New P3A owner, some questions

Reaction score
So I recently bought a P3S that was faulty and had to return it, and got P3A..both second hand. I am so much happier, the difference in range/interference is huge.

So I have some questions:
- I`ve read many people complained in significantly lower range after upgrading the FW of their P3S...what about the P3A, I know the FW versions are different, but should I upgrade, what are the pros and cons...currently everything is working fine, but the "upgrade FW" alert is kinda annoying.

- regarding VPS - I know its been discussed before, but making the long story short: should I disable it, and only enable if flying indoors (which is unlikely for me at this point)

- regarding Intelligent Flight Modes - I know I have to go into F-mode...what does that change, other than allowing the IFM? Should I keep it inf F constantly, or only when using IFM?

Last edited:
regarding VPS - I know its been discussed before, but making the long story short: should I disable it
You can keep it enabled unless it's causing an unstable hover when flying close to the ground. It should work just fine over most ground surfaces.

regarding Intelligent Flight Modes - I know I have to go into F-mode...what does that change, other than allowing the IFM? Should I keep it inf F constantly
Fly in P-mode when you're not using the intelligent flight modes.

It should help your Phantom hold a stable hover when close to the ground.

Down close to the ground (20 ft or less), VPS is supposed to help stabilize both height and position. That being said, how well it works can be affected by the surface it's looking at. A dull, featureless or regularly patterned surface can make it difficult for the algorithm to maintain position. Personally I think it doesn't really offer any advantage.

I suspect you havent noticed 99% of the times, there are differencies between advertised information, and real-life user information...ofcourse I`ve read all the standard info, but thats what forums are for-to get first hand info, from people that have tested it and dont have a reason to lie for it. I understand its purpose, I wanted to know if its even worth turning it on, when flying outside.

Thanks to Richard R, I think that is enough info on that matter.

What about my first, and probably most important questions, have you noticed major differencies when upgrading FW? Is there a real, pratical pro of upgrading to latest FW?

Dont be in a rush to update FW. Take some time to fly the bird and check everything out. Odds are that the FW it was shaped with will work just fine. Do some research about what is different in the version that you have and later versions well as any issues or problems people have been having. Then you can make an intelligent decision about what actions are best for you. Myself, I'm a couple of version behind and don't plan to update because everything is working just fine for the way I fl my birds.

I don't like to rush into installing new firmware, but I do like to use the latest firmware after it's known to be stable. I work in software development, so I'm well aware that bugs are often fixed and never mentioned. Therefore, I always want to make sure I'm running the most recent firmware.

Reactions: Numone
I suspect you havent noticed 99% of the times, there are differencies between advertised information, and real-life user information...ofcourse I`ve read all the standard info, but thats what forums are for-to get first hand info, from people that have tested it and dont have a reason to lie for it. I understand its purpose, I wanted to know if its even worth turning it on, when flying outside.

Thanks to Richard R, I think that is enough info on that matter.

What about my first, and probably most important questions, have you noticed major differencies when upgrading FW? Is there a real, pratical pro of upgrading to latest FW?
Well, no that's not my experience at all, but I understand. Incidentally, VPS works very well indoors where there isn't a GPS signal, upto about 10 feet. That's it's primary function.

Re your next question. Personally, I've updated the APP (except for the very latest, as it doesn't seem to have any improvements / changes / additions for the P3 series) and all FW to the most current once it's been used for a couple of months by others, to let them be the beta testers. Once I've gone ahead, I've never experienced any issues with any of these changes and the AC has continued to perform perfectly.

Last edited:
Keeponrollin would you tell us the suite version you run ? (AC, RC, App)

Re your next question. Personally, I've updated the APP (except for the very latest, as it doesn't seem to have any improvements / changes / additions for the P3 series) and all FW to the most current once it's been used for a couple of months by others, to let them be the beta testers. Once I've gone ahead, I've never experienced any issues with any of these changes and the AC has continued to perform perfectly.

so when you draw the line, the only difference is, you just dont get the "update FW" alert in the app...if everything else is the same, whats the point of taking a chance ?

so when you draw the line, the only difference is, you just dont get the "update FW" alert in the app...if everything else is the same, whats the point of taking a chance ?
Well, I've given you my opinion, so quite honestly I can only suggest you arrive at your own.

Keeponrollin would you tell us the suite version you run ? (AC, RC, App)
DJI app 3.1.2
Aircraft 1.9.60
RC 1.8.0

So I`ve read in other threads, that people are mostly complaining from upgrading to 1.10, and say thats now its not possible to downgrade, even one step down, as it was until now. So since there are no new features that I need, I will not update.

What concerns me a bit, its a cloudy winter at the moment and havent had the chance to fly in sunny conditions, is the quality of the images...can someone share fullsize 12mp examples of photos in low light, preferably in a room with artificial lighting...I understand its no DSLR, and that I should stick to ISO100, but still I`d like to see some examples to compare.

edit: now I`ve read its a common issue to have unfocused/soft/blurred areas...problem is until now its always been dark, or in a room with artificial light, so I cant really tell if the higher ISO(noise) is messing the quality, or its actually out of focus.

Last edited:
So the original owner sent me a photo from a good sunlight (as its winter here and the lighting is pretty poor) from three months ago. ISO100 (which everyone says its critical for non-grainy photos, 1/500)...I know its a jpeg, but does it look like this is the quality of the P3A photos, or it seems blurred/out of focus to you? Ofcourse I know RAW will be better, plus Im good in Photoshop so I will be able to increase the contrast.

Attachments

• DJI_0049.JPG
    DJI_0049.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 375
I think I understood the problem...I was just looking at jpeg files, because thats the way I bought it, and didnt go through the settings...today I enabled RAW, which ofcourse I intend to use, and compared it to the jpeg....the difference is huge. And still, in poor lighting, I believe thats just the best I could get with this sensor and theres nothing wrong with the camera focus. First one is jpeg saved from the RAW throught photoshop the second is just the jpeg from the drone.

Attachments

• DJI_0037.jpg
    DJI_0037.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 257
  • DJI_0037.JPG
    DJI_0037.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 341
I think I understood the problem...I was just looking at jpeg files, because thats the way I bought it, and didnt go through the settings...today I enabled RAW, which ofcourse I intend to use, and compared it to the jpeg....the difference is huge. And still, in poor lighting, I believe thats just the best I could get with this sensor and theres nothing wrong with the camera focus. First one is jpeg saved from the RAW throught photoshop the second is just the jpeg from the drone.

Just enable JPEG and RAW, then you the option to select either.

I know, I just bought it like that-with the RAW disabled, and my first and only flight so far I was kinda in a rush and shot in Auto settings, I totally forgot about RAW and was stressed about blur.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj