New Owners Impressions

Reaction score
The story of my first flight with a very boring video is here:

http://whitespider.broeking.com/?p=2025

The phantom has done exactly what it is supposed to do every time I have flown it...just as advertised. The highest I have had it is 164 feet and that seemed really high but I know it is just because I am new and not used to it.

Last night I decided the pros of the NASA mode were useful and switched it into that mode via the Assistant software. I think related that to that switch the calibration for the camera title wheel got unchecked and my camera started to act strangely (rotating 90 degrees down and not responding to the DJI Iphone app). After reading in the forums I realized I need to check that box for the stick calibration in the basic mode in Assistant. I also saw the NASA light sequence for the first time and then I noticed the "front "led red lights did not function. I was testing it outside at night and did not turn the engines on... so it being late last night and I was tired, I thought I had hosed my phantom somehow and put it back on the dining room table after putting it back into "Phantom" mode.

This morning I test flew it and of course the red lights come on when you start engines and it flew perfectly. I'll put it back in NASA mode shortly... :D

My phantom is incredibly stable in the air...I think its going to be lots of fun flying this thing and seeing what videos and pictures I can get in the future.

Bob

Virginia

Re: New Owners Impressions - NAZA mode

I flew today in the NAZA mode for the first time and with a light breeze. It was with some trepidation as just an hour before my wife had flown our the mini Hubsan at least 100' in the air, caught the jet stream, and will never be seen by man kind again.... :D It was not her fault...I should not have suggested it with the breeze blowing as it was...lesson learned.

Anyway, back to the Phantom...

Used the DJI app to calibrate the compass for the first time versus the toggling of switches and that worked great. Saw the new NAZA light pattern and got a 10 sat lock.
I took it up to about 40 feet and switched from GPS mode to atti and saw how it immediately starts to drift with the winds and the lights turn to yellow. Flew around acre yard a few times to get the instincts of atti mode and then pushed it back to GPS mode and sent it at a 45 degree heading off my left shoulder. Moved it to Home lock, pulled the right stick back and it immediately flew straight back to me until it got with the 30' circle and it veered off just like I knew it would. Pretty cool and useful! Also tried Course lock and that worked as advertised. The only thing I did not try was fail safe mode on the RC.... I was not feeling that lucky after the mini drone loss...lol. I will try it tomorrow!

I am a NAZA covert for good. Bob

Great post. Thanks for the description, I'm ready for my first NAZA mode training flights as well. But before I do that I will continue practicing with my Hubsan X4 H107C, what a great little machine! Once I learned how to control the Hubsan I feel much more confident in trying ATTI mode on my Phantom, can't wait. I have the P2V+ V2, so far so great!

Re: New Owners Impressions - NAZA mode

motobob said:
I flew today in the NAZA mode for the first time and with a light breeze. It was with some trepidation as just an hour before my wife had flown our the mini Hubsan at least 100' in the air, caught the jet stream, and will never be seen by man kind again.... :D It was not her fault...I should not have suggested it with the breeze blowing as it was...lesson learned.

Anyway, back to the Phantom...

Used the DJI app to calibrate the compass for the first time versus the toggling of switches and that worked great. Saw the new NAZA light pattern and got a 10 sat lock.
I took it up to about 40 feet and switched from GPS mode to atti and saw how it immediately starts to drift with the winds and the lights turn to yellow. Flew around acre yard a few times to get the instincts of atti mode and then pushed it back to GPS mode and sent it at a 45 degree heading off my left shoulder. Moved it to Home lock, pulled the right stick back and it immediately flew straight back to me until it got with the 30' circle and it veered off just like I knew it would. Pretty cool and useful! Also tried Course lock and that worked as advertised. The only thing I did not try was fail safe mode on the RC.... I was not feeling that lucky after the mini drone loss...lol. I will try it tomorrow!

I am a NAZA covert for good. Bob

I almost lost my Husban for the same reason. I took off on my back deck and when it got above my roof the wind started to take my Hubsan away from me and toward the water. I tried to pull back fully but it didn't have enough power to go against the wind there seemed to be nothing that I could do to save it. It was already over the water and starting to get far enough away that I thought I would lose radio contact and then it hit me to put it in "expert" mode. Once the Hubsan was in expert mode it had just enough speed to make it back and I took it in for a safe landing. Since then I do not fly the Hubsan if the wind is over 10mph. Besides, the Phantom is way more fun!

In Naza mode, if you flip S2 up (S2 is the switch on the top left of the remote controller, aka the "Tx"), then you are in the exact same basic flight mode that you are accustomed to.

In my opinion, its kind of pointless that they make people turn on Naza mode in the RC Assistant. Instead they should just tell people to keep S2 in the up position until they have a couple flights under their belt, and then they can try home and course lock.

Tip: label all three positions of both switches. Frankly they should come with labels already.

I tried the RTH mode and it worked perfectly. I have the altitude set to 120 feet but may move it up to 150 to ensure I can clear any tree that I am nearby while flying on my property. It was nice flicking the switch rather than turning the RC off, watching it blink yellow, move quickly straight up to 120', and head directly over my head where I took back control and hand caught it.

My next "test" is to use ground station on a "simple" way point course just to see how it works. I'll place all way points at an altitude above any tree and the first and last one very near me to gain and finish at a high altitude before I land it.

Great piece of technology. Bob

motobob said:
I'll place all way points at an altitude above any tree and the first and last one very near me to gain and finish at a high altitude before I land it.
You can initiate a ground station mission while in the air too. If you do that, you can climb to a safe altitude before you start your mission.

msinger said:
motobob said:
I'll place all way points at an altitude above any tree and the first and last one very near me to gain and finish at a high altitude before I land it.
You can initiate a ground station mission while in the air too. If you do that, you can climb to a safe altitude before you start your mission.

I guess the only question I have pending before my first GS flight next weekend, is what mode should the Phantom be in when you press "go"?

Turned on with motors on idling on the ground?

Turned on but motors off?

Airborne?

Flew it the farthest away from me to date yesterday and got a short video; sur elooked like it was far away!:

http://whitespider.broeking.com/?p=2039

Cheers Bob

erikgraham said:
In Naza mode, if you flip S2 up (S2 is the switch on the top left of the remote controller, aka the "Tx"), then you are in the exact same basic flight mode that you are accustomed to.

In my opinion, its kind of pointless that they make people turn on Naza mode in the RC Assistant. Instead they should just tell people to keep S2 in the up position until they have a couple flights under their belt, and then they can try home and course lock.

Tip: label all three positions of both switches. Frankly they should come with labels already.

On mine,

S2 (top left) controls IOC - top = off, mid = course lock, bottom = home lock
S1 (top right) controls flight mode - top = GPS, mid = ATTI, bottom = Failsafe

To be in same mode as Phantom mode, I think both S1 and S2 have to be at the top.

I completely agree that Phantom mode is daft. If people can't be arsed to learn about it and check that both switches are up, they shouldn't be flying. I'm going to regret saying that - but you know what I mean.

The Ground station uses GPS for coordinates and the phantom needs to be in GPS mode and ready to fly before entering into the Ground Station to set waypoints. Motors do not have to be on, but you must have GPS lock. To fly the mission, idle the motors and Tap Go. It will automatically take off, rise to about 16 feet then fly to the first waypoint.

You can also set enter the ground station and set waypoints while hovering in the air. Tap Go and the phantom will fly to the first waypoint then begin the mission.

Each waypoint can have it's height adjusted to clear objects.

A course may be paused and the phantom will hover until you resume the mission

At the end of the course it will return to the homepoint and hover. Take control of the phantom and manually land or tap the Go Home button (Golf Flag) and it will abort the mission and auto land at the home point.

You can abort a mission and/or retake control of the phantom at any time by flipping S1 into ATTI mode then back to GPS mode.

You cannot save missions. --> IMO that is dumb.

You can read more about cautions and options here:
THE Ultimate Guide for all Phantom Vision and Vision+ owners The Ground station starts on page 41.

I have tried GS a few times and found it a bit nerve wracking giving up control for the flights. It came back and landed a mere 6 feet from where it took off. Almost scary accurate.
I have read some posts which recommended starting in the air, above any nearby obstacles. Or setting the 1st waypoint at some altitude straight up from your home point. I think the reasoning here is to avoid having the drone fly into anything as it takes off from HP on its way to the set altitude and waypoint 1.

In regards to home lock, I've found that you can still control the yaw and directional controls (and altitude). This allows for fairly smooth and cool videography. For instance, flying the drone towards home point by pulling back on the right stick, you can still "spin" the drone around while it is coming towards you. I'm sorry I'm not able to provide better clarity in explaining this.

Good luck!

Sandman1962 said:
In regards to home lock, I've found that you can still control the yaw and directional controls (and altitude). This allows for fairly smooth and cool videography. For instance, flying the drone towards home point by pulling back on the right stick, you can still "spin" the drone around while it is coming towards you. I'm sorry I'm not able to provide better clarity in explaining this.

That had occurred to me but I haven't tried it yet. Looking forward to it.

I flew my first autonomous ground station mission today using GS on my iPhone. Nothing epic... first way point right above me at 120' then another one about 300 yards away in the yard at 130' and then one back by home at 100'. GS worked as advertised...bird was ready to fly with engines off and I closed my eyes and hit the go button!

Engines started, it took off to about 30' or so and then went up to the first way point above my head; stayed here a bit and headed towards 2nd way point. Hovered there and then back to third way point near home and then hovered at home about 100' in the air and I brought it down for hand catch.

I wanted to reset by RTH altitude to 150' from 120' after measuring some trees with my earlier flight so I plugged the bird into the computer and also did the 3.10 upgrade. I noted the app now showed what mode I was flying in and I wanted to make sure the upgrade had not killed the bird so I took off again and it flew fine; no issues.

I am about 10 miles further out from the 25M no fly zone around DC so I wanted to make sure something had messed up that would not allow me to fly on my property. All good. Three successful flights, battery drained to 20%, it is time to declare victory and put it away for the day as it is very cold out there!

With this GS flight, I think I have now successfully tested all of the basic capabilities of the bird so it is time now to venture off the property and see new places and get good at properly taking off in remote places for filming.

Bob

motobob said:
I flew my first autonomous ground station mission today using GS on my iPhone. Nothing epic... first way point right above me at 120' then another one about 300 yards away in the yard at 130' and then one back by home at 100'. GS worked as advertised...bird was ready to fly with engines off and I closed my eyes and hit the go button!

Engines started, it took off to about 30' or so and then went up to the first way point above my head; stayed here a bit and headed towards 2nd way point. Hovered there and then back to third way point near home and then hovered at home about 100' in the air and I brought it down for hand catch.

I wanted to reset by RTH altitude to 150' from 120' after measuring some trees with my earlier flight so I plugged the bird into the computer and also did the 3.10 upgrade. I noted the app now showed what mode I was flying in and I wanted to make sure the upgrade had not killed the bird so I took off again and it flew fine; no issues.

I am about 10 miles further out from the 25M no fly zone around DC so I wanted to make sure something had messed up that would not allow me to fly on my property. All good. Three successful flights, battery drained to 20%, it is time to declare victory and put it away for the day as it is very cold out there!

With this GS flight, I think I have now successfully tested all of the basic capabilities of the bird so it is time now to venture off the property and see new places and get good at properly taking off in remote places for filming.

Bob

Well done. I haven't tried GS yet, can't imagine how it must feel letting the bird fly itself away.

Cold here too, I popped out for half an hour and did some videoing using home lock, back stick and gentle yaw - very smooth indeed.

RhythMick said:
erikgraham said:

On mine,

S2 (top left) controls IOC - top = off, mid = course lock, bottom = home lock
S1 (top right) controls flight mode - top = GPS, mid = ATTI, bottom = Failsafe

To be in same mode as Phantom mode, I think both S1 and S2 have to be at the top.

I completely agree that Phantom mode is daft. If people can't be arsed to learn about it and check that both switches are up, they shouldn't be flying. I'm going to regret saying that - but you know what I mean.

Not quite. In phantom mode you still have the same options on the S1. So when you turn off IOC (S2 top) you've effectively put your phantom in the same state as Phantom mode.

Sort of continuing to update my firsts here as a new owner...

This week I upgraded to 3.10, then downgraded to 3.8... :) My next goal is I wanted to get above 300' for the first time so I took it up to 328 feet to check out the sunset Sunday night...sure looked small up there! Anyway everything still continues to function as advertised even with the firmware changes up and down. Here is a short clip of the sunset flight over Northern VA:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzLxYoeAcfU[/youtube]

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub