New PHANTOM 2 arriving today

Reaction score
Hello all. Brand new to RC anything but saw the Phantom 2 and got addicted and I have not even touched it yet!! Mailman is bringing it today. Ok so I bought the PHANTOM 2 (non vision) with the H3-2D gimble to use with my GOPRO +3 silver. I know that I want to incorporate FPV along with a ground station so I can play around with the waypoint features. In looking at all the options out there I must confess that I am at a loss to know what brand/system I should purchase and who is the best dealer to purchase from. I live on the coast of Maine with very little interference and would like to maximize the range of the unit. Would anyone be willing to give this newbe some advice?? (by the way......I can now see that this hobby is going to be more addictive than crack!!!!) I am also in the market for a PHANTOM 2 Mentor!!! I know I am going to be putting a fair amount of $$$ into this system and would like to minimize the costly mistakes I am bound to make. Many thanks!!

Sorry, can't be a good mentor, but one piece of advice. Okay maybe two, alright three. Read everything possible. Go to the DJI web site, go to the Phantom 2 section and download every PDF and sit down and read them. Two, watch all the introductory videos. See already I'm a bad mentor, I don't have the web link available right this minute. There are a series of DJI videos for beginners, watch them. Watch them again and again. Till you get it in your head.

Oh my this list is going to go on and on....

Do not mount anything on your Phantom before you go out and fly for the first, second or third time. You may crash and why risk valuable attachments until you are comfortable. Don't get cocky when you first fly. It's easy to learn, difficult to master. You'll think you got it mastered and then next thing you now you're in a tree. There is a basic training PDF on the DJI web site. Master those flying maneuvers, then mount all the accessories on the Phantom.

Become familiar with the software and perform ALL of the updates and calibrations. Learn the compass dance and use it before each flying session.

Hang out here and read other people experiences and recommendations. Find a good mentor....

Good luck.

(Stayed in Camden Maine for a week last summer. Hottest week on record. Hated the heat (no one has air conditioning!), loved the area. Had bought a Phantom just for the trip. Too scared of the trees to fly much !!)

Do yourself a favor and get a micro quad like a Hubsan X4 H107L and learn how to fly with less expensive crash repairs...

Honestly, I had not flown anything R/C for decades but the phantom is the easiest thing to learn on.

Just make sure you get the firmwares update done, the compass calibration dance done, and wait for the green lights.

Take it easy, but the great thing about it is that you dont need to ever panic. Just let go of the controls and it will stay where it is, waiting for you.

I fitted everything on mine when I got it.

Reading some posts on the forum make it sound like it is on a par with landing a F18 on an aircraft carrier!

I'm gonna be in your shoes pretty soon . let us know how every thing went ! I cant wait for mine either !

Thank you all for the advice. What I REALLY am looking for is advice on what to buy and where to buy it for FPV, and ground station. Living on the coast as I do and making my living on the water, I am in hopes that I will master the Phantom 2 such that I can safely fly over the water from my boat getting nice video of light houses and the beauty of the Maine Coast. Anyone care to chime in?? (and where is that **** mailman?????)

A few good places for FPV stuff in the US is :
http://www.getfpv.com/
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/
http://www.rangevideo.com/

Just getting started like you but have already purchased a lot of equipment.
Immersionrc 5.8ghz 600mw video transmitter for FPV video
IBcrazy blue beam ultra antennas for video transmitter and receiver.
Skyzone goggles with diversity receivers built in

Several thoughts so far:
Skyzone seems like nice goggles but possible conflict with Fatshark/ImmersionRC equipment. I wanted a quick out of the car capability to spin up my quad and capture video so I wanted the receiver to be built into the goggles.

IBcrazy antennas seem like a no brainer.

Where I am really disappointed is that I wanted to eventually do long range FPV but the Phantom 2 is locked out of good 3rd party receivers so we can't do UHF for the really good links over long distance.
Additionally, even if we could get UHF going, the power output necessary for long range video could be a major problem in the close proximity confines of the Phantom. Simply put, a 1.3ghz vtx blasting away right next to a UHF receiver is a very bad idea I am told but folks with experience.
I gave up and decided to buy 2 platforms. Use the Phantom 2 for near line of site fpv and video with GoPro and then some sort of long range plane with dedicated equipment for FPV as I want to eventually hit the 10km mark. :)

I bought a Taranis radio so that I could swap the Phantom receiver for an FRSKY receiver and use the 1 radio for both models.

All the info is on the forum.

I fitted iosd mini, immersion 600mw tx, black shark antennas and pearl screen with built in receiver and battery, as well as the mount sold by Ravecreative, a member on this forum (this 3d printing business is amazing). Worked straight out of the box, which I like.

monoi said:
All the info is on the forum.

I fitted iosd mini, immersion 600mw tx, black shark antennas and pearl screen with built in receiver and battery, as well as the mount sold by Ravecreative, a member on this forum (this 3d printing business is amazing). Worked straight out of the box, which I like.

I am sure it all is in the forum. Sadly I am new and ....WOW...there is alot of info here....hard to find what you are looking for. I am sorry if I am duplication previously answered issues......my other issue as a newbi is that you are talking a language I still do not understand....wish I could find a "glossary of terms" for the hardwear of this hobby!!

Mooringmaster said:
Thank you all for the advice. What I REALLY am looking for is advice on what to buy and where to buy it for FPV, and ground station. Living on the coast as I do and making my living on the water, I am in hopes that I will master the Phantom 2 such that I can safely fly over the water from my boat getting nice video of light houses and the beauty of the Maine Coast. Anyone care to chime in?? (and where is that **** mailman?????)

Phantoms LOVE the water! They go right for it!

Have a look at this article: http://makezine.com/magazine/drowned-dr ... the-water/

My advice would be to wait quite some time before flying over water. Get really good at flying it first. And when you think you're ready, get even better. Then do it. Carefully.

ianwood said:
Mooringmaster said:

Phantoms LOVE the water! They go right for it!

Have a look at this article: http://makezine.com/magazine/drowned-dr ... the-water/

My advice would be to wait quite some time before flying over water. Get really good at flying it first. And when you think you're ready, get even better. Then do it. Carefully.

Very interesting reading!! Trust me that I will not venture over the deep blue until I have many many hours under my belt. I will let you all know how it turns out!!

My Phantom 2 arrived this morning and I have already made one flight without crashing it!! So glad I ordered 2 more Batteries!! This is going to be addictive!! Videos soon!!!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20