New Member with P4

Reaction score
Hi all I have had my phantom 4 for a little better then a month, and I am happy with it, I love its abilities and features. I am a member of there forums, and must say I am not as happy with firmware or help. I am not bashing anyone or thing, but I do not find I can get the help or answers to help better my enjoyment there, and decided to try some where else. From what I have read there seems to be a lot of issues with the new firmware, and wonder why they cant make a better App for a sturdy Machine. I love my P4 and when I got it I was impressed with its stablity, but after a few updates it drifts more and changes altitude on its own, which I have learned to deal with, my other drone was all over the place, so this is still very easy to fly. When asking ? there it was repetitve answers, which included sending it back for service or repair. Many suggest downgrading firmware and it gets back to a stable flying.

Basically I am looking for a second opinion, as I have done the calbrations ( IMU, sensors, compass, gimbal) with this firmware, and I think each time makes it worse, not better, and I am wondering if I am beating a dead horse, can this bird be stable with this firmware, or should I downgrade?

again, I am not looking to bash or upset, just get a little better advice/ informed

thanx in advance

Heebus

It's wrong to say that each problem faced by us is related to SW problem. Many times we make mistakes and it's easy to blame FW as there is no one to defend it. I'm not saying there are no issues, in fact there are multiple. That's why if we are happy with the one what we have installed right now , don't jump to the next just because that's the latest. If you are crazy like me then yes go ahead and update but be ready to analyze what went wrong. Fortunately for me, all updates went smoothly so far and never faced installation issues. DJI go App has become complex as it has to deal with so many versions and types of drones. It's high time DJI think separating out old with the new to reduce number of variants

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
Agreed, I believe I do the same, I update when there is new software, even tho I believe the if it isnt broke dont fix it. I have read many post stating as much, I think I will down grade to see if I get back my stability. I too thought my upgrades went smooth, until I tested in the air. If my statement fully blamed software I apoligize, that wasnt my intent, as being new it could be me, I am getting nowhere on the other site, they ask for flight records, which also incorrect, its states I flown 2 birds, I have only owned 1 P4, they also state my top altitude was 1.5 feet up, I have been over 650 feet up, in short most records are inacturate, and I dont see how they can help tell whats wrong with my bird... after all the its the firmwares fault threads I have read, I guess I began to believe it, so I came here for a second opinion

It's odd that your flight records are inaccurate. I've never heard anyone complain about that before. I highly recommend you address that with DJI immediately because it's very bizarre. Their turn around times are pretty good now, usually less than a week, not counting shipping time. Have you tried loading your flight data into Healthy Drones to see what it says?

As for the yoyo effect you're experiencing with P4 (6 to 8' down and up), get use to it. I've accepted this as a standard feature. I think almost everyone has this anomaly where you're buzzing along 50' to 100' high at ~25mph, then when you stop, by not touching a stick, it doesn't maintain it's altitude. The craft descends about 8' and then ascends back up 8'. It doesn't do it every time, but most of the time.

I think this yoyo effect is a mechanical design issue, or a barometer issue, otherwise they would have fixed it in firmware by now. Mine has done this from the "get go", March 19th. DJI has exchanged my P4 and given me a new craft. The new one does the exact same thing.

Hi all I have had my phantom 4 for a little better then a month, and I am happy with it, I love its abilities and features. I am a member of there forums, and must say I am not as happy with firmware or help. I am not bashing anyone or thing, but I do not find I can get the help or answers to help better my enjoyment there, and decided to try some where else. From what I have read there seems to be a lot of issues with the new firmware, and wonder why they cant make a better App for a sturdy Machine. I love my P4 and when I got it I was impressed with its stablity, but after a few updates it drifts more and changes altitude on its own, which I have learned to deal with, my other drone was all over the place, so this is still very easy to fly. When asking ? there it was repetitve answers, which included sending it back for service or repair. Many suggest downgrading firmware and it gets back to a stable flying.

Basically I am looking for a second opinion, as I have done the calbrations ( IMU, sensors, compass, gimbal) with this firmware, and I think each time makes it worse, not better, and I am wondering if I am beating a dead horse, can this bird be stable with this firmware, or should I downgrade?

again, I am not looking to bash or upset, just get a little better advice/ informed

thanx in advance

Heebus
I would try a "Cold" IMU calibration . I was having a few issues and that straightened things out. A cold IMU calibration is just make sure your in a cool environment and your quad and battery are cool. I put mine next to a air conditioner for a few seconds and cool the inside of the P4 off . Make sure your craft is level ( use a level) and see if that helps.
1 more thing , is there magnetic interference in your area ? I know when I tried to take off from the top of my building I was getting that and my bird was very unstable.

Thank you both for your replies, and yes I have done a cold calibration, and I fly from an opened field most times...
Yesterday I went out 3 times cycling all 3 of my batteries, what I found was after 10-15 minutes of flight of first battery she rises/falls then it stabilizes for the rest of that battery and my next 2. all 3 times I flew was identical place, a near conditions, with same results, its almost like my P4 has to warm up, then she is solid.

all in all I love this drone and happy with my purchase, these minor things are easy to cope with...

as for the flight records, Idk how these can help dji determine anything from my drone being so innaccurate, and I dont wanna send it back to lose it for a few weeks in prime flying season.... maybe when winter hits and I cant fly

thanx all

ok, so to clarify my flight records problems are as follows:

I have flight records for 2 birds, but I only own 1 P4
it says my top altitude is 1.5 feet, but I have flown just over 650 feet more then once
my fatharest distance flown 10009 feet, but I havent gone out past 2500 feet yet
top speed of 33 miles an hour, and I have flown in sport mode, not sure exact speed cuz I only glimps down, but it was low 40's miles an hour
looking @ individual flights I see top altitudes of 150 feet
many of my flights say they were 1 minute long exactly 1 minute, I have always flown battery too 15% battery or less every time I fly, never just 1 minute

I will look closer to see if I can identify any other annomolies, but these are what I notice on first galnce

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr