New Phantom 1 owner ...Should I get Carbon Props?

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a complete newbie to all of this.

I have just got myself a DJI Phantom 1.1.1 a couple of days ago and I am loving it!

So my first question is... What is the best upgrade I can do please?

Are Carbon Fibre props a good upgrade or not?

Thanks

Reactions: dirkclod
OEM props are proven and are fine, the slight bend in the plastic will help absorb loads and reduce stress on your craft. I have over 2,000,000 feet and they look like new. The results using carbon props are mixed, why take a chance when the originals are good, IMO. For my first upgade I installed maxxuav clean install DBS2 antenna to improve range and it did just that.

Reactions: dirkclod
As Erised said and being new I would learn to fly it and see just how you do before I would do anything else .
If you mess up you are going to cut yourself with the carbon props as well as break one if you tilt over .
Small steps virdi and Welcome to the forum :)

What are you expecting from an upgrade? I have 3 P1s and they fly just fine. One is carrying a 3D gimbal and using a Multistar 4000ma battery so I have 9450 props on it. I only use DJI props. If you know how to fly and not crash will be your best upgrade. No real need to change something that works well.

I personally had no luck with CF blades. Probably user error, but on both flight attempts I lost 2 blades (4 total). Then I threw out the other 2 that were left over. I have some friends that tried CF's on their P2's and they said they had similar experiences.

I just finished flying my P1 and I probably crashed the last time I flew, so one of the blades was skimming the quad's dome as both sides flew by. I turn it off, grabbed the blades and pulled them up gently.

Spun her back up and she was as good as new - granted she did not stay perfectly in-spot... but those stock blades just keep on going.

If you MUST have carbon, try the factory DJI 9450 Carbon Reinforced props. Relatively inexpensive, nowhere near as stiff and dangerous as "normal" CF props but definitely sturdier than the standard plastic props. I have them on both my P1.1.1s and my P3P.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic