New member. First distance try. HD results inside. Help needed...

Reaction score
Hi all! Some great people here!

Been reading posts for a few weeks now but I need help understanding this flight. Video is of complete flight and the DH posts below are ALL from the same single flight. I accidentally hit ? ati mode but that was early in the flight and well before loosing control @ 1900ft.

I went out expecting 0 issues but lost signal. Which one I don't know; but then it kept asking me to return home or cancel. Must have asked 5 to 8 times. I selected RTH each time. I rotated the orientation looking for Video reference because I couldn't see it's direction, so that was me. Sorry I didn't look at signal strength:(

It returned home but on my Android I have many short videos while on the card it is one complete video.

Anyway I welcome opinions and analyzing of these records. Great site! I have learned a lot and more every day!!!

Latest versions because I turned off "auto update" too late....P3S App: 2.8.1 Bird: 1.6.8 Nexus 7 2nd

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
We're you switching it into ATTI with the right toggle switch? Also, were you standing under the P3S while in flight? Your HD log shows several signal losses. Have you tried calibrating everything again? Has this ever been an issue before?

We're you switching it into ATTI with the right toggle switch? Also, were you standing under the P3S while in flight? Your HD log shows several signal losses. Have you tried calibrating everything again? Has this ever been an issue before?
I accidentally switched into ATTI with the right switch and immediately switched back to gps. It happened about 1/3rd of the way into the flight so it was well out in front of me.

I don't understand why there were so many signal loses that created multiple logs. This was my first flight in "open space". I haven't re-calibrated anything since. I did fly from my normal location, only H: 200ft and Distance of 700ft, without any noticeable difference.

I live in a canyon so I need to get to 100ft or so and wait for GPS lock. Then I fly out between trees to a distance of 700ft. Never lost video before.

Guess I need to re-fly the same flight and pay more attention to signal strength and maybe do a screen record. It seemed like simple A to B course with the only difficulty I foresaw was flying sideways to get the view I wanted....

Thanks for your response! Glenn

I use Apple devices and they record the flight and you can play it back and even see the stick movements made. I assume the Android devices do this also.

I use Apple devices and they record the flight and you can play it back and even see the stick movements made. I assume the Android devices do this also.
I'll try. It looks like it recorded in DJI go "flight records" but they are broken into many parts. I will try to stitch them together.... It does show stick movements. A re-flight with the screen recorder on will probably show more. Might take awhile.

Last edited:
Android has screen recorders available. Maybe install one and record the screen for good measure.
I would also recommend you do a complete calibration, IMU, compass...

Will do! Tomorrow when I go to town. I always do a compass before each flight....

Your flight log is recorded on your mobile device, so when you loose video and telemetry this is normal, flight logs and videos will be chopped up. When you play back your flight on an android there is an icon that will show your stick movements.

Pressing the RTH on the app may actually have been working, but without telemetry the app doesn't know if the RTH is actually happening, I flip the Left switch up down 3 times. then I know the remote should have sent the RTH command. The app still may not know that the unit is in RTH.

Here is a couple I have posted in.

Lost signal (but not really)

Question about Radio, uplink, downlink, frequency, & telemetry

Have Fun..
Rod

@LuvMyTJ I could only calibrate the compass because the IMU stated "Normal"
@RodPad Thanks for that!

I think I understand what triggered the signal loss; radio signals. The "Beach Police" were directly under me when it happened. You can see them in the video. They were probably in contact with their base; unrelated to me. Anyway...

I flew the same route again this morning. Got 3,060ft one way! The only difference was I flew straight away from me instead of sideways. I got a few notifications of weak signal which I ignored. Then I flew in the opposite way, out over the water, and had the same result; 2820ft.

I don't think that is too bad for distance?

Here's the HD result for the repeat flight: Link to HD

Yes, to me if a standard is working correctly in clear air. If you can see it, it should see you. I can usually see it until RTH. It like as soon as look at the app / mobile that I lost signal. I can't see the bird any more. Then I can hear it before I see it on return, I guess the same as any Helicopter.

Your flight log is recorded on your mobile device, so when you loose video and telemetry this is normal, flight logs and videos will be chopped up. When you play back your flight on an android there is an icon that will show your stick movements.

Pressing the RTH on the app may actually have been working, but without telemetry the app doesn't know if the RTH is actually happening, I flip the Left switch up down 3 times. then I know the remote should have sent the RTH command. The app still may not know that the unit is in RTH.

Here is a couple I have posted in.

Lost signal (but not really)

Question about Radio, uplink, downlink, frequency, & telemetry

Have Fun..
Rod
So when I am flying my standard and it has some connection issues about 12k out...it is normal for it to start another flight log? Is there any log on the drone that would be undisturbed?

Yes, I think what you would be looking for is you hook your pc to the phantom usb port below the name plate. Download that data, the files are large but there is only like a few flights say 10. I will post some links if I can stay awake long enough.

Need to crash..
@msingers
DJI Phantom Accessories & Tips - Phantom Help
Look for software
Night.....

Last edited:
So when I am flying my standard and it has some connection issues about 12k out...it is normal for it to start another flight log? Is there any log on the drone that would be undisturbed?
Here is a link that will explain some of what you are looking for. How to connect to your on-board flight logs
Fly***.DAT files.

I haven't deciphered mine yet but am doing that next myself.... Fingers crossed!

The best you end up with is this. I'm not impressed.... I even downloaded and installed the *.cvs reader. It really only gives you a bunch of numbers. I'll post these pics and then edit and upload the reader results pic.
Google pic.JPG

Altitude & Velocity.JPG

Viewer.JPG

Last edited:
@RodPad I plug my phantom in through the front usb to my computer... and the updating/downgading beeps start to happen.... Tablet doesnt show any update or downgrading happening.... ever hear of this happening?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj