New motherboard ... and P3A won't stop beeping

Reaction score
I posted several weeks ago about diagnosing an ESC issue after a crash I had. I eventually came to the conclusion that it was indeed an ESC error and I eventually found a new main board in South Africa that I had couriered to me in Swaziland.

I have replaced the main board and actually installed 3 new motors at the same time.
Now everything "seems" to be working correctly except I can't get the initial startup "beeping" to stop and the motors never turn, even on startup like they normally did.

Any ideas on what the issue could be? All the LEDs work fine, the camera works, and the GPS locks in fine. I even get the front solid red LEDs and the flashing green LEDs in the back - which I believe it the right status that everything is okay. The status on my iPhone says everything is good and ready to go. I originally tried it with the old firmware and then upgraded to the new firmware. The update went fine and all indicators say I'm upgraded. I've double-checked my solder joints and they all seem good as well.

Thoughts?

I did read on here the other day that the new style motors need different ESCs and thus different board.

True. There are new boards for the new motors.

And I have the older motors ... but ordered the older motherboard. The board looked exactly the same as the one I replaced ... does anybody know if the new board looks any different? I assume they sent me the correct board - and they definitely knew I was ordering the older board.

One piece of additional information - if I try to start the motors (even with the beeping happening) I get an error message saying unknown error with an error code of 45.

ESC's and each ESC Board do need to match. Each board will beep if something is not right with it. When 1st powering up we hear 4 beeps. That is each board sounding off to say it passed it's pre-flight diagnostic test.

One piece of additional information - if I try to start the motors (even with the beeping happening) I get an error message saying unknown error with an error code of 45.
Perhaps check to see if you have securely plugged in the GPS module when you put the shell cover back on. It means taking it off again which is a pain, but I think I read somewhere that error 45 is GPS related. Search on that error code before opening up your Phantom again since removing the shell cover is so hard to do.

Perhaps check to see if you have securely plugged in the GPS module when you put the shell cover back on. It means taking it off again which is a pain, but I think I read somewhere that error 45 is GPS related. Search on that error code before opening up your Phantom again since removing the shell cover is so hard to do.
@Mark Klee - I just saw that you noted GPS locks on fine. Didn't catch that earlier, sorry. Sounds like you do have the GPS connected.

Yeah, GPS works fine. I've stopped plugging/unplugging the GPS to test b/c of fear of damaging the plug. I changed the mode to non-GPS mode so I no longer have to put the top on. This may explain the error 45 issue that I hadn't seen previously.

One of your motors connected backwards or crossed?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

I've read that you need to sand off some coating that new motors have on there solder points before soldering them onto the board. Did you do this?

Yes, I did on the one motor that had been used previously. However, the new motors that I installed came with the ends already tinned, so I assumed they were ready to be soldered. I can't believe they'd ship motors with the leads tinned that weren't ready to be soldered?!!?!

Yes, I did on the one motor that had been used previously. However, the new motors that I installed came with the ends already tinned, so I assumed they were ready to be soldered. I can't believe they'd ship motors with the leads tinned that weren't ready to be soldered?!!?!
Yeah it's my understanding the new ones needed sanding. May also want to just replace the last old motor for good measure.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl