new Phantom 2 initial config quedtions

Reaction score
Good morning or it may be good afternoon depending on where you are

Im a complete newbie so please do excuse me if this has been asked in other posts, I wasn't able to find them.

I unpacked my phantom 2 (non-vision) yesterday and love how it looks but I have a few questions

1. Does the phantom come with the latest version of firmware? Would I need to update?
2. I didn't realise the phantom could fly in 2 modes? Phantom mode and naza-m mode?Is the phantom shipped in phantom mode as standard?
3. Do I need to configure the S1 and S2 switches prior to flying? I really want the RTH function working
4. Is the IOC function enabled or does it need to be enabled? Assigned to the S2 switch?
5. Is the phantom 2 vision the same as the phantom 2 (non-vision)

Apologies for all the newbie questions but I really don't want to lose or mess up this phantom

Thanks in advance

ali_shaikh22 said:
Good morning or it may be good afternoon depending on where you are

Im a complete newbie so please do excuse me if this has been asked in other posts, I wasn't able to find them.

I unpacked my phantom 2 (non-vision) yesterday and love how it looks but I have a few questions

1. Does the phantom come with the latest version of firmware? Would I need to update?
The latest firmware was released a few days ago so unlikely yours would have 3.04 already.

2. I didn't realise the phantom could fly in 2 modes? Phantom mode and naza-m mode?Is the phantom shipped in phantom mode as standard?
Correct shipped in Phantom mode.

3. Do I need to configure the S1 and S2 switches prior to flying? I really want the RTH function working
To configure the switches you need to switch into Naza mode.
You can still activate RTH in Phantom mode by turning off the controller. I prefer to have RTH assigned to S1 when in Naza mode.

4. Is the IOC function enabled or does it need to be enabled? Assigned to the S2 switch?
Once in Naza mode you can configure both S1 (right switch) and S2 (Left switch). S2 for IOC( IOC off/CL/HL) and S1 for GPS/Atti/FS or GPS/Atti/Manual.

If you switch to Naza mode then with both S1 and S2 in the up position it acts like regular Phantom mode.

5. Is the phantom 2 vision the same as the phantom 2 (non-vision).
They share a lot of the same hardware, but they are not the same. One comes with a camera and the P2 uses 2.4GHz for control rather than 5.8GHz.

The P2V+ is an all-in-one solution. Whereas the P2 you can install the iOSD, vTX etc of your choosing.

Apologies for all the newbie questions but I really don't want to lose or mess up this phantom

Thanks in advance

Hello

Thank you so much for the response. Really appreciate it.

If I leave the quad as it is, as in out of box

If I leave the right switch in GPS, will this ensure the quad is able to hover in one position with no further inputs from the receiver?

For my first flight these are going to be my steps:

1. Turn on receiver
2. Turn on quad - quad beeps
3. Toggle switch 1, 6 times, this will bind the transmitter to the quad? Or just enables GPS calibration?
4. Turn the quad 360° CC holding it flat, turn the quad 90° so green light faces up and turn CC 360°
5. Leave quad on floor for about 2 minutes to settle and give green solid lights
6. At this point my right switch in GPS position
7.Also with out any configuration im going to leave the left switch to HL position
8. Give the quad some lift, the quad rises and hovers using GPS and barometer?

If you could please let me know if this sounds correct?

Thank you

Not to be rude but you need to read the manual a few times before your first flight as well as watch a few videos on Youtube. They are a great way to help you understand and will help protect your investment from a school boy error.

If I leave the right switch in GPS, will this ensure the quad is able to hover in one position with no further inputs from the receiver?
Yes, but there maybe some drift as it trys to hold position.

For my first flight these are going to be my steps:

1. Turn on receiver
2. Turn on quad - quad beeps
3. Toggle switch 1, 6 times, this will bind the transmitter to the quad? No Or just enables GPS calibration? Yes
4. Turn the quad 360° CC holding it flat, turn the quad 90° so green light faces up and turn CC 360°
Make sure you do this outside in a wide-open space far away from any metal.
5. Leave quad on floor for about 2 minutes to settle and give green solid lights
6. At this point my right switch in GPS position
7.Also with out any configuration im going to leave the left switch to HL position
All switches should be up.
8. Give the quad some lift, the quad rises and hovers using GPS and barometer?
When you take off give it full throttle until you are about 6 to 10 feet off the ground and then take you hand off the stick and let it hover. Don't try and take off gently as it will tip over.

If you could please let me know if this sounds correct?

What xgeek said +1

Toggling S1 6 times puts the quad in compass calibration mode and that MUST be done before you fly and calibrate the compass as you described.
The quad should be bound to the transmitter as received from the factory.

I really suggest you read the manual over a couple of times to be familiar with its operation and ESPECIALLY the status lights before first flight.

If possible a field or an area of tall grass is the best for the fist time. It will help if you have an eventful landing.

Do not let it get too far away and for the first few flights fly it with the back facing you so there will be no orientation problems.

Tom

Hello

Managed a flight on Saturday afternoon and was very impressed.

Did all the checks as prescribed earlier and read the manual about half a dozen times.

Ive also watched the video's I did want to initiate the RTH feature to see it in action but a bit too nervous to just turn off the controller.

I Shall be configuring the IOC and RTH on the switches via the software.

Can i still assign IOC and RTH in the Phantom 2 mode or is that in the Naza mode only?

Can i still assign IOC and RTH in the Phantom 2 mode or is that in the Naza mode only?

IOC can only be enabled in Naza mode. RTH can be assigned to S1 bottom position in both Phantom and Naza mode. By default it's set to Normal Fly.

Remember that if you switch to Naza mode and if both switches are in the up position. It will fly just like it did for you on Saturday in Phantom mode. I.E In Naza mode + both switches up = Phantom mode

Hello

Ive had 2 flights now, really enjoyed both of them.

However

One was in Yorkshire and one in London.

I turned on the controller, turned on the quad then when i flick switch 1 6 times it didnt always go into the yello caloibration mode?

Hello

Yesterday I turned on the quad and it kept on flashing yellow initially, i flicked the switch 6 times but I don't think this did anything.

Eventually (about 3 mins) I went to pick it up and it started giving me green flashes with some yellow.

I think this meant it had found a few satellites?

When it was flashing green fully, I flicked the S1 probably more times than 6 and it eventually started flashing yellow. Now I was certain it was in calibration mode.

I picked it up and turned with it CC and the flashes went green. Good to go with GPS and home location set.

so if I was to turn off the transmitter (easier said than done) it should return to where I did my CC turns.

Did you follower my suggestion in my second post of this thread?

xgeek said:
Not to be rude but you need to read the manual a few times before your first flight as well as watch a few videos on Youtube. They are a great way to help you understand and will help protect your investment from a school boy error.

ali_shaikh22 said:
Hello

Yesterday I turned on the quad and it kept on flashing yellow initially, i flicked the switch 6 times but I don't think this did anything.

Eventually (about 3 mins) I went to pick it up and it started giving me green flashes with some yellow.

I think this meant it had found a few satellites?

When it was flashing green fully, I flicked the S1 probably more times than 6 and it eventually started flashing yellow. Now I was certain it was in calibration mode.

I picked it up and turned with it CC and the flashes went green. Good to go with GPS and home location set.

so if I was to turn off the transmitter (easier said than done) it should return to where I did my CC turns.

you think? you don't know? You've had advice to read the manual, yet you still think?

Bmews

Ive read the manual dozens of times now, but the quad wasnt doing exactly what I was expecting from the manuals so I came here.

Its fine, the quad flies fine, I've had a few flights and I calibrate each time ensuring I have enough power and green lights.

Thanks

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20