New GoPro Hero to replace FC40 camera

Reaction score
Hi there!

I am intending on getting the new £99 budget GoPro Hero HD to replace the fc40 camera.

After looking at some images and reviews I *think* i'll get some problems getting it to fit/mount on the quadcopter.

The new GoPro is built in inside the waterproof case, so the mounts available now won't fit. I also have a cheap gimbal off ebay that uses the SimpleBGC software.

What I'm wondering is if anyone has any info/experience with the New GoPro and he DJI Phantom? How did you get it to fit/mount? Etc....

Cheers

The mount on the new one is the same as all the other GoPros, so it will be no problem. Only issue is that it has to mount upside down.

You should aim for a anti-vibration mount like this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GoPro-Her...l-F-DJI-Phantom-Walkera-QR-X350-/271607427166

Note: See the big horizontal screw? You'll just loosen that and remove the lower bracket part (which you won't need), and attach the GoPro there and refasten the screw.

What about the wifi?

Thanks CityZen, most helpful!

I also have a cheap gimbal connected, any suggestion how this GoPro could fit on the plate nicely, I suppose being upside down is an option.

I had heard the same as you - that you can't take it out of the waterproof housing. For that reason I decided to skip the gopro and get an SJ4000 instead, otherwise I would have gone for that. I don't think it will fit into a Walkera housing with the waterproof case on it (unless you resort to tie wraps...which is not out of the question).

sherpa said:
What about the wifi?
The GoPro3 has its own wifi using their app.

Lots of people have claimed flyaways due to the GoPro wifi interfering with the signal to the phantom receiver. If so why is it different with the FC40 version? Is it because the GoPro is 2.4/2.5GHz and the FC40 is 5.8GHz?

Vvvvv Straight from DJI's FC40 spec vvvvV

"The FC40 incorporates a 5.8 GHz control connection that won't interfere with the Wi-Fi streaming from the built-in FC40 camera or your own Wi-Fi equipped GoPro camera"

G Tek Fab said:
Lots of people have claimed flyaways due to the GoPro wifi interfering with the signal to the phantom receiver. If so why is it different with the FC40 version? Is it because the GoPro is 2.4/2.5GHz and the FC40 is 5.8GHz?

Vvvvv Straight from DJI's FC40 spec vvvvV

"The FC40 incorporates a 5.8 GHz control connection that won't interfere with the Wi-Fi streaming from the built-in FC40 camera or your own Wi-Fi equipped GoPro camera"

Not sure what you mean. Indeed, the GoPro wifi should NOT interfere with the drone one because they are running on different frequencies. This is one of the main selling points of the FC40.

The FC40 camera operates on 2.4. The gopro does as well, correct? if not how can the gopro and Phantom operate on the same freq?

sherpa said:
The FC40 camera operates on 2.4. The gopro does as well, correct? if not how can the gopro and Phantom operate on the same freq?
It doesn't matter because you're swapping the 2.4g fc40 cam for the 2.4g GoPro and the operating frequency of the Phanton controls is 5.8g.

Makes sence to me now. I guess the fc40 is the logical call if you're going to do a camera swap.

Are you saying any go pro (2,3 or 4) can be used with WIFI ON so as to have FPV (just like the FC40 camera) without flyaways!??!?!?

this is grate news!!!

hakasan said:
Are you saying any go pro (2,3 or 4) can be used with WIFI ON so as to have FPV (just like the FC40 camera) without flyaways!??!?!?

this is grate news!!!
Yes if you're using the FC40. I filmed with a GoPro on my FC40 all weekend with no problems at all, I also pushed the WiFi range to its limits and was able to get it pretty far before it dropped out. The good thing is the GoPro keeps recording when the fpv disconnects and the fpv picks back up when you fly back into range.

My only problem now is the rediculous delay between the GoPro and its fpv app. The fc40 cam and DJI app has a fraction of a second delay so I'm testing an fc40 camera to Tarot 2d gimbal adaptor today. The fc40 cam actually takes crystal clear vid so I'll be happy if I end up having this camera option.

I have a question. Can you use both the F40 camera and GoPro 3 at the same time, using two different android devices for FPV, one for the F40 to see where you are going and one for the GoPro for taking photos, using a tablet for the GoPro to frame the photos and a Phone for the F40 to see where you are going without the delay issues with the GoPro. I'm assuming I can attach the F40 to the battery cover with velcro and the GoPro in my Walkera G-2D 2 Axis Brushless Gimbal. I just mounted the Gimbal last night and haven't test flown it yet.
Thanks in advance for any advice you might be able to provide,
Fred

Hi Fred,

I'm pretty new at this but I seem to have a good understanding. I believe you may have issues as both camera wifis utilize 2.4GHz. The good thing is if your Phantom operates at 5.8GHz it won't hurt to give your idea a try as neither camera will interfere with the quad control.

I was actually thinking about trying the same thing. For the fc40 adaptor I made a simple plate out of carbon fiber and spaced it with carbon fiber tubing I cut off the landing gear when I shortened it, and yes Velcro to attach the camera.

That's a great mod. I'd like to get a 2-Axis Gimbal (Preferably the G2D Chinese Gimbal thingy) and I have wondered how it can be used with the FC40 camera. I heard the camera can fit but you need more weight because the gimbal is designed for GoPros which are heavier.

PsychopathRC said:
That's a great mod. I'd like to get a 2-Axis Gimbal (Preferably the G2D Chinese Gimbal thingy) and I have wondered how it can be used with the FC40 camera. I heard the camera can fit but you need more weight because the gimbal is designed for GoPros which are heavier.
Ya it hangs a little funny but once the gimbal is energized it positions itself perfectly and works great.

Hiya, I'm not understanding the CF plate and mount. Why not just use the GoPro mounting plate the gimbal came with?

Works for me (with extra weight to mimic a GoPro).

Does this work for you OK because of the added CF weight perhaps?

2014fc40 said:
Hiya, I'm not understanding the CF plate and mount. Why not just use the GoPro mounting plate the gimbal came with?

Works for me (with extra weight to mimic a GoPro).

Does this work for you OK because of the added CF weight perhaps?

The tarot GoPro mounting plate is still on there I just added the mounting plate to bring the fc40 cam forward a bit. I have no problem without the extra weight, like I said it only hangs funny when the power is turned off. Once the gimbal is energized the fc40 cam sits perfectly straight and functions great.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl