New Motors, New Props, New Flight Times

Reaction score
A week ago or so, one my motors started to make too much noise, I could not get my bearings out, so I ordered T-Motors. And Vision Props (clones)

Today they finally arrived, and even my hobby king order arrived (batteries) after a month and a bit

While I was busy putting everything together I did some flight tests.

First flight the Phantom was "naked" AUW 853 grams, and did 13 minutes. Stock Battery

The "new" Phantom was a bit nervous the first flight, so I lowered the attitude gains a bit. (Was windy too)

I installed the stuff to mount two batteries and the Phantom did 18 minutes with two 2200mah Compact Zippy's.

During the 2 battery flight I learned that even if a battery decides to leave its "mount" and just hangs at a wire on the Phantom, everything keeps flying. :oops: Extra Velcro added.

Just before dark I Installed the Goodluckbuy gimbal with Hero3+ (on its own battery) and the 600mw fatshark.

Prepared to land not too long after take off with 1400 grams AUW to my surprise I got 10 whole minutes of flight with two batteries.

Just did a slow flight. Phantom "feels" quite different with 1400 grams, but gee, 10 minutes with T-motors, Vision Props and Gimbal ? I has a happy!

Only one thing, one of the motors starts notably slower as the others. After spin up everything is fine, but it worries me a bit.... :roll:

Now waiting for new landing gear and the Arris CM3000. Momentarily its held up by customs in a city 1200 km from my home. FIddle a bit more with the gains when there is no wind, and I got what precisely what I want, I can get doing what I want with the thing. (if this bloody motor doesn't give more problems and fly aways keep happening to the others)

10 minutes. Wow. Lets make it 9 with the Arris. Good too :D

(O, I have a Phantom 1.2)

Nice! It's hard to scratch the upgrade itch, isn't it?

What's the weight difference between the GLB gimbal and the CM3000? That, plus the weight difference in the extended landing gear you need will determine the flight time differences, but note that at 1400g, going up 50g will be similar to going from 1000g to 1200g. The t-motors can probably handle the extra stress, but flight characteristic differences will be exacerbated and you're getting closer to the point where you can't maintain hover. Some people seem to be flying fine with 1500g, some people can't get off the ground with that.

ElGuano said:
Nice! It's hard to scratch the upgrade itch, isn't it?

What's the weight difference between the GLB gimbal and the CM3000? That, plus the weight difference in the extended landing gear you need will determine the flight time differences, but note that at 1400g, going up 50g will be similar to going from 1000g to 1200g. The t-motors can probably handle the extra stress, but flight characteristic differences will be exacerbated and you're getting closer to the point where you can't maintain hover. Some people seem to be flying fine with 1500g, some people can't get off the ground with that.

The one time I tried to push my Phantom that hard (close to 1500g AUW), two of my ESC's got hot enough to start to melt the insulation on the wires to the motor (which of course rest right on the board). It seemed to be flying fine at the time (just sluggish and obviously heavy), I didn't notice the effect till I opened it up afterwards.

We will see. I have several landing gears on the way, including the Arris one. (Since I live 3-4 weeks from any store, I make choices at home :cool: )

It was also my first video with the GoPro, and I am impressed, always thought the mobius would be good enough. Even with yet to be balanced eBay Vision props it looked super smooth at 1080p 60fps. Tmotors help as well I guess. However it was close to sunset, will need to see if things stay jello free in full sunlight. Already "crafted" a ND 8 25mm for the Gopro, in case.

Yes the upgrade itch. Well as soon as things work as they should work, I hope I can stick to charging batteries and editing movies :cool:

Learning about flying a "movie machine" got me passing very dangerous subjects however. Flying those small fast FPV H quads, (want want) and ultra long range FPV copters. (want want).

I dream about taking off in front of my house, go back in and sit in front of the TV with my controller, fly to the pizzeria 9km down the road give them a call and tell them to slide the pizza in the tray below the copter and fly back. It's possible with today's technology.

But first, have this Phantom complete and running. :cool:

OI Photography said:
The one time I tried to push my Phantom that hard (close to 1500g AUW), two of my ESC's got hot enough to start to melt the insulation on the wires to the motor (which of course rest right on the board). It seemed to be flying fine at the time (just sluggish and obviously heavy), I didn't notice the effect till I opened it up afterwards.

OMG. Would thicker wires work? Other ESC's?

Batteries are cooler after flight, so that is an advantage :p

Well, it seems I am out of luck again :(

The one motor stuttering has become worse. Some internet searching gave as result, motor out of phase; maybe cold soldering point, esc, bad motor.

While it flies, I read that motor may fail in flight. - > Grounded.

Ton4 said:

The one motor stuttering has become worse. Some internet searching gave as result, motor out of phase; maybe cold soldering point, esc, bad motor.

I would suspect a bad ESC - rarely if ever do you see a bad T motor

Ton4 said:

You may have something stuck in the motor (like the retaining clip). Easy to disassemble and inspect.

Well, opened it up, resoldered.

After first start, stutter. Shut down. Start again, less stutter. After a few starts, stutter gone.

Assembled again. Start up, stutter.

Frickin ****.

So, its not a retainer.

Can check if its the esc by moving motors around. Later. Need sleep.

But before sleep, ordered 4 esc. Ready Made RC. They ship pretty fast.

I will post a video of the stutter later...

Just wonna fly :roll:

Yes I did, first two flights, and that now 30 something flights later.

Are you thinking about size of the screws? They are all the same now.

The Stutter Movie:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0On6OEL1tuM[/youtube]

As you can see, (and hear) after a few tries, it starts normal.

You could've tested ESCs by switching cables at NAZA...

Glad you found the source of your dilemma...ESCs can be pretty fragile

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1