new P3S with very limited range

Reaction score
I have a brand new P3S. The best range I've been able to get is about 500 feet. Is this normal? DJI says it should be out about 1/2 kilometer (about 1550 feet) and I've seen Youtube videos with standard ranges of upwards of 4000 feet (without range extenders). What am I doing wrong? I've lost signal and had a RTH twice at ranges of about 550 feet. Thank you for your insight.

where are you flying? in a dense suburban neighborhood? WIFI signals, trees, buildings, large power transmission lines, all degrade your signal.

I've been flying primarily in two locations: a large open public park, and on the edge of a lake.

make sure you are not 'pointing' the external antenna at the drone but keeping that antenna kind of vertical to the drone.

My standard goes about 1500ft think that's the app limitation that I need to change , I'd make sure there are no obstructions between you and the drone, electromagnetic or physical. There are apps for that.

I updated the firmware and did a re-calibration of the IMU. That seems to have done the trick. My max now is about 1300 feet out over the lake with nothing and nobody around. Back in suburbia I'm restricted to maybe 500 feet. But that is to be expected when every house has its own wifi network, lots of tall trees, and snow falling.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub