New Mythbusters.

N017RW

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Gotta admit I’m very skeptical.
Having not watched the earlier try-out shows I am not able to speak about the new hosts, Brian & Jon,

But it would seem tough to equal the success of Adam & Jamie.

Saw and met them a couple of times at their traveling show and they were very gracious.

Maybe I secretly (not anymore) hope it won’t be as good but having said that I’ll give it a shot.

Anyone else have thoughts about the re-boot?

I find that when a remake of a show or movie comes out it's never as good. They always seem to ruin the show. People think that a show was popular so they do a remake, and it's not even half as good.

I'm willing to bet it wont be HALF as popular and not even HALF as good.

Reactions: N017RW
Well I just had a look at the trailer prior to the new series being released and it looks pretty ordinary. Seems they have upped the animation of the new hosts and coupled them with the usual explosions whereas in the past Adam and Jamie would let the various experiments do the talking. Didn't work with Top Gear being re booted and I don't think it will work with this one. I'll look for the DVDs in the $2 shop...

Reactions: N017RW
I'll miss the original team. They were really great together.

Reactions: UpLift Aerial
You could tell by the ads for the earlier new Myth Busters that they were looking for hosts that were more effusive and kinetic -- ie, showmen. Honestly, Hollywood just doesn't understand the shows they produce and fixate on concepts that may work someplace but not everywhere. In summary, I don't hold out much hope for whatever they come up with. Adam and Jamie were, apparently, not real close friends at the best of times so I guess the show was doomed to a limited run no matter what. They were two very different people.

Brian

They are/were not social, true. Friends???
No tension was evident to me.

Limited run?, 15 years is quite an achievement given the available media choices today, with streaming, YouTube channels, etc.

It even survived format changes and the addition of 3 very good co-hosts.

They are/were not social, true. Friends???
No tension was evident to me.

Limited run?, 15 years is quite an achievement given the available media choices today, with streaming, YouTube channels, etc.

It even survived format changes and the addition of 3 very good co-hosts.

Well yes, 15 years is pretty good but the show is still on while they are not!

Brian

You mean re-runs?

We’ll see how 2.0 goes but I doubt it will be as good. I suspect over compensation will be obvious.

They are redoing the show with two new hosts Jon and Brian so Adam and Jamie are gone. I liked the original series and didn't mind when they added the other three hosts but this new series as well as the interim one they had a while back looks like they are placing greater emphasis on big personality and lessor emphasis on technical merit. I'll keep my fingers crossed that they don't go as far that way as it appears but I wont be holding my breath.

Brian

Well yes, 15 years is pretty good but the show is still on while they are not!

Brian

What I'm guessing is that after 15 years of a show based on something finite, a pool of myths, they were simply starting to run out of material. While the hosts might not have been close friends in private they still made a very good team. The on screen chemistry between them was spot on, as was the case with the three co-hosts.
Could it not be that they just decided to call it a day while still ahead? Something Hollywood could do very well in learning!

Agreed with last question.
I can’t speak of the TV show but Jamie was not interested in doing the ‘traveling show’ anymore. It’s most likely they were tired.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20