New landing gear (Phantom)

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking for some pics or links for aftermarket landing gear. I found a few of the tubular types on e-bay, but don't like the look. What I'm trying to achieve is a wider foot print for grass landing, and with the stock set up, it wants to tip over. I've also tried some struts and tubes from my 700 class helicopter, but doesn't seem right. Any ideas? Thanks

I've seen quite a few posts regarding a problem with tipping over after landing. I'm wondering what 'shut down' method you might be using?? I have never had the slightest problem with this.....and what I do is, after touch down, just to continue to pull the left hand stick all the way down...in about 2-3 seconds, all of the motors will turn off....and high fives all around.

From what I've read on here, it seems that using the CSC method...the same one that is needed when you start the motors, seems to give problems... Am I positive about this? Nope....and I'm sure you will get conflicting opinions on this...just like all other topics..! I should also add that I have a P2V....don't know that it matters when it comes to this issue.

Just don't land it... I have never landed any of my phantoms after I became more comfortable with the controls. Just fly it close to you, put it in GPS mode and reach out and grab it while shutting the motors down with your other hand.

IMO the best landing gear for 1) wide-based stability AND 2) weight savings (!!!) over the OEM gear are the simensays 3D printer sticks. You buy the base mounts and then supply your own carbon-fiber rods. BE SURE you also a get the special compass mount that preserves the exact orientation of the compass as on the OEM gear. That said, I just can't stomach paying $50- $60 for four little plastic go-gaahs. Search and ye shall find.

Topeeka said:
I've seen quite a few posts regarding a problem with tipping over after landing. I'm wondering what 'shut down' method you might be using?? I have never had the slightest problem with this.....and what I do is, after touch down, just to continue to pull the left hand stick all the way down...in about 2-3 seconds, all of the motors will turn off....and high fives all around.

From what I've read on here, it seems that using the CSC method...the same one that is needed when you start the motors, seems to give problems... Am I positive about this? Nope....and I'm sure you will get conflicting opinions on this...just like all other topics..! I should also add that I have a P2V....don't know that it matters when it comes to this issue.

Mine tips too and I think you may have something there. I'll try a one stick landing and see how that does.

I can land it just fine, its not that, its taller grass and a gimbal is the culprit. So I figured wider and maybe taller.

I have the same problem in thick or soft grass with my Phantom wanting to topple over. In my opinion, DJI should have made the landing skids about 2-3" longer (wider) to allow for a more stable footprint. I've got some CF rods on the way and I'm planning on just using some zip ties to fasten them to the bottom of the existing landing skids on my Phantom. I'll try and get some photos up in the next day or two if I get the rods in.

I thought of the CF rods as well, but fear it might be too "springy" or wobbly. I might make my own out of CF panels and then attach some helicopter skids to it........idk. I saw I nice set on someone's vid on YouTube, but now I can't find it.

Here's what I did for a taller wider stance. I first bought a kit from China the broaden and heightened the landing gear. The risers were great, but the stance was still too narrow (I was trying to shoot straight down and not get the landing gear in the frame at wide angle setting). I made the extensions from 1/8" x 1" aluminum flat stock and a whole lot of drilling... The compass mount was made from a small piece of aluminum 1/16" x 1/2 angle stock. Note of caution: I mounted the compass to the leg with the steel bolt that came with the landing leg extensions. It was just enough steel to throw off the compass. I replaced all of the steel bolts with 3mm aluminum bolts and problem was solved. The whole landing leg additions weigh about 50 grams.

I had the same tipping problem when I first started flying and found that I was pulling both levers down when landing a reverse of take off. That was causing the Phantom to want to backwards, tipping over. Just pulling down on the throttle shut the copter down without tip over.

Attachments

• landing gear 003.jpg
    landing gear 003.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 986
  • landing gear 002.jpg
    landing gear 002.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 1,036
  • landing gear 001.jpg
    landing gear 001.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 1,007
9 times out of 10 I just bring the Phantom over to my position and then catch it and power down. It saves the debris damaging the GoPro lens.

When launching in dusty or snowy conditions, tilt the gimbal (if you have it) all the way up to help protect the lens. Then re-adjust visually or via POV.

Martin.

Regarding the tipping over at landing thing, I think it may be that when killing the motors they are spinning down at different speeds, not evenly.

I've had it happen a few times. I land it and the blades are spinning at the same rate. I kill the mothers and then then the unit tips.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20