New P3S User - HELP PLEASE! Auto Takeoff & Landing but nothing more

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
This is my first time buying any sort of rc anything some please excuse if I am asking stupid questions....

I have a Phantom 3 Standard, using an iPhone 6s as the device.
I have followed the instructions as set-out in the user manual and i am still having the a significant problem.

**I can get the drone to auto-takeoff, but i am then unable to control it. the drone just sits and hovers around 1m off the ground.....I can get the drone to auto land using the app but that is all.

I have a green light on the remote telling me rc is connected to the drone. I have the S1 switch set to the upper spot.
I have calibrated the compass.
Although there are yellow flashing lights on the drone when i turn it on - which i assumed meant it needed to be calibrated...

I should also add i am receiving camera feed to my phone while all of this is happening.

Any ideas of what i am doing wrong or note doing? Thanks in advance.

If you turn the controller on and the drone on, is the drone flashing white? If so, rebind controller to drone.

Although there are yellow flashing lights on the drone when i turn it on
That means the remote controller is not connected to your Phantom. As Marknmd recommended, try linking your remote controller -- like this:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

If you turn the controller on and the drone on, is the drone flashing white? If so, rebind controller to drone.
Huh, flashing white, the led's on the back, shouldn't they be yellow, and how can he be getting live camera with remote not linked (on a standard). I can't see how the app could telling the Phantom to Take off and Land with out a RC linked.

No, I don't have a clue, what is going on.
:eek:

Hope this guy gives an update since a couple of days have passed.

Rod

Reactions: Pharm
Hi Guys,
This is my first time buying any sort of rc anything some please excuse if I am asking stupid questions....

I have a Phantom 3 Standard, using an iPhone 6s as the device.
I have followed the instructions as set-out in the user manual and i am still having the a significant problem.

**I can get the drone to auto-takeoff, but i am then unable to control it. the drone just sits and hovers around 1m off the ground.....I can get the drone to auto land using the app but that is all.

I have a green light on the remote telling me rc is connected to the drone. I have the S1 switch set to the upper spot.
I have calibrated the compass.
Although there are yellow flashing lights on the drone when i turn it on - which i assumed meant it needed to be calibrated...

I should also add i am receiving camera feed to my phone while all of this is happening.

Any ideas of what i am doing wrong or note doing? Thanks in advance.

Hope you come back, ya here, Did you get it figured out?
If not, are you getting Telemetry?
If the remote light is green, what is the color of the small tiny light on the bottom of the phantom?

Rod

Hi Guys, firstly thank you all for helping out with suggestions.

Good news - I have finally had the drone working and had my first flight yesterday.

After going through multiple YouTube vids etc I got the thing running.
What I realized was - a bunch of things, not sure which of these fixed the problem but anyway -

- my SD card was slightly popped out of its slot. Which wasn't prompting the firm ware update through the app. So I competed this

- and then completed an IMU calibration
- made sure I repeated the activation of my gear in the specific order of; turn on controller, turn on battery on drone, connect iPhone to wifi and then finally start the app (not sure if this is actually important but I filled it and it worked)...

Anyway everything is up and working and again, thanks for your help....

Reactions: RodPad
Thanks for the update!
This or these forums don't work unless there is answers to the problems.
:)

Rod

Huh, flashing white, the led's on the back, shouldn't they be yellow, and how can he be getting live camera with remote not linked (on a standard). I can't see how the app could telling the Phantom to Take off and Land with out a RC linked.

No, I don't have a clue, what is going on.
:eek:

Hope this guy gives an update since a couple of days have passed.

Rod

rod
on the standard he would be able to get telemetry and video on device without rc link.
the standard uses wifi to device
vs.
the usb from rc to device on p3adv and pro/4.

rod
on the standard he would be able to get telemetry and video on device without rc link.
the standard uses wifi to device
vs.
the usb from rc to device on p3adv and pro/4.
Auto take off won't work if the AC isn't bound to the RC.

Thanks, didn't know that
actually have been flying for years and have had several p3's and NEVER used auto take off or land...lol
I find the flying part relaxing ...

good luck and have fun flying!

Thanks, didn't know that
actually have been flying for years and have had several p3's and NEVER used auto take off or land...lol
I find the flying part relaxing ...

good luck and have fun flying!
Yeah, I have only tried it once, I think Auto should at least be 8' to 10'. At least above adult human heads, not at waist level and or eye level for youngster.

But, when you finally get the neighborhood kid to admit he did paint ball your car a couple of weeks ago.
You show him the Auto takeoff feature.:D
:oops::eek:

Rod

Reactions: Pharm
So was I right or wrong, it appears lately there is 2 WiFi signals / channels coming from the Phantom to the remote. So it would be possible to get Video and not Telemetry or the opposite?

Rod

So was I right or wrong, it appears lately there is 2 WiFi signals / channels coming from the Phantom to the remote. So it would be possible to get Video and not Telemetry or the opposite?

Rod
I would say that's correct. If there's a malfunction on one channel, the other could still be working. Whether or not there are two separate channels (one for video, one for telemetry), I don't know.

Re: post #8:

However, It would seem to me that if the bird isn't linked that you wouldn't get either. Otherwise, I could stand next to you with my phone, open DJI Go and see everything your bird is seeing. In addition, I could see all your telemetry. From standing next to someone that was flying while my controller was on but my bird was off, I never saw their video or telemetry and wouldn't expect to. That leads me to believe I have to be linked so DJI Go knows which specific bird to show me video and telemetry from. Hope I explained that to where it made sense.

Last edited:
I would say that's correct. If there's a malfunction on one channel, the other could still be working. Whether or not there are two separate channels (one for video, one for telemetry), I don't know.

Re: post #8:

However, It would seem to me that if the bird isn't linked that you wouldn't get either. Otherwise, I could stand next to you with my phone, open DJI Go and see everything your bird is seeing. In addition, I could see all your telemetry. From standing next to someone that was flying while my controller was on but my bird was off, I never saw their video or telemetry and wouldn't expect to. That leads me to believe I have to be linked so DJI Go knows which specific bird to show me video and telemetry from. Hope I explained that to where it made sense.

the link is via wifi for video and data.

when you first set it up you are connecting the wifi repeater inside the RC unit to the phantom wifi module.

at that point they are like your pc and router at home.
one is a client of the other and is locked to it via MAC address.
the repeater inside the RC then allows the device and quad to communicate via the wifi

the RC uses 5.8 to xmit control signals to quad separate from feed

your device need not be attached or even near the rc,
you can let someone watch video while you fly via LOS and RC.
only one can connect at a time though as it is locked via MAC etc

for fun I recommend shut off home router when flying from home,
as the drone goes further away the RC gets a weaker and weaker signal to pickup and work with-- thus cut outs etc.
my thought is the home router is very strong in contrast to the quad signal..
they share freq range and can xmit signal can bleed over channels especially when very strong...(AC 1900 router 15 feet away)
I may not help much but cannot hurt.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31