New guy with a new Phantom 2

Reaction score
Hello Peoples

New guy here - just picked up a Phantom 2 yesterday - and I love it. Not my first drone, but my first big one. My others are indoor little ones, a Blade Nano QX, and 2 Estes Proto X.

Found this site researching FPV options for my P2, and am impressed with the community here, everyone seems quite knowledgable and helpful.

I took my first flights yesterday with the P2, and I can't believe how easy it is to fly, how stable it is, compared to my little ones. And I have no issues zipping the Nano QX around my house, through doors, up stair cases, etc. My only regret is not buying one sooner :D

Off to buy a case for it today, and some other goodies (gimbal/gopro - yes I know not to use the wifi on the camera/transmitter/receiver.) The best part of this "new" hobby is my wife is on-board! Will get me out of the house to go to parks and ravines to film/photograph with the drone, and she's an outdoor/excercise person. Win/Win for me, lol.

Cheers,

Zen

Welcome to the world of DJI>

You can use the GoPro wifi if you want to purchase the conversion kit that changes your Phantom from a 2.4Ghz to 5.8 Ghz.

At least that is what I've been told, and am working on right now. The Tx/Rx cost me an additional $188.00 at B&H

Darren

Thanks guys.

I specifically chose the 2.4Ghz for it's range and penetration. I would rather sacrifice FPV signal penetration than control.

I took my Phantom out yesterday for its first real flights. The first one was excellent. 10 solid minutes in the air. Which felt longer than that - The GoPro timer told me how long I was in the air. I had set my flight envelope to 100m x 100m. Large enough for day 1 :)

The second flight I got brave (read stupid) and flew it in a "clearing" with a considerable canopy. AND I left it in RTF-GPS. AND I didn't notice the low-batt warning. AND I panicked and forgot to flip a switch to regain control. So it started to climb, then hover, then tried to head back to home. Except there were branches in the way. Down it came, hard. Thankfully no damage, only the camera popped off, and the battery "self ejected." I was shaken for a good 2 hours after that. Took everything home, thorough inspection of everything, and a small test flight in my backyard on a fresh battery. All is good with my bird.

Things I learned:
- I love this hobby
- Sending a camera into the sky and watching it when you get home is awesome
- Memorize the manual - again.
- Learn to fly in ATTI
- Learn which mode is suitable for the environment you're flying in
- Memorize the manual - a third time
- Don't panic

The weather here is ugly today - so I may not get to fly. But I will edit my video from yesterday and post some if it.

EDIT: Thread with Vids viewtopic.php?f=6&t=27587&p=253694#p253694

Cheers,

Zen

I had a similar experience on my 4th flight - lost the LEDS in the sun, got the loss of video, followed by the dreaded loss of signal. Last seen, the bird was at 393 ft, a heading of 073, and 9 mph never to be seen again (the woods in that direction go for miles and look like Viet Nam).

Basically, I got cocky. I am an experienced licensed pilot, and an FAA approved Flight Engineer (with 4000+ hrs). What could go wrong? I flew three very successful flights the day before, but I let flight 4 go so high I lost directional cognizance, then flew it out of control range into bad bush.

My second one got here yesterday, but there will a SERIOUS number of local controlled flights before I do another stupid stunt. Also, I WILL be investing in the Ground Staion for BVF autonomous flights. And yes, there will be lots short, in view test flights for that too.

Flying this bird is easy - controlling it is another matter completely and it is FAST! It got away from me and over the tree line in seconds. after that Loss of Signal came within 5 to 8 seconds and it was gone. Yep - I was a dumba$$.

fly safe

WW

That sucks WW.

I spent the last week picking up stuff for my FPV setup and installing it. IRC600mw vtx, IRC Uno vrx, iOSD mini, 7" monitor, batteries, mount... Today was the first day that was decent enough to go fly. I kept it low and close, I'm no where near brave enough for these long-distance runs. Flying and watching the screen is a strange feeling, I could only do it for a minute. Checking battery status, sat count, or just yawing for a slow pano shot is ok. I figure I just need more experience.

I also tested FS mode, before I took it up higher, just to make sure all was well. Wind however is causing me to stress a bit when it's up higher than 25m. Winds were consistent at 15km/h, even when I took it up to 50m, there was little buffeting. But that wind rattled me when I was bringing it down. Horse back riders appeared out of no where, and my wife shouted to bring it down. With it facing me, forward on the right stick, down on left, so to not introduce VRS. I've read and watched enough horror stories. It suddenly yawed right and oscillated. I countered and got it down safely. It was in GPS mode, 60% battery when I landed, and it responded to every movement of the controls.

It strikes me as odd that a gust of wind would cause it to yaw. I would have expected a push with the wind. I don't want to let these things get to me, but I end up worried about crashing it hard, so I pack up, go home, and watch the video to try and understand what happened.

Zen

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31