New P3S owner!

Reaction score
Hello all! I picked up a P3S today. I was debating on getting a drone for awhile, but didn't realize DJI made lower priced ones. When I saw this, and after reading a bunch of reviews, I was sold on it. However, when I got to Best Buy, I saw they had the Yuneec Typhoon Q500 4k! It looked so nice, but I thought it was a little too big/expensive for my first drone.

So I went home, read everything while I charged up and then took it out for its first flight. Surprisingly, it was very easy to fly. I've been into RC stuff my whole life, had a few helicopters over the years, so I've flown before.

I need to change some camera settings, since it looked like my footage wasn't really crisp, so maybe it wasn't on 1080?

I definitely need to get a few more batteries over time and I am currently looking for a nice bag/case. I see there's a lot of threads about them, so I'll be looking through them. I'd like to stay around the $100 range if possible.

Also, during my flight, it started to gently drizzle. Is flying in any type of rain ok?

Thanks!

Reactions: flpholt
no rain is not good for it

yep and worse thing is to much wind

Reactions: Squirrel!
Welcome to the forum!

I just ordered the DJI hard case backpack from Amazon. I got it for $75. It will be here next week. I have flown with others that have it and really like it. But, I just used my box for a case for 3 months and it worked well. I am getting the case now since my box is getting a little worn out now and it was a great deal.

As far as the rain, I am with flpholt on that one. Rain is not good. I got stuck in a very light mist that popped up one day and flew it right back and in the box.

Anyway, enjoy the forum and everyone on it. It is great and there are lots of good threads for many different topics.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: flpholt
Words of advice if you are looking for a new battery:
It will be very hard to find a battery under $100 and if you do, it is probably a fake.
Fake batteries are something you need to watch out for if you go deal hunting online, they will look exactly the same except they will not have "intelligent flight battery" printed on them since that title is owned by DJI. Currently the #1 seller on amazon for phantom batteries is a fake battery!
This battery on amazon, http://www.amazon.com/DJI-Phantom-I...=1463616345&sr=8-4&keywords=phantom+3+battery , is the real deal. The price will jump around a lot on the battery and never stays one price for too long based on what i have seen.

Words of advice if you are looking for a new battery:
It will be very hard to find a battery under $100 and if you do, it is probably a fake.
Fake batteries are something you need to watch out for if you go deal hunting online, they will look exactly the same except they will not have "intelligent flight battery" printed on them since that title is owned by DJI. Currently the #1 seller on amazon for phantom batteries is a fake battery!
This battery on amazon, Amazon.com : DJI Phantom 3 Intelligent Flight Battery - 4480mah - 23 Minute Flying Time - For the Phantom 3 Professional and Phantom 3 Advance : Camera & Photo , is the real deal. The price will jump around a lot on the battery and never stays one price for too long based on what i have seen.
I was referring to a case when I said around $100. Sorry for any confusion.

Wow, $129 isn't bad. All I have seen is $149. So that's a legit battery you linked me to?

I just did a search and found them for $124 on Amazon Prime!

You see those 4 electric motors? The ones that have nothing over them except a propeller, yeah keep water out of those

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Camrise is selling P3 batteries for $119 shipped. It's not an Amazon Prime deal, but they are an authorized DJI dealer. So, you can be sure they are legit OEM batteries.

I've only owned my P3S for a little over a week now and already bought a second battery. I now see a secondary battery as a necessity because of the flight time (especially if your out on a trip). I believe I paid about $129, worth every penny.

I have owned my P3S for about 3 week, picked up my second about 3 days ago. I luckly have an "in" and I get my batteries for 121 after tax, locally. (Florida)

If I were you, I'd keep the PS3 for 12 days, and return it to get the p3 advanced. I wish I had done it, but am stuck with the PS3, which is a great drone.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'm also new in drone world and my experience is only one week with my P3S :)
Was looking at drones for more than one year, but I wasn't happy with the prices. But then P4 was released P3 prices dropped and it pushed me to go and buy one :) Always was thinking on buying advanced version, but thought that standard will be more than enough for me. I like standard version except one thing - short flying distance. Had some thoughts on exchanging to advanced version, but still you have to pay additional $ for getting it. And as I don't fly very frequently and this is my first drone I think I will keep it and someday will make some antenna mods to extend range.
Also I've ordered this bag/case: http://www.amazon.com/DroneGuard-40...261&sr=8-1&keywords=lowepro+droneguard+cs+400
It's quite universal and modular inside, also you can use it for other drones like 3dr solo. I will receive it today, so still can't comment my experience with it. But I saw some good reviews about it.

Cases are very subjective I've found. A lot of people like backpacks if you plan to go hiking with them, others like hard side cases if you plan to travel with it a lot. As I plan to bring mine to England to visit my sister in a few months and I don't do much hiking but will be driving around with it I went straight for a hard side case.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'm also new in drone world and my experience is only one week with my P3S :)
Was looking at drones for more than one year, but I wasn't happy with the prices. But then P4 was released P3 prices dropped and it pushed me to go and buy one :) Always was thinking on buying advanced version, but thought that standard will be more than enough for me. I like standard version except one thing - short flying distance. Had some thoughts on exchanging to advanced version, but still you have to pay additional $ for getting it. And as I don't fly very frequently and this is my first drone I think I will keep it and someday will make some antenna mods to extend range.
Also I've ordered this bag/case: http://www.amazon.com/DroneGuard-40...261&sr=8-1&keywords=lowepro+droneguard+cs+400
It's quite universal and modular inside, also you can use it for other drones like 3dr solo. I will receive it today, so still can't comment my experience with it. But I saw some good reviews about it.

Oh I forgot to mention, that one of main reasons I have chosen this case is that you can carry you copter with props on. So I don't need to take of my props of copter every time.

What do you guys set your range and max altitude to? I had mine on beginner yesterday, then changed it to 200 for each setting.

Also, any other tips for me? Maybe some DIY mods?

What do you guys set your range and max altitude to? I had mine on beginner yesterday, then changed it to 200 for each setting.
I disable the max range and set the max altitude to 500 meters. My preference is to be able to control the Phantom myself. When in beginner mode, you can only fly a maximum of 30 meters in any direction. So, those settings will not be used if they exceed 30 meters.

Also, any other tips for me? Maybe some DIY mods?
Check out PhantomHelp.com.

I disable the max range and set the max altitude to 500 meters. My preference is to be able to control the Phantom myself. When in beginner mode, you can only fly a maximum of 30 meters in any direction. So, those settings will not be used if they exceed 30 meters.

Check out PhantomHelp.com.
+2

Thanks for the replies.

My camera doesn't look like it's recording in nice quality. How do I change so it's on 1080?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav