New P-3 owner wondering what spare parts should I buy?

Reaction score
My family gave me a Phantom 3 for my 60th birthday last week which was super cool! So far I have logged about 6 hours of just practicing basic flying, take offs and landings. I never was very good with video game controllers so I am trying to get my flying skills in order before attempting any real video or still image work. I am especially working on controlling the craft when it is going towards me as things are reversed or at an angle but away from me. I usually go to the local school near me that is out for the summer break and practice on their soccer field.

I've only had one bad landing where I knocked loose one of the small rubber vibration grommets but was able to refit it. That got me thinking as to what are the basic spare parts to have on hand. I'm not thinking of batteries or memory cards which are essential to have extras of. But what parts should I expect to break or loose?

I'm guessing blades are a good idea but should I get the basic OEM ones or the more expensive carbon ones? I am using the blade guards at least until I feel more confident.

Grommets might be a good idea, any other suggestions are appreciated.

Also what kind of tools should I keep handy?

Thanks

But what parts should I expect to break or loose?
Props are definitely one of the most commonly damaged parts. Depending on how you crash, you can pretty much break anything.

I'm guessing blades are a good idea but should I get the basic OEM ones or the more expensive carbon ones?
It's best to only use DJI props. They do make carbon fiber reinforced props, but you likely won't noticed a difference in performance with them. Many people buy them for cosmetic reasons.

Also what kind of tools should I keep handy?
A toolkit like the iFixit toolkit or Boxer toolkit contains all of the tools you'll need to work on your Phantom.

I would say not a **** one! If you break something you can fix it! In all the time I have had my phantom 3, I have never broken anything. The Phantom 2 used to tip over on landing, and I had to buy motors on more than one occasion, and props.

With this one, I have never had an issue, and it comes with a spare set of props....

I would just wait. Otherwise you have parts laying around you never use...

Most of the parts can be found on Amazon. If you find you need to replace something, you can usually get the part in a day or two via Amazon Prime.

From a relative newbie I would also say none. Buy what you need when or if you break it.... Otherwise its stock on the shelf you may never need - hopefully

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Agree with all of the above. Do buy props and replace them as soon as they show signs of wear. The plastic ones are great and better in my humble opinion than the carbon fibre ones as they are more flexible and able to deal with minor knocks better. The downside of the plastic props is after considerable use the inner screw goes and if not replaced the prop could come off mid flight. They are not expensive so just replace them. Be careful of none original dji props as some times these need to be balanced before use. I would spend your money not on spare parts but on a good travel bag.[emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I should add that a hex spanner set comes in useful. Sometimes the hex nuts are over tightened at the factory and some P3 owners find that over time they get cracks round by the screws so slightly adjusting the screw can help reduce the pressure and help prevent such a problem.

Reactions: Chrisinhouston

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20