New p3 owner Advice please

Reaction score
Hi everyone, well iv wanted one of these things for ages and decided to take the plunge and got a p3 advanced, it's being delivered on Tuesday, now I bought a hubsan x4 then moved on to a syma x5c, but I am by no means a pro, now I have a few questions,
First I have a Sony experia z2 is this going to work with my phantom has anyone here tried? I have downloaded the pilot app and had a bit of a play with th it just to get my head around it,

Also after reading so many things on here of people's phantoms flying away I thought of maybe buying a GPS tracker to put on it as you can buy them pretty cheap on the bay, but will they interfere with the units gps at all? And has anyone here ever tried it, the more and more I read things on here the more scared I'm getting about taking this thing out the box,
Many thanks
Ben

I have a Sony experia z2 is this going to work with my phantom
Yes. Here are some other commonly used devices:
Tablets and phones that work well with DJI Go & DJI Pilot | DJI Phantom Forum

I thought of maybe buying a GPS tracker
A GPS tracker is a great idea. It seems the P3 is not as prone to a fly-aways as the P2, but anything is possible. It's a relatively inexpensive way to protect your investment.

You can find a complete list of commonly used trackers here:
DJI Phantom Accessories & Tips - Phantom Help

The Trackimo GPS tracker is one of the more popular options. I have it installed on my Phantom -- and, it has been working well for me. It seems like one of the more expensive options, but it includes the first year of cell service. After you add the cell service to the cost of the other trackers, they are pretty close to the same price.

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies, is there anything else I should be aware of before I unbox this thing and take her up, should I update the firmware or leave it as it is out the box? Getting mixed feelings on this thanks

It seems most Phantoms are being shipped with firmware version 1.1.9. If that's what you have, then I'd recommend you keep it. Some people are experiencing issues with the current firmware.

Here are some other suggestions before flying:

1) Download the Phantom manual, read it, and understand it.
2) Watch these videos.
3) Read the Phantom Help Guide.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tricky and Fplvert
I've never had any issues but i do use the RF V16 Tracker, velcroed on the back of the battery just in case.

2z8pw5t.jpg

67v1as.jpg

28iu72g.jpg

Ideal think getting a tracker is the best idea, also iv read mixed reviews on calibration of the compass I thought you had to do it every flight but other people say different? Thanks

Ideal think getting a tracker is the best idea, also iv read mixed reviews on calibration of the compass I thought you had to do it every flight but other people say different? Thanks
No, it's not necessary to re-calibrate the compass unless you've changed location over 100 miles.

In my experience, it's best to manually take off and let the bird hover 10-15 feet high. If it's a good stable hover, taillights are green, GPS says safe to fly, proceed on flight.

If anything is amiss, land and sort it out before you try again.

Reactions: keepngoal
I'll add it's good to see your going with the X5C Symia You will find it challenging something many should do before getting a Phantom.
You will actually like tearing around anywhere with it too. :)

It came!! got everything set up watched tomes of videos of the last few months, charged the batteries did all the calibrations and took it out in the garden, spent 20 minutes flying around only going about 12ft high or so and about 20ft away and am amazed at how this thing handles, I'm even more amazed how it lands and takes off so smooth, did a couple of pictures and videos and they are very smooth so very pleased with my purchase if there's anything anyone might think iv missed or some good tips I'm all ears cheers

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik