New Ownwer

Reaction score
Hi All,

Well I am a new drone owner and after reading through this forum for about an hour I am really depressed---it seems as if I have purchased a new flying camera that is illegal to fly almost anywhere in California or really in the USA---I am sure that I could go to some rather boring deserted field in the middle of nowhere and fly but anything more will be illegal in some way---why do people want to own one? What is the point of all these tech add-on for range and quality when the entire experience seems for the most part to be illegal and disallowed by local laws?

Cheers to all but depress with my new hobby and looked forward to pastime. Went to join my local RC Flying Club last night and was met with general disinterest and veiled hostility since they seem to feel the drone would be cause for them to be booted out of their Sunday Morning meeting place at the local country airport.

Cheers Again

Machie

Machie,
Welcome to the forum. You haven't posted your location in California, so I cannot give you any specific suggestions about where to fly your Phantom. You may not be able to fly right out your front door, but I don't think it is as bad as you've concluded from reading on this forum. Tell us where you are and maybe we can help. I haven't had any contact with the RC flyers or clubs, but be careful about denigrating them as a whole, because a lot of the people on this forum are RC pilots - or have been for years.

machie said:
Hi All,

Well I am a new drone owner and after reading through this forum for about an hour I am really depressed---it seems as if I have purchased a new flying camera that is illegal to fly almost anywhere in California or really in the USA---I am sure that I could go to some rather boring deserted field in the middle of nowhere and fly but anything more will be illegal in some way---why do people want to own one? What is the point of all these tech add-on for range and quality when the entire experience seems for the most part to be illegal and disallowed by local laws?

Cheers to all but depress with my new hobby and looked forward to pastime. Went to join my local RC Flying Club last night and was met with general disinterest and veiled hostility since they seem to feel the drone would be cause for them to be booted out of their Sunday Morning meeting place at the local country airport.

Cheers Again

Machie

I am in San Diego and I fly all over the place LEGALLY by staying under 400', staying 5 miles away from airports, and flying for recreation, not payment. If you are talking about restrictions on flying in National and State parks, well that is a different story. Since I have teenage kids who are athletes and no life of my own, I can't plan the weekend getaway to places I want to go fly yet, but there are PLENTY of places to fly locally until then.

Welcome aboard and don't get too down about this already!

If you got into this hobby to go careering down busy city centre streets buzzing the public, or sightseeing over military bases, or FPV cruising at 3,000ft then you have definitely made a mistake.
If you're sensible about where, when and how you fly though, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. The national park ban you guys have over there is a real shame but in a state the size of California there must still be no shortage of amazing places to fly safely without attracting negative attention. Police aren't actively looking to prevent 'drone crime' and I don't think you have to worry about that. Best way I've found of keeping out of trouble is by keeping away from people because some of them like to cause problems. Also, if you've filmed a questionable fight, best keep it off YouTube ;-)

Don't get too wrapped up in all the legal issues. If you want to fly in an area, just stop a local police officer and tell him what your doing. Ask if it's ok. I do this all the time and I have only been met with courtesy and genuine enthusiasm by the officers. Then go fly without the worry of being harassed. :D

Hey New Guy,

Welcome to the party. Even in the land of fruits and nuts you can legally operate your flying camera. For those of you who dunt know, Land of Fruits & Nuts = California. You probably can't get away with what I do here in WY, but I bet you can have tons of fun there.

It would help if you shared at least your county with us.

If you give up on flying there, ship me your bird and I'll send you the videos I shoot with it. :lol: :lol:

Just use a LOT of common sense and you shouldn't have any problems if you follow these rules:

1) Do not fly within 3 miles of an airport
2) Do not fly over 400 ft. AGL (above ground height)
3) Do not fly over or buzz large groups of people (many will not appreciate a drone in that way) or harass wildlife
4) Don't fly around skyscrapers, cell towers, or power lines
5) Do not fly over nuclear power plants (probably also coal-fired plants) because of high security concerns
6) Do not fly near military bases of any kind
7) Bring it down fast if you see a low-flying Medevac or police helicopter (below 400 ft) in the near vicinity
8) Night flying is pretty useless unless it's out in a rural area and you wont run into any cell towers
9) Flying over open water is fine but you'll likely never get it back if it crashes
10) Read the User Manual about 8 or 9 times and watch a lot of tutorials on YouTube about how all the controls work!

If a police officer wants you to land it, just obey and be courteous. Yes, there are some ignorant cops out there who seem to make up drone laws on the spot, but deal with that problem using a lawyer instead of a bad attitude.

Not sure what to tell you about having discussions with bystanders who are fascinated by your machine. It might be best to find a secluded area when you are learning basic maneuvers so you'll have peace and quiet and can focus on honing your skills. Sometimes bystanders can be pretty annoying (little kids) and they ask a lot of questions while you fly, but you might have a cute girl in a bikini want to know more and I'm sure you can find time to discuss details with her over drinks (wink wink). Chicks dig Phantom pilots! :p

Thanks Everybody for the quick and informative replies! I think that I was a bit overwhelmed by all the talk about peoples negative worries and legal/social reactions to uav flying. I am a retired pilot with a lifetime deep interest in flying and aviation in all forms---at my advanced age my Aviation Interests have turned to mentoring new pilots at my local FBO/Flying Club---my much loved and elaborate Flight Simulator/Virtual Airline---and my new excitement with Drones. I love to fly and I love aerial photography, so once I discovered Quadcopters through a YouTube Video of the DJI Inspire I was hooked. I will take all of your helpful advice and begin working my way up the Phantom Learning curve as I have done with every new aircraft during my entire aviation life.

I live in the small town of Rio Vista California on the Golf Course in a Gated Retirement Community. My backyard is literally a 500 yard long Par 5 and once the Golfers have finished for the day people walk and play out there everyday. Some people fly their Mall Lever counter rotating blade Helicopters out there and my drone flying out there has elicited only favorable interest.

I did not mean to denigrate my local RC Flying club---the sense of negativity I felt my have been coming from Pilots in the FBO rather then RC Club members sine both entities are located in the same building and being new to the environment I am not really sure who/what members I was talking to.

Again thanks for all the information. I am glad that I have found this forum since it is clear that there in super knowledgable base of Phantom flyers located here

Cheers

Machie {Dorn}

So far 400' AGL is not a question of being legal or illegal, but that may change. In the USA, manned aircraft are not supposed to fly below 500' AGL over habited areas, and if a responsible UAS pilot stays below 400' AGL in the same areas as the AMA advises, then there is a safety 100' separation between the two. I don't know the manned aircraft regulations in the desert, over a national park, or over large lakes, but I guess you fly your Phantom over 400' there at your own risk and peril.

I recently purchased an inexpensive ($60) quad copter, to learn how to control it and see if the hobby is worth pursuing.
Well, I have become fairly competent with it in the yard. So, I am now awaiting the arrival of a Phantom 2, it should be delivered tomorrow.

I don't know any local areas where RC aircraft are being flown, with or without creating ire from the uninformed public.

BTW, don't fly in Santa Barbara County Parks. A County law prohibits it unless you have a permit from the Director or Deputy Director of County Parks. Here is the text of the law:

"No person shall land, launch or operate any model aircraft, whether gas-powered or electric or other propulsion, within any county recreation area except in posted designated areas or with prior written permission of the county director of community services or deputy director." (Ord. No. 4781, § 1, 3-12-2011; Ord. No. 4833, § 1, 4-10-2012)

Welcome to the forum, you should not have any problems as long as you fly responsibly. You did not throw your flying club under the bus, several older traditional flyers do not look upon us too favorably. It is nothing personal, just the way they are. Enjoy your new hobby.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers