New Owner - a little bit underwhelmed with image quality

Reaction score
Hi all,

After Umming and Ahhing for sometime I finally took the plunge and ordered a PV2 from DJI direct via Amazon. Whilst I'm very happy with the craft itself, I'm a little bit disappointed in the sharpness I'm getting, in particular on video.

I know the JPEG's it produces are poor and RAW is the way to go and after playing around today with some test shots I'm OK with them if not blown away but the video just seem totally unsharp to my eye but I'd appreciate a few opinions as to whether I'm being fussy or if I've fallen foul of DJI's flaky QC standards on the camera.

EDIT: Well it seems Dropbox didn't like the traffic I generated with this post so I'll have to go the YouTube route after all. Uploading now, I'll post a link when done.

http://youtu.be/tYANFxS7KCc

It's nothing special, literally just me getting to know how she handles on my first days flying in good light today. I used the widest FOV at 1080/60i. It's not the jerkiness, I know the gimbal is poor and Rotorpixel is the way to go but when relatively stationary, it just doesn't seen sharp at all.

I'd appreciate opinions - Is this really the best I can expect ?

Unfortunately that video looks like a bad interlaced up-conversion in my browser, so you are probably better off dumping a copy on Youtube/Vimeo so people can see something without artefacts... :idea:

Looks pretty soft to me.

You can either return it for a replacement or try to refocus it yourself.

You risk voiding the warranty and bricking your camera, but you don't have to wait for a replacement to be mailed. Your choice.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7735

I am not that knowledgeable in relation to this but have read that the difference between 1080p and 1080i is that the interlaced format doesn't handle fast motion too well and is more suited to steady shots, also it depends on where you view your finished production ie on a computer screen or HD TV .

What are you using to edit the footage?
Here are some things that places artifacts on the movie
1. Youtube compression is part of the culprit but not a major offender.
2. If you have to use stabilization,it will make the video smoother, but that it also adds to the pot (sorta speak)
So far what I use is pretty much the default settings for the camera and being mindful of the position of the sun.
I am not by any stretch of the imagination a photographer or a videographer but i've been reading on some forums and video editing pages and applying some of their tips.
I would also suggest as you finances permit get a gimbal. I am not trashing the Rotorpixel gimbal but waiting several months for it, is not my thing, being on back order because Keri made a huge business mistake rushing it to market before having enough stock and charging your credit card immediately rather than when it ships.
another solution to the gimbal is 3D power (http://tarco-rc.com/) I they seem they are the way to go as an option. ordered one on friday it will 7 days to arrive, Not months.

BTW Amazon has the best customer service. Trust me I know.. if you let them know you are having a problem they will offer to refund or replace and will send it overnight at no charge..

This is the thing, I've used nothing at all to edit it, it's the file straight off the memory card onto Youtube.

I'm the type of guy who reads everything about a potential purchase before I buy and as such I've watched loads of other PV2 videos on various hosting sites and they all look far better than what mine has produced looking at the file on my 27" iMac. I'm not out to make commercial videos, I'm just a bit of a gadget freak who likes to play so I'm not expecting GoPro & Zenmuse quality or anything. But I did expect to see *something* sharp when the bird is somewhat stationary and it just isn't.

A gimbal will be on the shopping list at some point no doubt but it's pointless getting that sorted until the source is focussed. I've emailed Amazon UK about a replacement camera and I'll have to see what DJI do about it - if anything ! I'm loathed to return the whole package as I'm more than happy with how she flies.

Thanks all for your comments.

I recommend 1080-30p over 60i but regardless of that and youtube your focus looks bad. How are the stills? I had to send back my camera twice before I got one that was mostly in focus. Still soft in corners and at the right extreme edge. But the other two I had were just garbage.

Since yours appears soft all over vs my first two which were super soft (completely out of focus) on one side or the other. There is a thread on refocussing your camera - might work in your case. But really, out of the box it should look better than that.

Stick with 1080 30p, 60i is worthless in a digital world. Put up some stills. Your lens looks out of focus from that video clip.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.