New member check in

Reaction score
Hi all,

I got my phantom at christmas time but did not fly it yet due to post surgery recovery /more on this later/.

It is P2 non vision the latest /v3 with new remote/.

I am reading the forum like I am getting ready for finals.

I might be able to go out and fly in next couple of weeks :)

In general I don't have problem with flying, I have problem landing.

Almost never flyed a nultirotor. I had some attempts with no so advanced quad 4 years ago but it was wrecked at landing.

Last two landing attempts in general /not RC/ turned out not so good to me - first was me flying off my jetski with 60 mph and brocke my shoulder joint ball / 2 fractures /. The second landing 3 months later when I was skydiving I smashed my ankle due landng accident / 3 fractures, surgery, 10 screws and plate/ but I started to walk again so hand catching is my only option ti save the phantom.

Wish me luck with my future landings /and flyings/ ;)

Thanks and be safe!

Good luck, as for landing, bring it to yourself, about head height. Slowly back up towards you then reach out and grab one of the skids then throttle off..... its a hand catch and easy to do. Once you have flown a few times then you can worry about actually landing it.
Take your time and happy flying!

I don't fly mine back to me but let it hover steady a few feet in front of me with the props over head high then walk up to it and get it .
Just my habit and that works for me .
And welcome to the forum :D

Well, take your time with the landings. If you get rattled a little let go of the sticks. If you really get rattled "GO UP". Good luck! :D

dirkclod said:
I don't fly mine back to me but let it hover steady a few feet in front of me with the props over head high then walk up to it and get it .

Yep, I do the same.

**** Stan! The good news is if you crash the quad you won't go to the hospital. :)

Of course, YMMV. Good luck with it. :D

And welcome. Lots of good info here, and a few characters too.

Marlin009 said:
dirkclod said:

Yep, I do the same.

**** Stan! The good news is if you crash the quad you won't go to the hospital. :)

You Referring to me Dude ;)

Attachments

• Want some.jpg
    Want some.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 376
The Phantom should be a lot easier to land if you have not flown one with GPS. GPS allows it to auto hover so all you have to do is descend slowly, you dont have to worry about holding elevation. I have been hand catching lately too. Make sure you grab the skid close to the edge without antenna or compass.

The Phantom is easy to land, especially when the wind is low (under 10kts). The easiest way to land in low wind is just pull the throttle down into its lock. Your Phantom won't land gently, but it's not a bad landing. Its inertial system generally keeps it reasonably steady - without that, it would be difficult to land.

dirkclod said:
Marlin009 said:
dirkclod said:

Yep, I do the same.

You Referring to me Dude ;)

Absolutely. :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 415
Thanks for the advise and encourage!

I am stupid but brave and no injury will set me away from having fun :)

Jokes aside- I am responsible and realistic type and I am not doing stupid things /yes, jumping out of perfectly working airplane is not stupid!/.

The landing problem is what keeps me away from getting private pilot license but this is next in the pipe line for me.

I am very excited to fly the phantom and will try hard to learn to fly it good.

I purchased the phantom 100% for fun. The images and videos I watched are sweet but this is not why I got it. I have zenmouse and gopro and they will be attached at some point to the quad but again for fun.

Well fun you will have stan !! Fly safe and if ya have any problems just ask as there are a lot of folks here that will fix ya right up !!

First, Welcome to The Forum, Stan! We are glad to have you! Also, I feel your pain! So many surgeries, three on my spine, while needing more, plus so many other surgeries.

More: 9 broken ribs, 2 fractured vertebras, compound fracture of my left clavicle. They don't operate for that, "down here." Broken left wrist, the worst broken left ring ring finger the doctor had seen. I heard him pull my file, with X-Rays, from the holder outside the exam room.

I heard: "Oh my God!!" But I already knew it was bad. Actually, instead of the worst broken ring finger, it was the worst broken finger he had soon. I regained that status with my right foot, the Doc said: "I believe you did the worst possible thing you could do to your foot." The MRI showed 3 compound fractures, 3 dislocated bones and a completely severed ligament. Strangely, he didn't operate, so my foot didn't grow back right.

Neither did my left ring finger. So, that is why I've never married! :)

And, you started this! Never get an ole fart a chance to talk about their medical problems!

Edit: I forgot about MY Sky Diving accident! My girlfriend dumped me, over the phone, on a Saturday night. The next day, my Dad (a sky diving instructor) asked me if I wanted to jump. I said that I didn't feel in the mood. I later thought: "What the heck?!"

So, I showed up at the DZ. A Hop and Pop (3,500') cost $2.50. I paid more as it was my 20th jump and I was at 15 second free falls. (Although Dad and I jumped out at 12,500' for a 60 second free fall. Look at your watch and imagine going 125mph for most of that time! It was fantastic!)

I had a problem with stability. I might do rolls, flat spins, etc., until I was at terminal velocity, then I was fine. So, Dad suggested instead of standing on the metal step and holding onto a strut, to just dive out towards the rear of the plane. For some reason, that scared me. He then suggested looking up, at the plane, to better arch my back. I told him that I couldn't do that. It also scared me!

At the last minute, while on the step and holding onto the strut, I decided to look up. Then, I knew something went wrong and I needed to pull the ripcord. The next thing I knew, was being awakened by the opening shock. I looked up to see a perfect parachute. I noticed blood all over my reserve chute and dials.

I then reached up to feel inside of my mouth. As I opened my mouth, a front, upper tooth fell from 3,500.' So, somehow I did make a 15 second free fall. I have no memory of any of it. Then, while feeling where teeth used to be, I swallowed a tooth. The third went into my nasal airways.

All of the surrounding tissue, for my front teeth were pulverized. I was 18, in my first year at college and I was SO painfully shy and a virgin! This was more than I could handle, so I reached up with one hand, to cut away from the parachute. (TU7)
At the last moment, the will to live kicked in. I decided I could give the dentist a chance and if I wasn't pleased, I could then kill myself! I knew my nose was broken, but the X-Rays showed nothing but the pulverized bone.

My dentist couldn't be found, that Sunday. I saw another who took one look and said it was beyond him. My Dad flew me to another city, where they had a wheelchair, even though it was my teeth! I had sedated surgery, which for me has no affect on me.

Several years later, I transferred to another town, to be closer to my parents. My new dentist had a X-Ray machine where you stand up and it rotated 180 degrees. I heard another: "My God!" He brought the X-Ray to me and every bone in my face was fractured. I can only assume that X-Ray technology improved. I wish I had got a copy.

I just realized that I didn't state what happened formthemfew who are still reading. My Dad was flying the plane. When I exited, he heard one hell of a bump - his terms. As soon as the last jumper exited, Dad banked the plane to see me with one hand up and one hand down. He assumed that I broke an arm.

The real cause? Several causes. I shouldn't have jumped with a broken heart. The other pilot, for my previous 19 jumps, flew at 80mph instead of the 60mph, right at stalling, which is what he should have done. Dad assumed I had a weak exit, which went unnoticed due to the 80mph. My take on it was I was SO focused on looking up at the plane, that I forgot to push up.

My upper teeth, hit the metal step, on my way down. There wasn't a single cut to my lips, nor was there any pain. Apparently the nerves were severed. When I had surgery, years later, the surgeon said my nostrils were much more damaged than the MRI showed. Unfortunately, a week later, an artery ruptured. My only live in girlfriend, started another argument about nothing. I was laying there with my heart rapidly beating. Then, one minute later, she started snoring! That did it! I then felt something running down the back of my throat.

My nose still had a LOT of packing in there. I sat up and she asked what was wrong. I turned on the light and blood was everywhere. Without her, I wouldn't have made it to the E.R. A neighbor nurse was coming home and my girlfriend asked her to come along. The shorter version: I learned that Morphine had no pain reliving ability, whatsoever. A bad time to discover that. When I came into the E.R., the second time, a,woman leaving, looked at me and said: "Oh my God!" Then, six nurses ran to me. I suspect my face was white. I had a transfusion, which I refused, but they did it anyway.

The ENT on-call doctor showed up and inserted this device in my left nostril, then he inflated it with saline water, pushing against the freshly cut tissue. After an hour in my room, blood began running out of my other nostril. I begged my girlfriend to hold my hand, but the sight of blood freaked her out, so the doctor made her leave. The uncaring nurse didn't hold my hand.

Latter, after surgery, I threw up more blood than I thought possible. My face remained white for weeks. I'm sure that I should have received more blood. I was out of work for a month. Sorry, but it is still YOUR fault! Again, a sincere welcome
to you Stan!

PhantomFanatic,

Dude, after reading your post I feel like I had minor paper cut!

My skydive accident was landing accident - it was no wind day and my second jump for the day. On the first jump i did normal landing pattern as instructed but ivershooted the landing zone by at least 5 yards. On the second jump I corrected the landing pattern as instructed by my instructor so I can hit the landing zone. I was very close - no mire than 5 yards past it. The problem was that at the time I had to flare /pull the brakes/ to slow down for landing I found muself over big like river bed ditch designed to take away rain water from near by freeway. I flated and hoped that I will clear the ditch but was about feet short and hit the ditch wall with my legs extended forward fith about 15-20 mph as per witnesses. My left ankle did nit like it and decided to break.

In the emergency they tried to kill me by overdosed NORCO /hydrocodone/ and almost did it. I was hungry and dehydrated. When i got back home i was feeling strange and next moment I collapsed and swallowed my thong. Thanks god I was not alone so my friends managed to open my mouth with spoon and some other tortures and I recovered. The next day I went in to my ortopedic doctor's office /yes, i have personal ortopedic doctor/ and it was just week before my last check up appointment for my shoulder joint fracture. When the doctor saw me he said that apperantly my shoulder is doing fine ;)

The xrays and cat scan showed the brutal truth- multiple fractures and bone parts all over the place so no way without surgery.

With all that said I am going to jump again when ready ;)

My wife was mad on me - she told me that I have to choose between herrand skydiving. Very hard decision- I can't dump hur like this - we have a baby ;)

Only people who jumped will understand me - to free fall from 12 000' for about 45 seconds can not be compared to any other feel.

This was my fifth jump and my third solo /with instructor next to me during the freefall. Then I spend alot of time reading what was my mistake to learn from. I even developed altimeter with "landing aid" functionality so no guest work to be involved at low altitude.

I was ordered to not put any weight on the injured leg for 2 months after surgery. Including the 2 weeks before it it makes 2 and 1/2 monts not able to walk. Now I walk for the past 3 weeks. Still walk like Yoda from Star Wars /not so short, not so green, not so old and my ears are a bit smaller/ :)

I plan to fly my phantom safe. I plan to have it in good working condition for long time and this forum helped alot to collect some information regarding how to do it - thank you

It looks like today is THE day for first flight. The wind is less than 5 mph so I will give it a go.

Will let you know if I still have phantom or bag of ohantom parts ;)

I am back from my first flight with my new phantom 2 and everything went very well!

No problems of any kind, no crashes, no brocken parts and I am very happy :)

I have no idea how long I was in the air but used 2 batteries until I had one solid and one blinking light on the battery.

The flight was very simple and basic - forward, backward, left, right, up and down. Practiced take off and hand catch / at leaset 10 times each and tested fail safe few times but did not allow it to land - regained control at about 7-8 feet high.

Now I am happy as 4 years old kid :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31