New owner, getting more scared

Reaction score
Hi All:

I bought P2V Dec 24th. I love it. I've since flown to 1000 feet straight up and flown out of WiFi range several times -- each time turning off remote to get into Return to Home mode then taking over flight control with S1 switch when I see the P2V coming back.

I have not connected it to my PC and I dont know what firmware it has but I'm very concerned about flyaway now after reading this forum. I guess I was just lucky before. The box has handwritten "Updated software, 10C Activated". Does anyone know what this means?

What should I do from here to prevent flyaway? What is Naza mode and what is Vision mode and what are their advantages/disadvantages?

Sorry I'm such a n00b, but there isn't one FAQor one source where I can go to read what to do for new owners to maintain the P2V.

Thanks in advance.

I'm there too -- this will be my first RC. I'm much more of the photographer type than I am the RC type and this seemed like a good purchase. I'll be getting mine on Thursday. I'm a little nervous too.

teslaphil said:
Hi All:

I bought P2V Dec 24th. I love it. I've since flown to 1000 feet straight up and flown out of WiFi range several times -- each time turning off remote to get into Return to Home mode then taking over flight control with S1 switch when I see the P2V coming back.

I have not connected it to my PC and I dont know what firmware it has but I'm very concerned about flyaway now after reading this forum. I guess I was just lucky before. The box has handwritten "Updated software, 10C Activated". Does anyone know what this means?

What should I do from here to prevent flyaway? What is Naza mode and what is Vision mode and what are their advantages/disadvantages?

Sorry I'm such a n00b, but there isn't one FAQor one source where I can go to read what to do for new owners to maintain the P2V.

Thanks in advance.

You are a self admitted noob, got a Phantom a couple days ago, already shooting it up 1000 ft, repeatedly turning off the remote hoping it will just return. What could go wrong? One time it may not. How to prevent a flyaway? Start by using it more on the way it was intended, that may help for starters. I am really starting to believe there is no such thing as a mechanical flyaway. :roll:

I'll try to help answer your questions -

I bought mine in December too - the Phantom 2 firmware was at 1.05 and needed an update to 1.08. The remote controller had the latest update already. Can't advise you on the notations on the box, as mine had none. After updating, I almost had a flyaway. It entered return home mode about 200 ft up and 300 ft downrange - think the wind may have caught it, because it looked like it was drifting further downrange. Several cycles of the S1 switch a few seconds apart and I was able to recover control and steer it back to me. A scary moment for sure. Never had this happen on 1.05, but that may be just luck.

When you look thru the manual and install the assistance software, you'll see several notices to not use NAZA mode unless you are very experienced flyer. That's good advice, probably. I've yet to see a post on why some people are flying in this mode and what it really offers you over the Vision mode, other than most opportunities to crash or loose your bird while you are still a noob.

The best thing you can do right now is read the forums and read your manual. The limits on the control transmitter is a theoretical 500 meters in FCC mode - many will tell you the range is a lot less in real terms, depending on conditions. Some are getting limits of around 500 feet. The farthest I've seen is 850 feet out at 150 high - but only in one area - at another location, a lot less.

Note: Technically the FAA limits operation of these types of aircraft to a 400ft ceiling. While I haven't heard of them going after anyone (yet) for violating this, bouncing around uncontrolled at 1000ft is not the way to stay on their good side.

I am a nervous noob myself. I received my PV on Christmas Eve and have not unboxed it yet. However, I already know what I will NOT do! And, that is to fly the PV above 400 ft. Granted, you can get some cool pics from a thousand feet, but if ever there was an incident with a PV interfering or colliding with a piloted aircraft, you can be sure that the FCC and possibly Congress will take quick action enacting new rules and regulations possibly ruining the hobby for the rest of us. Worse, if said interference/collision were to occur, injury or death could be the result for the airborne pilot and passengers.

My 2 cents worth.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20