New no fly zones

Reaction score
Apparently there will be new "yellow" no fly zones in coming releases and you must request from DJI the removal of those zones. Is anyone here familiar with this and what this is? When I look at the map my town is square in the middle of a yellow zone for no real reason I can determine.

DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography

Who knows about this?

I'd say just about all the regulars on this site have heard this news. It's DJI's effort to abide by what the FAA wants while not over-restricting pilots of DJI aircraft.

Reactions: JBG
So the software will restrict flying in the Red and Yellow areas then and you can request to have access to the yellow area through DJI, is that correct??

My understanding is your DJI aircraft is programmed not to fly in the red zones at all. When the GPS senses it is in a yellow zone, it also will not fly, but you can over-ride it by "self-certifying" your aircraft. It's not something you will have to request.

The green zones, as far as I know, are new. I think it's more or less provided as a service for UAV pilots.

Apparently there will be new "yellow" no fly zones in coming releases and you must request from DJI the removal of those zones. Is anyone here familiar with this and what this is? When I look at the map my town is square in the middle of a yellow zone for no real reason I can determine.

DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography

Who knows about this?
What town is your town so we can take a look to see why it is in a yellow zone? Most of the large non-circular areas that I've seen are MOAs (Military Operations Areas).

Last edited:
Its going to be messy at first. I'm not apart of the beta testers but I can see where DJI is going with this.

Everyone will need to pre-pre-plan their next flight. No more rocking up to a random site and immediately taking off. Unlocking and certifying will take a few minutes so you will need to add it to your pre-pre-preflight checks. This will be a problem if you have a wifi only device. This means you will need to pre-cache the map and certify beforehand. The issued certificate will last for 3 days and your details maybe recorded.

Its going to be messy at first. I'm not apart of the beta testers but I can see where DJI is going with this.

Everyone will need to pre-pre-plan their next flight. No more rocking up to a random site and immediately taking off. Unlocking and certifying will take a few minutes so you will need to add it to your pre-pre-preflight checks. This will be a problem if you have a wifi only device. This means you will need to pre-cache the map and certify beforehand. The issued certificate will last for 3 days and your details maybe recorded.
It sounds like version 1.6 is the last upgrade many might load in their bird because of this.

Reactions: aka1ceman
It sounds like version 1.6 is the last upgrade many might load in their bird because of this.
I stopped at 1.4. I'm curios if there are traces of it in 1.5?

Reactions: aka1ceman
I stopped at 1.4. I'm curios if there are traces of it in 1.5?
I don't know I'm at 1.4 also. From what I've read, none of the new geofencing updates are in 1.5 or 1.6. There are some tweaks to avoid battery shutdown in 1.6 where some P3s were falling from the sky.

Looking at green zones in my area.... If I go to sat view they are all private airstrips, wilderness airstrips, and emergency helipads. VERY handy to have those highlighted! At the least now you can be aware to look and listen for local air traffic!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Looking at green zones in my area.... If I go to sat view they are all private airstrips, wilderness airstrips, and emergency helipads. VERY handy to have those highlighted! At the least now you can be aware to look and listen for local air traffic!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
I got no green zones :(.
We got restricted zones even where there is no permanent population - the TASMAN sea.
DJI%20GEO%20Fence.bmp

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20