New member looking to get more range

Reaction score
I'm quiet new to quads and fpv as I have been flying helis for about 10 years in the uk but thought I'd try quads and I love them.
I bought my phantom v2+ about 4 months ago and have done about 20 flights with it but only close flying as it looses video feed and goes out of range.
I have just hooked it up to the PC to change settings and try and get more range and feed as I also want do fpv.
I've read on here that the fpv booster works for extended range.
I want to leave it stock, so what can I do to get good range and video feed

Thanks in advance

Hi cahutch
Thanks for replying
Without changing to FCC mode and changing nothing in the software I'm getting about 300 meters then it says out of range but I'm assuming that's because of the software settings

Look in the app store or playstore for wifi booster apps to increase your Phantom's wifi output.... then if you want more there are add on antennas you can add if you have basic skills in doing a few modifications... FPVLR is a big presence in this forum with add on antennas ... His thread is always on the front page... and FPV booster for wifi boost or Vision Plus Utility Pro app for a few more options and tweaks along with boost.

Phanton v2+ newbie said:
Many thanks DBS. What sort of range can I expect with these 2 apps on range and video feed
Thanks

It can be very difficult to give someone accurate range estimates, since we all fly in different altitudes and different environments. I can just say that before the booster I was getting about 8-900 feet in a dense urban environment (albeit a park). I then started using the booster, and got about 1300 feet away. After upgrading my antennas on FPVLR.com (and using the booster app), I am up to about 2-3000 feet in that same environment. You may be in more of a rural area, or a flat area, if so, you can expect greater distance.

Thanks side box.
What antenna upgrades did you use for that.
Is it possible to use goggles for fpv with the plus, I'm using iPhone/iPad
Thanks

I will just tag along as I am looking for similar solution if the original poster won't mind, im not trying to hijack his post.

sidebox said:
Phanton v2+ newbie said:
Many thanks DBS. What sort of range can I expect with these 2 apps on range and video feed
Thanks

It can be very difficult to give someone accurate range estimates, since we all fly in different altitudes and different environments. I can just say that before the booster I was getting about 8-900 feet in a dense urban environment (albeit a park). I then started using the booster, and got about 1300 feet away. After upgrading my antennas on FPVLR.com (and using the booster app), I am up to about 2-3000 feet in that same environment. You may be in more of a rural area, or a flat area, if so, you can expect greater distance.

May I ask will humidity affect the range on the 5.8 or 2.4 transmitter signal? I was googling about this and some said it will have effect, tough not much, by about 5%? I am quite surprised by the limits on my range was the radio one but not the wifi (i have the booster enabled), capped to 400m direct distance... only could think of the difference between you guys and mine was the location where the humidity was around 90~95%... but that doesn't really make sense, since on of the booster app's author live in place similar to where i live with range a lot longer.... :?: :?:

chluk2425 said:
May I ask will humidity affect the range on the 5.8 or 2.4 transmitter signal? I was googling about this and some said it will have effect, tough not much, by about 5%? I am quite surprised by the limits on my range was the radio one but not the wifi (i have the booster enabled), capped to 400m direct distance... only could think of the difference between you guys and mine was the location where the humidity was around 90~95%... but that doesn't really make sense, since on of the booster app's author live in place similar to where i live with range a lot longer.... :?: :?:

Just think of a microwave oven... it puts out a wave at 2.4Ghz to excite the molecules in a given substance... by generating heat the wave transfers some of it's power into the substance...

So anything you commonly know that will heat up in a microwave oven will have an effect on your signal... like water.... or vapor... Because it absorbs some of the wave as it excites the molecules ...

Long wet grass in the area is a friggin bummer too :ugeek:

DBS said:
chluk2425 said:

Just think of a microwave oven... it puts out a wave at 2.4Ghz to excite the molecules in a given substance... by generating heat the wave transfers some of it's power into the substance...

So anything you commonly know that will heat up in a microwave oven will have an effect on your signal... like water.... or vapor... Because it absorbs some of the wave as it excites the molecules ...

Long wet grass in the area is a friggin bummer too :ugeek:

so that means there will have effect on it... :| argh, hate living in such humid area... but is that lost of power that huge... I know there's no rule of thumb for it, so much factor affecting each other.. maybe i really should try the coke can disk method... :?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj