New or second hand

Reaction score
Hi all I am looking to buy a p4 or p4p just wondered what the pros and cons are for getting a second hand drone or a new one.

Apart from the obvious cheaper and brand new.

Just if it would be recommended to but a second hand drone or not ?

Hi from Liverpool! I'm one of the people who have bought second-hand (only a P1 though!) and have been really lucky with it. The tech onboard a P4 is substantially more complex than my simple P1 so I would only consider buying a second-hand one if it was in immaculate physical condition and preferably be able to see it fly - although this could be pretty difficult. Also I would go for a "stock" example that hasn't been modded as different pilots have varying degrees of competence when it comes to changing things. Just my personal view but there can be significant savings to be made by going down that route. One final thought, ask the seller WHY they are selling? Make sure it's not because of a pre-existing fault. I guess think of it the same way as buying a used car..! Good luck and enjoy it no matter which way you decide to go

Second hand requires that you, or someone available to assist you, has the required familiarity with the AC to make an informed decision about its condition. It's also important to note that DJI warranty is not transferable. If you need or have an expectation of after sales support purchase of a new product from a local business can be an advantage.

Ok thanks
I guess it s a gamble hope that all is ok but if its not could have been cheaper to have bought a new one in the first place ?
I never new that the dji warranty is not transferable that is giving me second thought about buying second hand.
As I know nothing about them.

Hi all I am looking to buy a p4 or p4p just wondered what the pros and cons are for getting a second hand drone or a new one.

Apart from the obvious cheaper and brand new.

Just if it would be recommended to but a second hand drone or not ?
I bought a refurbished phantom 4 from dronenerds for 799.00. Comes with 1 yr warranty. Brand new condition.

I bought a refurbished phantom 4 from dronenerds for 799.00. Comes with 1 yr warranty. Brand new condition.
Hi now that good deal ,,,get all mine from store and they only give a year,,(unused)not to keen on seconds,,might have been somebodys nightmare

Especially if you are new to phantoms, go either new or refurbished. Refurb will save you $$ and if from an authorized dealer or direct from DJI will come with full warranty. They don't put the "buyer beware" warning on the classified thread just for decorations.

Ok thanks
I guess it s a gamble hope that all is ok but if its not could have been cheaper to have bought a new one in the first place ?
I never new that the dji warranty is not transferable that is giving me second thought about buying second hand.
As I know nothing about them.
Your better off with a new bird as your first if that's the case. The choice then is pay a little extra to a local store where you will get good support and advice or go for the cheapest online price you can find and rely on the community here.

I can get a new p4 for £850 from Drones for less they seem the cheapest online.
Has anyone had any dealings good or bad with Drones for less ?
The stores in the UK are a lot more expensive.

I can get a new p4 for £850 from Drones for less they seem the cheapest online.
Has anyone had any dealings good or bad with Drones for less ?
The stores in the UK are a lot more expensive.
Expensive come to new zealand$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$:eek:sorry not mean nothin but very costly here

Meet the seller in a location you are able to test it and check the battery info. I have never had an issue with any used purchases .

Reactions: ScouseMouse
If you get offered a second-hand P4 and CAN see it powered-up (and as a bonus see it fly) you will get a pretty good idea straight away by checking things like the battery charge lights coming on when fully-charged, GPS lock (LED lights) and in general how it looks and flies. As the saying goes "If it looks right, it probably IS right" holds good for the basics. The rest is up to you to decide based on price etc. Just avoid anything that has obviously had a hard life.

Ok thanks for the tip
I have been looking on ebay.
Do they go wrong much, or generally if they look in good condition are they ok if not had lots of use,
it seems funny to me there are quite a lot for sale second hand with low usage

I think you'll find that a lot are bought either as impulse buys or found to be too involved for people who don't understand the intricacies of the P4. Expensive impulse I know!

It sure is thats why I am doing my homework
I am also one of those who does not know the intricacies.
I love the idea of it but not the best with computer like gadgets but I do like a challenge
and do like taking pictures especially of sunrises and sunsets with water involved if possible normally when I go fishing :).

Reactions: ScouseMouse
Well when you get one (not if!) I'm sure you will be blown away. I would strongly recommend that you familiarise yourself with the flight assistant software so that you can re-calibrate things when/if needed. No I. T. degree needed and there's tons of help here and on YouTube.
Also get used to flying it close to you before taking it far away or over water. Learn the basics so that if the technology hiccups you can bring it back and land safely. I feel that many fly-aways and crashes are down to pilots trying to run rather than stroll..!

I get ya its a bit like training a hawk or falcon I did fly them that takes some doing great fun though and you get a real good feeling about it all

I can imagine the dedication that must have taken. The phantom only needs feeding with some electricity and not raw meat thankfully! Keep in touch and enjoy yourself

Thanks well you was right I just got one of ebay second hand it says in the add and the ebayer has very good feedback
it should be a good one

This DJI Phantom 4 Drone is in perfect condition.
It comes with 2 batteries, extra propellers and the Phantom Series Multifunctional Backpack (£190 RRP).
This drone has only been flown a handful of times.
Happy Bidding :)

Reactions: andyimages

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31