New P3 World Record 8.065 miles

Screenshot_2015-10-10-13-28-28.png

Thats awesome! What battery percentage did you turn back at? Was there video the whole time?

@bobmyers - So this is where my confusion comes in. I think we agree that 4% can damage a battery... so how is it that DJI is recommending for us to drop it down to 8% every 20 cycles? Won't that damage the cells?

@UnknownCaller - Fantastic work... and Congratulations on a great flight.
It was explained like this in a Webinar by one of the Vendors-- The 8% discharge is intended to recalibrate the Smart Battery. Those individual cell readings is telemetry obtained from the Smart Battery circuit. They recommended flying the P3 down to 20 % and landing it. Take the battery out and let it cool down. Take the props off the P3 and let the battery discharge to 8% idling. Then recharge. The difference being that the battery is not discharging to 8 % under maximum discharge. The high amperage discharge is what damages the cells when they reach the low voltage ( when it is in flight).
I have done the discharge to 8% on two of my five batteries and both recharged and still show 100%. So based on the information in the Seminar and my personal experience with the two batteries I have already "deep cycled", it looks like a proven practice and this deep cycle discharge at reduced amperage does not damage the cells. :)

It was explained like this in a Webinar by one of the Vendors-- The 8% discharge is intended to recalibrate the Smart Battery. Those individual cell readings is telemetry obtained from the Smart Battery circuit. They recommended flying the P3 down to 20 % and landing it. Take the battery out and let it cool down. Take the props off the P3 and let the battery discharge to 8% idling. Then recharge. The difference being that the battery is not discharging to 8 % under maximum discharge. The high amperage discharge is what damages the cells when they reach the low voltage ( when it is in flight).
I have done the discharge to 8% on two of my five batteries and both recharged and still show 100%. So based on the information in the Seminar and my personal experience with the two batteries I have already "deep cycled", it looks like a proven practice and this deep cycle discharge at reduced amperage does not damage the cells. :)

@bobmyers - I wish I could give you more than one like. That was seriously the most clear (and best) explanation I've had on this topic. I've inquired through friends, and also through this site, and have never been 100% clear.... until now. Thank you soooooo much for that awesome explanation. Now, I will deep discharge mine without any hesitation. Thanks again :)

Reactions: bobmyers
@bobmyers - I wish I could give you more than one like. That was seriously the most clear (and best) explanation I've had on this topic. I've inquired through friends, and also through this site, and have never been 100% clear.... until now. Thank you soooooo much for that awesome explanation. Now, I will deep discharge mine without any hesitation. Thanks again :)
Let's give the due credit to the Vendor who puts on the monthly Webinars here-- it was the first time that anyone ever used the word "recalibrate" for the Smart Battery and that makes perfect sense-- I am learning everyday, just as you are.:D:D

Let's give the due credit to the Vendor who puts on the monthly Webinars here-- it was the first time that anyone ever used the word "recalibrate" for the Smart Battery and that makes perfect sense-- I am learning everyday, just as you are.:D:D

Well said. Thank you again :)

Reactions: bobmyers

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik