NEW Out of Box Video/GPS Glitch

Reaction score
I just opened my new +. Conducted all the proper pre-flight tests and checks made sure everything was charged to 100%. Updated the phone app to correct camera not moving within app. That worked.

Tested low level flying at 8-20 feet over grass. Both S1 and S2 toggles in up position. No issues. But when I selected the video camera icon on the phone to test filming, the rear LED lights went to yellow within 3 seconds, then back to green for a few blinks, then back to yellow over and over. Every time it went back to yellow, the bird drifted with the wind until I manually returned it. I also noticed what looked like a very pixelated video and frozen video feed.

Has anyone noticed this on their bird yet? Seems odd that the video on would affect GPS lock.

I have over 34 hours of flight time on my P2V and never had this issue and am very familiar with proper pre-flight checks. If there is a cause and fix, let me know. I'm itchin to get some serious flight and filming time in with the +.

Thanks

QJ

Re: NEW Out of Box Video Glitch

The behavior is puzzling, as the camera control is operating on 2.4 Ghz, while the flight controls are operating on 5.8 Ghz. Nothing you do in the app should affect the Phantom's flight or lights.

Dirty Bird said:
The behavior is puzzling, as the camera control is operating on 2.4 Ghz, while the flight controls are operating on 5.8 Ghz. Nothing you do in the app should affect the Phantom's flight or lights.
Is it possible that the technology that we're using as our fpv monitors (a smartphone) isn't the best thing to be using? I have a Moto X that can connect to 2.4 and 5.8GHz wireless networks, it uses GPS for location, bluetooth plus the cell signal.

With android phones, they are setup by default to find wireless networks that provide internet access. If you're connected to your Phantom and an open wireless network in the area becomes available, it could theoretically dump your connection for the one with internet access. I ran into this when trying to keep a connection with my GoPro cameras in an area where a preferred network or open network with internet access was available.

With all the available 'radios' enabled on your phone, there's bound to be some sort of interference that can add to these issues. I have only had 2 flights, but each time I have enabled airplane mode then toggled the wifi back on (I always have bluetooth off). If you're at or near your home, business or anywhere else that you use wifi, it's probably best to 'forget' those networks prior to connecting to the Phantom.

Just some thoughts. I had a flyaway with my P1 and was terrified. It was pilot error, however, and I was able to recover it. But I do get very nervous that this might happen to me.

Funny but I have had about 5 flights with both the P2V and P2V+ since the new upgrades and app, and find at the start I get frozen video even though I reboot the app and the phone (Android) and then its OK in flight but still have full control of the aircraft whilst its playing up, and thats with 3 different devices.

This is just strange. I am wondering if your phone has dual-band Wi-Fi (2.4 & 5.8) and somehow the phone's 5.8 Ghz Wi-Fi is bleeding over from your camera commands and inducing an output from the transmitter section? There is no reason commands on the 2.4 FPV band should be influencing the 5.8 Ghz control band. I wonder if your phone allows you to selectively disable the 5.8 Ghz Wi-Fi band?

On picking up other networks, I told my phone to forget my home network, and to NOT connect automatically to open networks unless they are paired. The only network I have paired is the Extender. Some have suggested disabling ALL the phone radios except Wi-FI, but I have to tell you I don't do that. I have made many flights with my bluetooth in my ear having an active phone conversation during my flight. (I have an HTC One M7, BTW).

I live in the country so buildings, towers and other potential structures or RF's don't play a part. Never had this particular issue with my P2V either.

Every time I test it, it still drops GPS lock and drifts with the wind. And, calling DJI in California just gets a message and hangs up on you.

Any suggestions?

QJ

Qwadjok said:
I live in the country so buildings, towers and other potential structures or RF's don't play a part. Never had this particular issue with my P2V either.

Every time I test it, it still drops GPS lock and drifts with the wind. And, calling DJI in California just gets a message and hangs up on you.

Any suggestions?

QJ

This could potentially expain many of the flyaway issues people have been reporting, but obviously we need to see if we can narrow down the exact cause while ruling out a specific hadware issue that may be unique to your bird. What device (exactly) are you using to connect?

I am using my Samsung Galaxy S3 the same phone I used on the P2V.

I could not get through to the DJI support line either. I posted a message on their online support but have not yet heard back from them.

As far as I am concerned, my 30 day warranty will start once I have a quad that works. Hopefully its just a setting issue. I thought these were supposed to be pre tested before shipped.

Either way, by posting this out of the box issue here on Phantom Pilots will help get a warranty reactivated for a new 30 days.

QJ

What your experiencing is so odd as to be bizarre. The V2+ flight controls operate at 5.8 Ghz, while the FPV/telemetry operates at 2.4 Ghz. The Vision app is only connecting with the FPV end of things, and should have NO EFFECT on your Phantom's controls or LEDs. This is something you are going to have to discuss with DJI. If you can't get ahold of them, I would be looking to exchange the aircraft as I see no way for this to happen.

DirtyBird

I agree and realize this. Could it be a settings issue?

I am afraid to fly it even to test it. I have tried so many times to contact DJI but their new answering service just plain sucks. No one answers the phone anymore. I even sent in a statement through their online support page and have not heard from anyone. It's like DJI only exists on the web and that as far as they go.

As for the GPS affected while in video mode, that could be only a coinsodence since I have only tested this twice now. The second time I tested it, I did not select the video option and it still would lose the GPS lock and start drifting off. All of this I am testing in a field, away from everything out in the country at 6 to 10 feet off the ground. I can't even get in touch with anyone at DJI to get an RMA return.

Never ran into this glitch on my previous bird the P2V. If it is just a GPS glicth, what could I do to test this or change in settings.

Thanks

QJ

I called DJI right when they opened and got a message like, "we are too busy to take your call right now." I hung up and tried again. Got the same message but after was put into queue at number 11. When you hear the message, stay on the line a bit and see if it puts your through.

Qwadjok said:
DirtyBird

I agree and realize this. Could it be a settings issue?

I am afraid to fly it even to test it. I have tried so many times to contact DJI but their new answering service just plain sucks. No one answers the phone anymore. I even sent in a statement through their online support page and have not heard from anyone. It's like DJI only exists on the web and that as far as they go.

As for the GPS affected while in video mode, that could be only a coinsodence since I have only tested this twice now. The second time I tested it, I did not select the video option and it still would lose the GPS lock and start drifting off. All of this I am testing in a field, away from everything out in the country at 6 to 10 feet off the ground.

Never ran into this glitch on my previous bird the P2V. If it is just a GPS glicth, what could I do to test this or change in settings.

Thanks

QJ

Maybe try this: Turn on the controller, P2V+, the extender, and connect the smartphone. Just let the P2V+ sit on the ground--no props running, and watch the display to see how many gps satellites are being picked up. Do they cycle between >6 and <6? How many are you connected to over time? Do they disappear altogether? That would at least give an indication of how well the gps receiver is working.

It would help in your diagnosis for you to switch to NAZA-M mode. This way you could tell better, using the led indicators, about your GPS status. I also think it is possible you have a intermittently faulty S1. Cause it sounds like it is switching between AttiGPS and Atti mode on its own even with proper number of satellites. I wonder if you could easily swap S1 and S2 by opening the TX. I haven't looked inside if these are connected with plugs or hard soldered. If its easy you could just switch the wires at the switches whereby swapping S1 and S2. S2 in phantom mode does nothing anyways. Then u could at least eliminate the switch as faulty.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20