwise)
Starboard fore: gray (counter-clockwise)
Port fore: black (clockwise)

The grays are reversed threads. The black threads are normal. Righty tighty, lefty loosey!

Yep, that would work. I just wish they did more to promote the simple 1-2-3-4 identification scheme for motor locations on the Phantom.

OI Photography said:
Correct, and if that's what you see it sounds like you have them right.

The circular moldings on the arm next to the motor show motor rotation direction, the moldings on the props themselves tell you what direction to screw them on (lock) or off (unlock)

Thanks so much Ol Photography. It seems that all is correct then. One more question for you. I was doing some small test in my living room, and notice the quad copter doesn't hover perfectly still (there is a small drift), nor does it alway take off perfectly upright. Is that normal?

Perhaps I just need more space. I plan to test tomorrow at the park.

8bitmindset said:
Thanks so much Ol Photography. It seems that all is correct then. One more question for you. I was doing some small test in my living room, and notice the quad copter doesn't hover perfectly still (there is a small drift), nor does it alway take off perfectly upright. Is that normal?

Perhaps I just need more space. I plan to test tomorrow at the park.

No problem!

It won't fly with optimum stability unless you have enough GPS satellites locked while flying, which you may not have had when flying indoors. Did you check the LED light to know how many it was seeing? And have you calibrated the compass yet?

I did calibrate the compass, and it flashed green, indicating success.

However, I didn't check the led for GPS coordination. How does the LED light inform on GPS? And are these the same LEDs under the arms of the copter?

Sorry for the mass of questions, I really wish there was a more in depth instruction manual in the box besides the quick start guide.

8bitmindset said:
I did calibrate the compass, and it flashed green, indicating success.

However, I didn't check the led for GPS coordination. How does the LED light inform on GPS? And are these the same LEDs under the arms of the copter?

Sorry for the mass of questions, I really wish there was a more in depth instruction manual in the box besides the quick start guide.

The full user's manual is here, and will explain the LED sequences: http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-2/download

It's also possible that the drift you're seeing is minor enough to be within the expected tolerances (a small amount is normal), but the less satellites it sees the less precisely it can hold position.

8bitmindset said:
I was doing some small test in my living room, and notice the quad copter doesn't hover perfectly still (there is a small drift), nor does it alway take off perfectly upright. Is that normal? Perhaps I just need more space. I plan to test tomorrow at the park.

The GPS hold isn't millimetre perfect, for civilian applications GPS is only accurate to about ~2m so the P2 will gently drift from time to time. The other thing to take into consideration is that if you were doing this indoors the wash from the blades will cause air currents in the room that would almost certainly cause a little drift and I am presuming you only hovered at less than a metre? Again, wash coming up form the floor will cause this.

8bitmindset said:

When the GPS has locked the green LEDs under the back arms flash very rapidly for a couple of seconds. Once in flight you'll get a nice slow green on/off flash from the LEDs under the rear arms.

8bitmindset said:

It's good to help and share information. We all had to start somewhere. As OI Photography said though, read the manual.... My advice is then read it again! If you are still in the dark with all of this then trawl through the posts on here.... you'll find most things are convered.

Thanks.

OI Photography pointed me to the download of the manual. Currently reading it. It didn't come inside the box for the phantom 2 correct? Or am I blind?

There should have been some documentation in a little black paper wallet? Quick start guide etc? Not sure if the full manual was in there though.... I'd already downloaded and read the online version several times before the P2 arrived!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31